Join Early Retirement Today

Bitcoin Update
Old 06-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Bitcoin Update

From this old thread ( August 13, 2013) when bitcoin was trading @$128, an update on the current value, and a new worry...
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...5-a-67967.html

Now, with the value @ about $500, some concern about the bitcoin miners and their safety... Looks like they may be safe, but investors may see it differently.
One group controls 51 percent of Bitcoin mining, threatening security sanctity | PCWorld

Quote:
Fears that a Bitcoin mining pool controls more than half the total computational power used to create the digital currency have prompted a decline in its value.

Bitcoin was hovering around $600 on Monday, according to CoinDesk.com, which tracks prices on exchanges, down from $653 on Wednesday.

The decline follows reports that a group is now in a position to conduct a so-called “51 percent attack” on the cryptocurrency, a situation in which it could potentially interfere with transactions or even spend bitcoins twice.
Not to worry... no one here has bet the farm, but along the way, some folks may be getting a bit antsy.

Also....
Attached Images
File Type: png suisse-ag.png (336.8 KB, 14 views)
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

The concept of bitcoin is fantastic, but it has a number of problems, not just the 51% control that you have mentioned. Hundreds of millions of dollars, if not more, has been stolen. Thus a large % of the outstanding bitcoins is being controlled by criminals, drug lords, etc. I'm not sure that bitcoin itself will be successful because of its negative perception, but it has established the viability of a digital currency.
inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive View Post
The concept of bitcoin is fantastic, but it has a number of problems, not just the 51% control that you have mentioned. Hundreds of millions of dollars, if not more, has been stolen. Thus a large % of the outstanding bitcoins is being controlled by criminals, drug lords, etc. I'm not sure that bitcoin itself will be successful because of its negative perception, but it has established the viability of a digital currency.
Don't we already have digital currency? I don't know if my bank or brokerage accounts have much hard money.
aim-high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Bitcoin is a purely digital currency. There is no physical equivalent. If you wanted to cash out of your bank or brokerage account you can do so in cash for the total amount of money. This cannot be done for bitcoins.
inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:37 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim-high View Post
Don't we already have digital currency?
This one is not backed by any country or central bank, and that makes all the difference.

No official exchanges, you can't pay taxes with it, no protection against theft, loss, fraud. Also no anti-money laundering or manipulation by a central authority (there is none).

I bought $5k worth of bitcoin when they were at 9 usd, sold at 22 usd or so. If I held on to them would have been worth 250k+.

Still think I made the right decision. Could have been 0 USD, still likely to end up that way. Something will be along to replace it though if it does.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Another Bitcoin update 10/6/2014
Bitcoin Prices Are Down 73 Percent Since We All Went Crazy Over It

Quote:
The value of Bitcoin plummeted nearly 20 percent over the weekend.

The cryptocurrency was trading around $286 -- its lowest price of the year -- on Sunday but rallied back to roughly $325 Monday morning. Prices are down 73 percent from an all-time high of $1,147 hit on December 4, 2013, according to CNBC.

Over the last year and a half, Bitcoin has traded on average at $337, according to Coin Desk, a Bitcoin news organization.
And a link to a positive view:
http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/06/wha...oin-right-now/
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #7

http://www.coindesk.com/economist-mi...icted-bitcoin/

I was thinking that Bitcoin sounds like a Libertarian/Monetarist's dream, so I Googled Bitcoin and Milton Friedman and found the above, stating that Friedman had actually predicted an e-currency emerging back in 1999.

I loved Uncle Miltie back during my Econ undergrad days, writing a term paper sitting in a little cubicle listening to a reel to reel tape deck on his Negative Income tax from a talk he had given at my college. Those were the days, my friend...

I have trouble committing to a belief in Bitcoin, however. Don't know why. It seems to make more sense as a currency than what the Central Bankers of the world are doing, creating "money" buying up public and private debt. I guess Full Faith and Credit of the US Treasury still means something to me.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was super excited when bit coin first came around. It was a very fresh idea to me and I figured, "Well, this prototype will inevitably fail soon, but the next iteration will likely be a firestorm!"

Wish I'd invested the first time around instead of waiting. Oh well, I guess I'm just not smart enough to time the markets.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
Wish I'd invested the first time around instead of waiting. Oh well, I guess I'm just not smart enough to time the markets.
I bought $5k worth of bitcoins when they were at $9. Sold at something above $20.

So keep in mind you need to be right twice when you time the markets
Old 10-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #10

Interesting article about Patrick Byrne (from another recent thread) investing in bitcoin based cryptosecurity:

Overstock.com Assembles Coders to Create a Bitcoin-Like Stock Market | WIRED

Counterparty
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
I bought $5k worth of bitcoins when they were at $9. Sold at something above $20.
Sorry for your capital gain. Are they taxed as investments or as collectibles?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #12

Too bad if you had your bitcoin fortune in Mt Gox, however.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #13

So does anyone use bit coin as a currency? I would find that interesting, more that then as an investment.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Sorry for your capital gain. Are they taxed as investments or as collectibles?
As an expat in the Netherlands, not taxed at all.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:16 AM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
As an expat in the Netherlands, not taxed at all.
I thought Americans needed to report out-of-USA income on US tax returns. No? Thanks.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:18 AM   #16

I'm not American
Old 10-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #17

Little bit interesting ... my son (high schooler) wanted to set up a Mt Gox account to exploit the seeming LOW price Mt Gox was trading bitcoins. Sooo I said to him "an efficient market place would close any difference instantaneously ... if a difference exists long term it must be fraudulent". Being a high schooler - he persisted "let's open an account and MOVE bit coins to the higher marketplace and SELL them." So I told him to research what it takes to open accounts .... Mt Gox collasped a few days later.

Good lesson for him ... I think.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #18

While I love the idea of a medium of exchange not controlled by any government I can't buy into the economics of Bitcoin.

In the end, what you are purchasing is a bit pattern of 1's and 0's in computer storage. This pattern has no intrinsic value like say a database or computer program. Its value is strictly what other people will pay for it.

The dollar is very similar EXCEPT people in this country must have dollars if for no other reason than to pay their taxes.
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:58 AM   #19

Well, take gold then.

Its intrinsic value is also mostly what other people will pay for it. It can be used as a raw material / commodity, true, but that's not what drives its value. Incidentally, there is also huge volatility there.

Or diamonds, even worse.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #20

I don't disagree. And while diamonds and gold have some commercial use and significant use as jewelry and art, bit coins lack even that.

Even if the paper dollar collapses you can wipe your bum with them and burn them for fuel. Try that with digitally stored ones and zeros!
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote