Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lumping is probably best IF you don't need to draw your poke at 4% like
Spartacus originally posted. Lumping vs. DCA would likely have a SMALL
advantage over a significant period of time, assuming no draw down.

However, if FIRECALC has show us anything, it is that the most
dangerous time to start your withdrawal is just before a market correction of major proportions.

Do you really understand your risk?

Cheers,

charlie

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado

What if you had the spectacular asset allocation, all the science/theories of investing, and then invested in Japanese markets "for the long term" 20 years ago?
20 years later, still down, never recovered?

What would a long term investor say to that? I don't know.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:45 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
What if you had the spectacular asset allocation, all the science/theories of investing, and then invested in Japanese markets "for the long term" 20 years ago?

I'd say they did not have a "spectacular" AA. A good AA would NOT have you 100% invested in your own domestic equity market.

DD
Old 11-24-2009, 06:25 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post

If they balance it out with other investments in China, India, etc they would be very happy today.
TJ
Old 11-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spartacus,

Why are you in such a rush to put that money into the market? The first rule of investing is don't lose money, and by lump summing it in at today's market levels with all the current economic uncertainty has a high level of dissapointment IMO.

Just park the money in some online bank accounts, get your piddly 1.5%, and be ready when the stock market corrects when the Fed starts raising rates. Could be a year or so, but so what? Don't rush. I've done that (rushed) a few times in my investment and business career, always with bad results.

Slow down. Take a breath. Do nothing until you KNOW it's the right time. I really think the opportunity to get into the market will present itself farily soon.

I'm waiting as well..............................
Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Do nothing until you KNOW it's the right time. I really think the opportunity to get into the market will present itself farily soon.

The crystal ball is never as clear as the rear view mirror. We've had folks here who've given up a lot of gains by waiting until their bunion told them to get into the market. If these folks have the knack to know when the time is right to buy and sell, then they are wasting their time with their piddly portfolio, they could make a million dollars a year advising a pension fund using their unique talent or system. Maybe they'll come out ahead.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Spartacus,

Why are you in such a rush to put that money into the market? The first rule of investing is don't lose money, and by lump summing it in at today's market levels with all the current economic uncertainty has a high level of dissapointment IMO.

Slow down. Take a breath. Do nothing until you KNOW it's the right time. I really think the opportunity to get into the market will present itself farily soon.

Money is made by investing when times are uncertain, not when everything is looking good. What's the phrase, invest money when there is blood on the streets?
Put 50% in the market now, 25% 6 months from now and another 25% 12 months from now, the worst that will happen is you won't be 100% correct, but you won't be 100% wrong either.
And if investing (as oppose to speculating), it won't matter much 10 years from now.
Many hedge managers have been shorting the market since it hit 9000 months ago because they were all calling for 10% pullback, it was a certainty...except it never happen, opps? Wait till their investors find out they would have been better off with an index fund instead of the high price hedge fund.
TJ
Old 11-24-2009, 01:28 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So, if you buy on the dips is that market timing or just wise investing? Or is that a product of procrastination since you shouldn't have had that much cash on the sidelines to begin with?