Join Early Retirement Today

Big tIRA distribution now to pay future foreign taxes?
Old 07-02-2018, 08:18 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Big tIRA distribution now to pay future foreign taxes?

Next year I'll begin living in a foreign country I'll call Taxlandia. For my target annual income (including SS) I have 2 choices: 23.5k foreign taxes on a 58k tIRA distribution, or zero taxes on 30k from a taxable account (TA). That would drain the TA in 1 year. However, building a TA before 2019 by paying 49k taxes on a 200k tIRA distribution pays for 5 years in Taxlandia at the cost of 2 years of their taxes. (Estimates don't include taxes on interest, dividends and cap gains.)

Other advantages of a tIRA distribution to TA include
- During a bear market, harvest losses followed by a pseudo wash sale.
- Able to establish cost basis for tax advantaged share lot or specific share sales (can't in current tIRA).

Disadvantages include:
- TA distributions may push my US income beyond the 12% bracket. The tIRA distribution would be taxed twice. Obviously the monies would be in tax advantaged funds.
- The loss of long term tax free growth.

I need feedback. Does this make sense? What am I missing?

SS & Assets (Vanguard Idx funds).
SS - 20.4k Age 63
Roth - 206k. 100% equities.
tIRA - 710k. 49% equity, 42% bond, 9% cash
Cash - 32.3k

In Taxlandia:
- A treaty prevents double taxation.
- Zero tax on SS. However, it's added to taxable income to calculate their taxes.
- Both IRA types taxed as income.
- Interest, dividends, cap gains (ST & LT) at 28% in the year they're earned.
- Income tax rates:
First 2.4k beyond SS at 28.5%
Next 23.7k at 37%
Next 46.9k at 45%
Beyond that at 48%

In anticipation of questions:
- My Taxlandia estimates are based on info from their translated tax codes, KPMG and PwC.
- Of course the tax situations in both countries could change.
- Retired and became an expat in 2008. Taxlandia will be my 3rd country of residence.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2018, 10:55 PM   #2

I don’t understand. You say there is a treaty so no double taxation, yet say that tIRA distribution will be taxed twice in Taxlandia.

US Foreign Tax Credit should be available to you to mitigate double taxation.

If I were you I’d hire a CPA with US & new country experience to help you make an informed decision.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
I don’t understand. You say there is a treaty so no double taxation, yet say that tIRA distribution will be taxed twice in Taxlandia.
I don't understand where you see the tIRA distribution will be taxed twice in Taxlandia. Your quoting that would help me see it.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Under the heading Disadvantages:
The tIRA distribution would be taxed twice.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
I don't understand where you see the tIRA distribution will be taxed twice in Taxlandia. Your quoting that would help me see it.

Here are the two conflicting statements:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
<snip>
Disadvantages include:
- The tIRA distribution would be taxed twice.

<snip>
In Taxlandia:
- A treaty prevents double taxation.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Under the heading Disadvantages:
The tIRA distribution would be taxed twice.
The context is the initial tIRA distribution would occur this year. A year in which I'm not living in Taxlandia and thus not subject to their taxes.

Maybe if you'd quoted this:
>- TA distributions may push my US income beyond the 12% bracket. The tIRA distribution would be taxed twice.

You would have seen the cause and effect money flow of: tIRA distribution to TA to TA distributions as taxable income.

FYI, taxed twice is not double taxation. Consider a US tax bill of 5k and a Taxlandia tax bill of 15k on the same income. That's taxed twice. Paying 20k is double taxation. Paying 15k to taxlandia, then the US giving a 5k tax credit is taxed twice with a tax treaty that prevents double taxation.