Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
I'm sorry, but you can't heap all of the blame on employers. On-the-job training is a luxury that most employers can't offer in a down economy where they're operating on skeleton crews.
It's not ALL on the employers, but people like this woman act like it's all the fault of people who are struggling to make ends meet, as if all of them are only struggling because they are defective. If only they were willing to work, they'd be rich! As is usually the case, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

There are some companies that are struggling, sure. But even companies posting record profits are doing this as a regular practice now (this is why people have to put in 60 hour weeks and work through their "vacation" even as they haven't sniffed a raise in 5 years -- ALL redundancy has been removed and everyone is a potential single-point failure on the job). I've been at this for 25 years. I've seen how the industry has changed. And it has little to do with actual profitability. The down economy is an ongoing excuse for many of them. The reality is that many of them are more profitable than ever, but shareholders won't let the executives treat labor decently because, in this market, they don't HAVE to. They can treat their workers like crap and get away with it because people are desperate.

Even the most profitable companies are operating on skeleton crews now.

Shareholders are demanding double-digit earnings growth in a no-growth economy. That math doesn't work. The only way they can do that, when they can't increase revenues, is to cut costs by screwing their employees.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As a data point, the max UE benefit in TX is $426/wk...

I wouldn't take just any job when I was laid off, because I needed to be able to look for a "real" job. Besides, many employers won't hire an "over-qualified" candidate, because they know you'll be looking elsewhere, and leave as soon as possible.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 08-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hey, look at it this way. Even crazy people can get rich! How about that?

In fact, quite a few rich people are crazy, or act crazy. Well, maybe not as many as those exist among the poor peasants, but the presence of rich crazy people gives me hope. Perhaps I can be rich some day.

Wait a minute! First, I have to get off my ass and go back to work, just like this woman said. Damn!
Rich people aren't never crazy, some are just eccentric
TJ
Old 08-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I am not rich, but I like to call myself eccentric. Other people may just call me crazy.

In the end, I decided not to care.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It's not ALL on the employers, but people like this woman act like it's all the fault of people who are struggling to make ends meet, as if all of them are only struggling because they are defective. If only they were willing to work, they'd be rich! As is usually the case, the truth is somewhere in the middle.
Maybe the author of the article and/or the interviewer wanted her to sound that way? [Channeling Captain Renault from Casablanca] The media never tries to shade a story in order to create or fan a controversy.

Assuming that they didn't shade things, her perspective is that of a hard-nosed employer, not an objective observer of the situation. Of course she is going to see things from her viewpoint. In her world, everyone has their hand out or tries to put it in her pocket, so naturally she will be cynical of most people who are not in her position.

Quote:
There are some companies that are struggling, sure. But even companies posting record profits are doing this as a regular practice now (this is why people have to put in 60 hour weeks and work through their "vacation" even as they haven't sniffed a raise in 5 years -- ALL redundancy has been removed and everyone is a potential single-point failure on the job).
True, but again, you have to see things from their perspective. Their loyalty is to their shareholders first and their employees second. This is how capitalism works. The shareholders control the company, while employees simply work for the company. This is perhaps a cold and heartless perspective, but it is nonetheless reality. The exception is where a business is closely-held and the owner(s) treat employees like family, with a willingness to take less profits (or even no profits) to ensure that their employees still have a paycheck.

Quote:
I've been at this for 25 years. I've seen how the industry has changed. And it has little to do with actual profitability. The down economy is an ongoing excuse for many of them. The reality is that many of them are more profitable than ever, but shareholders won't let the executives treat labor decently because, in this market, they don't HAVE to. They can treat their workers like crap and get away with it because people are desperate. Even the most profitable companies are operating on skeleton crews now.
In clarification of my prior remark, it's not always the shareholders who are actively controlling things, but rather the perception of corporate management that the shareholders (i.e. Wall Street) won't be satisfied with anything less than double-digit growth. On the other hand, employees often treat their employers like crap when the economy is good, taking a new job at the drop of a hat if the pay and benefits are better. How do you think the employer feels after someone has received training, benefits, vacation, etc... in other words, all the "goodies" and then bolts for greener pastures?

Quote:
Shareholders are demanding double-digit earnings growth in a no-growth economy. That math doesn't work. The only way they can do that, when they can't increase revenues, is to cut costs by screwing their employees.
But it does work - case in point the current economy. When growth is scarce, the only thing you can do is cut overhead. Shareholders expect their investments to grow.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
How do you think the employer feels after someone has received training, benefits, vacation, etc... in other words, all the "goodies" and then bolts for greener pastures?
My wife's nephew worked for a place that paid for his MS degree in engineering. He lined up another job and quit a day or two after graduation! Of course this was during the heyday of the late 90s.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #47

"The chief advantage of money is only realized when one has more of it than the next guy"

Bikerdude
Old 08-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #48

This thread is closed