Join Early Retirement Today

Big Up Day So Far
Old 10-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Big Up Day So Far

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:33 AM   #2

Good day for equities. Terrible day for inflation plays. I think the market is grossly underestimating the inflationary potential of the massively increased debt and money supply that will result from central banks cranking up the printing presses.

I'm actually increasing my allocation to gold miners and TIPS today, carved out of my overweight Treasury and cash positions. They are getting brutalized. If you don't drink the deflation Kool-Aid, TIPS are a screaming buy here.

Unfortunately, I planned to rebalance my stock allocation, too -- hate to do that today, but if this is the start of a serious oversold rally, maybe I should rebalance halfway.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Big Up Day So Far
Old 10-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Big Up Day So Far

My 5 day rebound plan is unfolding.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Methinks someone is trying to jinx things.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

The latest value of the DOW is just brain gunk that distracts Americans from other more fundamental measures of economic and societal health that are much more important in the long run.

Massive borrowing can certainly create the illusion of prosperity. If we can collectively maintain the illusion until the day I die, should I really give a damn whether future generations will have to deal with ugly reality? It depends, I suppose, upon whether I can stand to look myself in the mirror in the morning.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #6

I am thinking about selling an equivalent to the modest $10,000 I put into the market at good buys last week, calculating my modest profit and doing something joyful with it.

I don't usually think this way. I was fully invested and put that $10,000 in as my last bit to put in.

There's just something about these times that makes me sometimes want a good, solid experience to come from my virtual money. Depending on the amount, it could fund sharing a rum cake from the best bakery with good friends, or heading down to NYC to see some things.

Kate
Old 10-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Going to be a huge sell off at the end of the day.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Well, as someone who still needs to finish rebalancing after all the recent carnage, I can see that as a glass-half-full event.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 10-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
I am thinking about selling an equivalent to the modest $10,000 I put into the market at good buys last week, calculating my modest profit and doing something joyful with it.

I don't usually think this way. I was fully invested and put that $10,000 in as my last bit to put in.

There's just something about these times that makes me sometimes want a good, solid experience to come from my virtual money. Depending on the amount, it could fund sharing a rum cake from the best bakery with good friends, or heading down to NYC to see some things.

Kate
Well, I did it. I sold a small number of shares of what I purchased last week. Never did it like this before, though I've heard stories of people who do. I suspect it will fund a nice cake from the bakery, but if it's enough I'll take a trip to NYC to spend time with a blind friend who always knows what to see.

Kate
Old 10-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Dow +760 with 15 minutes to go.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:53 PM   #11
Administrator

Up 826 points and less than 7 minutes to go!!!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #12

You can all thank me for this rally.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Don't give up your day job...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
The latest value of the DOW is just brain gunk that distracts Americans from other more fundamental measures of economic and societal health that are much more important in the long run.
I agree. Sometimes it seems that people treat the DOW as if its a representation of the entirety of the US economy. Yay, the DOW's up for the day, all our problems are solved!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Don't give up your day job...
What job?

Oh and tomorrow we will have another big rally.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I hope you didn't short the market this afternoon. My 5 day plan is looking good.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #17
Administrator

Looks like almost 1000 points at closing!!! We need an emoticon of throwing confetti.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompoundInterestFan View Post
I agree. Sometimes it seems that people treat the DOW as if its a representation of the entirety of the US economy. Yay, the DOW's up for the day, all our problems are solved!
Obviously that's not the case -- but let's face it, mentality and sentiment play a role in just how far back consumers and investors pull back. And the more they retrench, the worse it could get.

So while one nearly 950ish-point gain on the Dow and 105 point run on the S&P hardly mean we're saved, I think every bit of positive sentiment the markets and the economy can salvage is a little bit less the coming economic weakness will bite into us. Sentiment goes a long way into influencing consumer and investor behavior.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I hope you didn't short the market this afternoon. My 5 day plan is looking good.
No I buy and hold. Pretty boring stuff.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Looks like almost 1000 points at closing!!! We need an emoticon of throwing confetti.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote