Biggest decision - asset allocation

I have a 40/50/10 mix with a target withdrawal of 3%. But I have plenty of fat in the budget and could easily manage on 2% withdrawal rate.

18 months on from when I wrote this reply. I continued to re-balance towards my RE target date of 35/50/15 and continued to save as much as I could and NW as of Jan 2010 was 23% higher than Jan 2008. I RE this month and am at my target AA. YMMV

Maybe you should decide what AA you have at various stages before ER and re-balance towards those goals.

My retirement account was 90% in equities as I approached retirement and my taxable account was 20% in equities. I stumbled across articles about how unlikely it was to recover from a big bear market during the first few years of retirement. That was the main factor scaring me into 40% bonds for the retirement account. By sheer luck I did this before the last bull market ended. If I still had the links to the articles I'd include them.

I did promise myself that if we got back, I would seriously relook at our asset allocation. Fortunately I have not sold, and have ridden the wave back up to the point where net worth is within 10% of 2007. Do I look at this rebound as the chance to take some money off the table, or of the resiliency of stocks and of their long-term strength? At any rate, it is nice to be back!

Welome back! Just because you were 90% equity doesn't mean you have to stay there. All of us are very fortunate the market has rebounded so quickly. None of us knows where the market will go from here but we should all be able to describe how we enjoyed the ride or not. We all should have an IPS and an AA plan.

Looks like a lot of folks here are 60/40 or 50/50 of course individual circumstances vary. AA should be based on willingness, need and ability to take risk. If you've already attained your number you don't have the need. Bogle would say age in bonds.

I've been near 50/50 for much of the past decade. It's provided nice returns and reasonable stability. Since I can't see the future and don't know which will outperform, 50/50 seems like a good, safe position.

It's interesting that we seem to always hear from the people that decreased their stock allocation just before the crash.
I was 50 equity/50% bonds before the crash. I thought that 50% equity was my tolerable risk level. It wasn't. Now my allocation is 30% equity and the rest short term/int term bonds/TIPS and cash. I did this mostly by adding new monies with little selling. And I suspect there are a lot of peeps like me out there.
I do not plan to let the AA creep back up, even if the bulls are running.

The magic of a portfolio composed of uncorrelated asset classes is that you can have a higher overall return than the average of the separate asset classes. That is, adding an uncorrelated asset that has a lower return, could raise your portfolio return.

I know this is the theory, and the party line, but I have lost faith in this truism.

I suspect it is true during long periods of "normal" markets. But from what I've seen, when the fertilizer hits the air-conditioning, EVERYTHING is correlated, and it all goes down. Except inverse funds, and it makes no sense to hold them and go long at the same time unless you like paying fees.

At least this certainly seems to be the case with all equity classes, whether domestic, foreign, small, large, resource etc. Bonds maybe don't behave quite so radically.

I know it is total heresy, but I'm going to come right out and say it. I put my faith in market timing.

Before everybody howls and tells me how I have to be right twice, I will say that it is not my intent to beat the market. I can not underperform the market over the long term, and NOT suffer nearly the drawdowns.

I can still hold "uncorrelated" investments, but I don't have to sit like a duck on a pond while I'm sluiced and gutted.

I started out as a DMT in the 1980s, and it served me well. Everytime I've abandoned it, it's usually been a mistake. The propaganda against it is generally produced by the fund companies (fancy that), flawed at that. "If you miss the thirty best days" etc. They never point out that you will likely miss the 30 worst days as well since bear markets have the highest volatility.

Personally, I consider timing a form of asset allocation. One of the few advantages a small investor has over the big boys is nimbleness--the ability to totally cash out a position without creating a burp in the market. I've been more sucessfull when I've used this ability than when I didn't. The trick is to use a mechanical system and not second-guess yourself.

There.....I'm out of the closet. Bring on the flames.

mark500...Are you retired? I am 56 and planning to work for another 6 years. Currently, I'm at 55% equity but after the crash am now considering dropping that to 40% (to sleep better).

EDIT: Maybe even down to 30%. :_)

I am in my 4th year of ER and have recently changed my asset allocation to 70/30; previously was at 60/40. I changed to more accurately account for non-COLA'd DB pension in the mix.

I know this is the theory, and the party line, but I have lost faith in this truism.

