Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-28-2018, 11:37 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
What a dreamer!
Plastic cards can be lost or stolen. A chip will probably be imbedded in everyone's forehead when born to handle transactions for life.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Plastic cards can be lost or stolen. A chip will probably be imbedded in everyone's forehead when born to handle transactions for life.
Don't tell Visa about your idea. They will set up facilities in maternity wards. They will give bonuses to Drs. for chips embedded per month. Think of the airline miles to a have chip embedded in your newborn. My kids are 32 and 26, but if the miles are enough, I will drag their b*tts in.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:06 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There was a futuristic movie with J Timberlake in which time was currency. I don’t recall all the details but remember a scene where the price of a cup of coffee was raised from 12 to 15 minutes. Everyone had a chip embedded in their wrist with a display for current balance.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:26 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
There was a futuristic movie with J Timberlake in which time was currency. I don’t recall all the details but remember a scene where the price of a cup of coffee was raised from 12 to 15 minutes. Everyone had a chip embedded in their wrist with a display for current balance.

Liked the movie. A few unrealistic assumptions but overall it was good. You could give some of your time to people a I recall as well.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:40 PM   #45

With the move above $7k today the analyst I follow believes probabilities are in favor of a move to $8.55K.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #46
Gone but not forgotten

If you bought at the high last December, your current loss is nearly 70%

Dec. 17, 2018 $19343 Sept. 6, 2018 $6204
Old 09-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bitcoin
LOL

Lots of things are here to stay ... like hemorrhoids.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

It didn’t stay high long so would have been a fool to buy at that price. That was when we cashed out some of ours.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Financial transactions by text messages already exists. Don't need Bitcoin for that - ie:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-Pesa
Venmo, which works by mobile app, is huge among my daughter and other millennials. My wife is an office manager, and had to get an account so that she could get paid for office gifts and other things by her younger co-workers.

Our daughter, in her early 20s, uses so little cash that she turns any cash she makes over to us in exchange for transferring the same amount into her checking account.
Out of Steam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #50
Dryer sheet wannabe

Let me help clarify some things.

First I invest in bitcoin and cryptocurrencies.
Bitcoin is one of over 1900 cryptocurrencies. Bitcoin is the first cryptocurrency developed in 2009 to avoid the influence of government and banks. It started off and then the creator, Satoshi Nakamoto, vanished. No one knows who he is and this name may be a pseudonym for a group or another person who wanted to remain nameless. The idea was bitcoin was going to be used by many but bitcoin has become more of an investment and it is hard to substitute it for money because the value is not stable. Thus other cryptocurrencies were created to fill this role.

Each of the different cryptocurrencies has a purpose or some are just gag coins with no real value. Whatever one plans to do, is to study it like a stock investment. Many of the cryptocurrencies will not be around and they can be seen as penny stocks.

New cryptocurrencies are called ICOs, Initial Coin Offering. Many companies promote these and I have been offered by many to get involved. But I have passed because many of these ICOs have failed or the people behind the organization took the investments of their initial investors.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #51

If you want to make money in crypto currency, like any other scheme, all you need to do is outsmart or outguess or outluck the other guys that are trying to outsmart, outguess, or outluck you.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:16 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a little in cryptovalutas. A nerdy friend convinced me to buy a little of two coins. Bitcoin and Dogecoin. I downloaded wallet apps to my computer for these.

Since then they have both increased in value like 10x and 50x respectively. But I only bought for pocket change so now about $2000 in value.

Dogecoin was made as a joke and has a friendly dog as it's logo and thousands of memes. And unlike Bitcoin trading and exchanging coins cost next to nothing. Since my portfolio sofware update the value weekly I have seen that it's value have been much more stable than the yoyo-ing Bitcoin. So I quite like it.

Then yesterday I read an article on Bloomberg which said

Quote:
While that may seem like a poor reason to bid up the price of a joke, the ongoing interest in crypto ETFs demonstrates that the ease with which one can access a given coin may be the closest thing there is to "fundamentals" in the space. The easier a coin is to buy and trade, the more money can go into it.
Or like the Dogecoin enthusiasts would have said it: "Much lols".

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rnd=markets-vp
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
My son and husband mined for the past 4 years. About 4 months ago they turned off the machines because there wasn’t enough profit. My son mines other coins as well and sells and buys coins depending on value. During this time minus expenses we have cashed out 40k and them 150k. We have 7 coins left and will probably sell when they go up to 20k/coin. My son spends a lot of time keeping up on the coins , etc and really knows what he is doing.
Congratulations! It sounds like they were at the right place at the right time. Stock analysts look for such situations daily. In the 1970s, for example, few people would have ever invested in a company like Microsoft; those that did, however, were very well off by the end of the 1980s - before the high-tech bubble burst at the end of the 1990s.

As others here have noted, as the technology changes, and the processing chips become faster, more people will be getting into the mining game, and it, too, could become a bubble that inevitably has to burst.

Roy
rtroxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Roy, my son was the brains of the operation and spent countless hours researching everything throughly. We also didn’t invest more than we were willing to lose.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Roy, my son was the brains of the operation and spent countless hours researching everything throughly. We also didn’t invest more than we were willing to lose.
In other words, you did it the right way. Most investors don't, however. The research is important: Warren Buffet says he doesn't invest in any business he doesn't understand.

Roy

PS: Here's the latest, from Bloomberg, on the crypto market...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...osses-reach-80
rtroxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

Crypto fan here. Own several different, but Bitcoin is my favorite. My first one was a gift because it was worth less than $10. The next few were less than $30. Fun to watch them go up and down. So volatile! Breathtaking! I still believe cryptos are the future. Time will tell!
charais is offline   Reply With Quote