Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-08-2016, 07:12 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I use my 2% back Fidelity VISA for gas, electricity, internet and insurance. It is free money.
My son's college accepts credit cards for tuition etc without an extra fee, too.
Anything that can be paid with the card without extra fees goes on the card.

So it's like a 2% pay raise without the taxes.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 07:33 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yes, we pay bills with CCs whenever we can. The only gotcha is when your card is replaced, then you have to remember to update all your auto-billed service providers.
Same here. I keep a list of bills I pay via credit card on my computer, so it's easier to update all the bills if the number or expiration date changes (and it's easily available to DW in case I croak). I learned that the hard way. But I'd say 75% of our expenses and expenditures are put on the credit card. The only exceptions are the ones that would charge a fee. It makes tracking expenses so easy to have the consolidated report capability.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:37 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Do most places require service fees that are more than 2% of the amount? Utility bills, water bills, and tax bills, my son's rent & tuition bills, they all collect service fees higher than 2%. Although many credit cards have sign-up bonuses that are more than 2%, I usually do not use credit cards to pay those bills. I do use credit cards to pay cell phone and internet bills monthly.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
Do most places require service fees that are more than 2% of the amount? Utility bills, water bills, and tax bills, my son's rent & tuition bills, they all collect service fees higher than 2%. Although many credit cards have sign-up bonuses that are more than 2%, I usually do not use credit cards to pay those bills. I do use credit cards to pay cell phone and internet bills monthly.
The bills I don't pay with a CC tend to charge ridiculously high fees. Things like gov't related bills like RE taxes, water and sewer, etc. Usually 3-5%. Not worth it to me. I'll mail them a check if they're going to be like that.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:55 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have all recurring bills on auto-pay using the Fidelity 2% VISA. None of them charge a fee for using the card. There's one local utility that has no auto-pay option, so I still pay them via online bill-pay. Our insurance company accepts the VISA, but not auto-pay. I have to login to their website and initiate the payment every 6 months. As others have said, property tax imposes a huge fee, so I pay them via bill-pay as well. We try to pay all medical expenses with the VISA also, but sometimes I'll use bill-pay for a small invoice that comes in the mail. I've thought about using bank auto-pay for the credit cards themselves. But right now they're paid via bill-pay as well.

AA: 45% stock, 35% bonds, 15% real estate, 5% cash
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:09 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Everything possible on CC autopay, and the CC bill auto pulled from our checking account. We track every expenditure through Quicken and are always checking our bank accounts, so we catch any hiccups very - often too - quickly. A few places won't do auto card pulls, but do accept cards, so I visit them if I must or call in CC payments. Normally pay those in multi-month installments - six months of $600+/month apartment water bills is a handy way of knocking out a new CC bonus spending requirement.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Pay all recurring bills that do NOT charge a fee on CC for airline points. The recurring are on auto pay. Pay credit card in full every month. Pay all medical bills, house & car insurance on CC but have to do this via their website 2x a year. Started putting groceries on CC also, unless I need cash back and then use debit card.
If there is a fee (property tax) then I write a check.
I have used miles to upgrade to 1st class, buy 2 tickets to Europe, and various other flights within US.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Credit Cards, what's a Credit Card?
A means to an end to get thousands of dollars of free travel. Paying all your bills with them is a perfect example.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:59 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use my CC daily and rarely use cash, hardly ever take cash out of the bank.
I pay bills that do not charge a fee with my CC, otherwise pay online via bank account.

Currently working on spending 4K in 3 months to get 50,000 Chase points (worth $500 minimum).
Old 09-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #30

I'm uncomfortable putting all on CC. It's similar to what some say about FB, "If you're not paying for it, you're the product."
Old 09-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
I'm uncomfortable putting all on CC. It's similar to what some say about FB, "If you're not paying for it, you're the product."
The merchant is the one carrying the cost of the transaction. They will usually pass some of the cost onto the consumer in the price of the product. So you are paying for use of the card whether you use it or not.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
The merchant is the one carrying the cost of the transaction. They will usually pass some of the cost onto the consumer in the price of the product. So you are paying for use of the card whether you use it or not.
Very true. If the price remains reasonable I can choose to pay via other means rather than also be the product.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Same here, and after our CC had been compromised and replaced a couple of times some years back I moved all our automatic payments to a single rewards card which never leaves the house and is never used for anything other than the automatic payments.
I learned this from the fine folk here, and thought it was a really good idea. It only takes one compromised credit card experience to appreciate how time-consuming it is to contact all the merchants. I do use rewards credit cards for as many purchases as I can do without fees. I put the CC on autopay for the full amount. My FICO score has never been higher since I started doing that.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #34

I pat most things by credit card and typically enjoy a free cruise each year because of it. I pay my cc bills as soon as they show up on my accounts that I check daily. That helps me spot potentially fraudulent activity too, but drives DW crazy because she can't get any purchase by me, not that I care.

Enjoying life!
Old 09-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Like others have mentioned, we pay all bills via CC for ease and to acquire cash back credits. We have been doing this for well over 10 years. Our local utilities and water will not accept CC so they deduct the cost directly from our checking account. I can not recall that last check that I have written.

Any money that we receive or pay out goes through our checking account so we have an easy paper trial to account for all ins and outs. I wish all of life's issues were this easy to deal with.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:22 PM   #36

We have two credit cards. One is used for bills. Almost all on auto-pay. The other we charge just about all other purchaser, except restaurants that would take the card out of my view to ring up the charge. I have a prepaid card I use for gas and those times. Everything gets paid in full each month.

We do this because I got tired of replacing cards when they were cloned, most of the time at gas stations.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Very true. If the price remains reasonable I can choose to pay via other means rather than also be the product.
I think you miss the point. Unless the merchant offers a cash discount you are already paying the price of using the CC. By using one (and paying it off every month so as to never pay interest or penalties) you get the benefit of the cash back or miles or whatever. By not using a CC you are definitely part of the product. Not to say there's never a reason not to use a CC. Staying under the radar with cash has it's advantages.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:39 PM   #38

I use my Amex Blue Cash Preferred to pay every bill that I can. The exception is if they charge a fee to use a credit card that would be larger than the cash back I would get from using the credit card. I pay the Amex card in full each month so no issue with debt.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:07 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
My son's college accepts credit cards for tuition etc without an extra fee, too.

Anything that can be paid with the card without extra fees goes on the card.

So it's like a 2% pay raise without the taxes.

I tried to pay my son's tuition with the cc after his 529 ran out but the hefty fee stopped me.

We pay most bills by credit card or online banking. I pay the credit card off completely (bring balance to zero) 2 days before the due date. I have two major cards, one cash back and one airline miles. Putting our health insurance premiums on the credit card means lots of miles/cash back.

Also, paying everything by credit card helps with budgeting as I can categorize the statements each month.

I've had to replace cards several times over my lifetime due to fraudulent charges and twice my wallet was stolen. Never lost money. It's much safer to use a credit card than direct withdrawal. You're liability is only $50 if that.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forumle
Wm
Old 09-09-2016, 05:13 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

i pay everything on a chase card. it auto pays out of my checking account. i draw $200 out of the ATM ever 3 or 4 months as i rarely use cash. i have 9 $100 bills in my sock drawer now