Join Early Retirement Today

Bill Gross Panics, Becomes Pincko Commie
Old 09-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bill Gross Panics, Becomes Pincko Commie

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...overs_by_index

Government must replace private investors who either don't want to or don't have the money to buy assets, says boy bond wonder Gross.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like Gross has finally succumbed to the temptation of the Financial Apocalypse Kool-Aid....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

What!? I moved $100k from cash to Wellington (VWENX) today. Wish I'd read this first...
Old 09-04-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Whoa! For a second I thought about sending a telegram to my Vanguard computers rebalancing my Target Retirement to hold up and watch the football game tonight.

On second thought I'll watch the game and let the computers keep on doing their thing.

heh heh heh -

Pssst - Wellesley 4.69% SEC yield on the VG website a few minutes ago.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What!? I moved $100k from cash to Wellington (VWENX) today. Wish I'd read this first...
Show off!

Seriously, the thing all this market madness has taught me is that I will definitely have a different level of risk tolerance once I'm no longer an accumulator. Sure, the market is having a sale, but all you retirees are trying to sell, not buy!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
Show off!

Seriously, the thing all this market madness has taught me is that I will definitely have a different level of risk tolerance once I'm no longer an accumulator. Sure, the market is having a sale, but all you retirees are trying to sell, not buy!
Hey pay no attention to what we do-it's what we say that matters!

Ha
Old 09-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Hey pay no attention to what we do-it's what we say that matters!

Ha
Absolutely correct! Those silly Vanguard computers rebalancing my Target Retirement 2015 have never paid me any attention.

I am free - free to watch football, scream and yell, worry about the market, post here a lot and just hurry up and just stand there.

Near as I can tell - as long as they get their juice to run, the computers are happy.

Not one is named Hal nor do they pick football games!

heh heh heh - so ya think Bill Gross has enough juice to talk the market around to his view? .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mom always told me to worry about those "financial tsunamis"
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:50 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

What is needed is more control and regulation. If banks, funds, pension funds, and other financial institutions are ruining the markets because of misbehavior... we need sweeping change with the regulators.

New laws and regulation that can be used to put those people in jail and make them disgorge is what is needed. Not unlike the RICO statute for organized crime (but different). If a pattern emerges, throw the book at them. I am talking about market manipulation in clever ways.. not normal risk taking and investing. These activities ruin people and economies.

As long as these people (CEOs and Upper mgmt) are using other people money and able to get away with swindling people and then blame it on the markets (that they manipulated) or the bubble (that they created)... They will continue.

What sucks is that the last several bubbles... some smart people made out big time... many institutions were ruined and the average investor and the tax payer winds up scr3wed.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:41 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Could Bill Gross have a "conflict of interests" here?

Pimco, a unit of Munich-based Allianz SE, is seeking to take advantage of declines in home-loan bonds. The firm is raising as much as $5 billion to buy mortgage-backed debt that has plunged in value, according to two investors with knowledge of the matter. The Distressed Senior Credit Opportunities Fund will invest in securities backed by commercial and residential mortgages, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the fund is private.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:45 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
A little market timing?
Old 09-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
A little market timing?
Absolutely not! Merely rebalancing to keep my AA in line....
Old 09-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
What is needed is more control and regulation. If banks, funds, pension funds, and other financial institutions are ruining the markets because of misbehavior... we need sweeping change with the regulators.

New laws and regulation that can be used to put those people in jail and make them disgorge is what is needed. Not unlike the RICO statute for organized crime (but different).
Yeah, regulation and new laws work soooo well.

I don't have a problem with holding people responsible for their actions. I just don't think our government (made up of the people you are talking about and their buddies) is going to do it. For that matter, the last major use of the RICO anti-racketeering law that I remember was to put a little old lady in jail for growing medicinal marijuana for her own use in a state where it is legal.

So while I don't disagree with your sentiment, new laws and regulations just tend to be smokescreens to make everyone 'feel' like something was done, while business goes on as usual. JMHO, of course.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Gross is just doing what our government itself has been doing for some time comrades. The Repubs are Red, as are the Dems.

Come on now.
Where are all those pejoratives about "tin-foil hats" that were so abundant on this site a few months ago?
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:19 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Yeah, regulation and new laws work soooo well.

I don't have a problem with holding people responsible for their actions. I just don't think our government (made up of the people you are talking about and their buddies) is going to do it. For that matter, the last major use of the RICO anti-racketeering law that I remember was to put a little old lady in jail for growing medicinal marijuana for her own use in a state where it is legal.

So while I don't disagree with your sentiment, new laws and regulations just tend to be smokescreens to make everyone 'feel' like something was done, while business goes on as usual. JMHO, of course.

I am all for punishing the perps.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Could Bill Gross have a "conflict of interests" here?

Pimco, a unit of Munich-based Allianz SE, is seeking to take advantage of declines in home-loan bonds. The firm is raising as much as $5 billion to buy mortgage-backed debt that has plunged in value, according to two investors with knowledge of the matter. The Distressed Senior Credit Opportunities Fund will invest in securities backed by commercial and residential mortgages, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the fund is private.
Seems he could be associated with worse than pinko commies...parent company (and annuity seller) Allianz wasn't satisfied with their name on just a stadium in Europe, they were 99% of the way towards putting their name on the new meadowlands stadium that the new jersey jets and new jersey giants play in. But not now

ESPN - Allianz's past ties with Nazis led to widespread criticism; teams still negotiating - NFL
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #17
Administrator

Bill Gross' fund, Pimco, made $1.7 billion on the day the Fed bailed out Fannie and Freddie. I'll say he had a conflict.