I suspect it is true during long periods of "normal" markets. But from what I've seen, when the fertilizer hits the air-conditioning, EVERYTHING is correlated, and it all goes down.

It has ALWAYS been true that correlations approach 1.0 when markets fall drastically. In my mind "normal" markets include the major drops just as much as the long climbs upward.

Also not everything fell, if you had a healthy dose of treasuries as part of your AA they were a safe haven in the worst of the decline.

DD

It has ALWAYS been true that correlations approach 1.0 when markets fall drastically. In my mind "normal" markets include the major drops just as much as the long climbs upward.

Also not everything fell, if you had a healthy dose of treasuries as part of your AA they were a safe haven in the worst of the decline.

DD

I did, and still the market drop was pretty sobering even though my treasuries did not drop.

I will never ditch the idea of holding normally uncorrelated asset classes, though. What we experienced in 2008-2009 was the worst meltdown since the Great Depression, from what I read. Asset classes that are normally uncorrelated can still balance one another as expected during lesser market dips.

55 eq 45 fixed for me, 48 yrs old, was mostly equities just a couple of years ago, then read the Four Pillars, Smartest Investing Book You'll Ever Read, Boglehead's Guide etc... May be a bit conservative but, willing to live with a point less of return to smooth the volatility, plus it didn't hurt when I did the shift early 08 with respects to riding out last year.

Personally, I consider timing a form of asset allocation. One of the few advantages a small investor has over the big boys is nimbleness--the ability to totally cash out a position without creating a burp in the market. I've been more sucessfull when I've used this ability than when I didn't. The trick is to use a mechanical system and not second-guess yourself.

Bosco, would you share your system?

Bosco, would you share your system?

I use a variation of

SSRN-A Quantitative Approach to Tactical Asset Allocation by Mebane T. Faber

The paper is well worth downloading and reading even if you don't have any inclination to use the method.

The variation is that I slice the portfolio up into a few more pieces, and tweak the asset allocation a bit.

I refuse to employ anything proprietary--it has to be simple, robust (i.e. same bascic method works across several asset classes), and easily backtestable, although most modern ETFs don't have enough data to do a meaningful historical backtest.

Once again I would like to say that my purpose is not to beat the underlying index or ETF. The purpose is to attain roughly the same gain at significantly lower volatility. Volatility kills returns--it costs money. Otar details the whys and wherefores.

I have also followed this site over the years with interest.

Mojena Market Timing

it's done pretty well over the years, but I won't commit $ to it since I can't see how it works.

As an addendum, I will add that any method that I would consider should not trade frequently, nor have a lot of whipsaws. This method has built into it a 30 day wait between trades which can help or hurt on any given switch but probably is a wash over the long haul.

One of the problems with any system is getting discouraged due to whipsaws or underperformance. These methods will underperform a surging bull market, save you from big downdrafts, and do reasonably well in choppy sideways markets if they don't whipsaw too frequently. This method seems to meet these criteria.

Am curious how folks break down their fixed income allocation. Aside from duration, credit quality, etc. I think about these other "buckets":
1) within balanced funds; allows some overall portfolio balancing to be done by professionals
2) bond mutual funds or etfs of various flavors; professional management and probably better returns over time, but loss of principal stability
3) directly owned securities including CDs, treasuries, etc; stable principal but illiquid (assuming you hold to maturity)
4) true cash; e.g., money market funds; stable principal and liquid

I am currently wrestling with how much to allocate between buckets 2 and 3.

1st. I put into Bonds what I figure I will need that a 4% income from it will pay..( past 10 yrs it's ave. 7.2% apy and 4.3% ylds)
2nd. That left me over 50% of my $ to invest into more aggressive investments such as Balanced Funds..( past 10 yrs a 9.8% apy ) to build an estae for heirs and charities..

Both have made more than enough $ , reinvested in same to double our needed amts to fund our retirment..

I sincerely doubt ( or hope) neither will loose 50%....but if it does, we will still have plenty to take care of things.

Wether the next 10 yrs will do the same for others remains to be seen..

I'd like to see another early 80's/Carter yrs of Very high LT treasuries , like it did for my parents -Perfect timing for them, just retiring and locking in all their $ into them and getting those 10+% rates..

and if A Paul Volker gets incahrge, it might happen again..

Back
Top Bottom