Join Early Retirement Today

Bitcoin -What do you know?
Old 08-26-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Bitcoin -What do you know?

Like them or not, buy them or not, Bitcoin is with us for a while, so it might be well to understand some of the whats. whys, hows and what if's.

This might be an opportunity to share with others what you know or what you've heard about the phenomenom.

I listened to a National Public Radio program that discussed the electricity cost of bitmining that was an eyeopener to me... As I recall, one year of mining bitcoins costs more than the total energy output/consumption of 139 countries for the same period.

So... for starters, this seven minute audio is just on the cost of energy, and the time required to "mine" bitcoins.

https://www.loe.org/shows/segments.h...34&segmentID=4

Please add anything that might be helpful in understanding bitcoin. Some of the tech sites were so obscure i didn't get past the first few paragraphs. any simplification would be helpful. "Knowing, even if not using is usually helpful in the long run..." (quote from my aunt Grace)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All I know is that I am not in the least interested until they are a proven thing and more mainstream.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

My son and husband mined for the past 4 years. About 4 months ago they turned off the machines because there wasn’t enough profit. My son mines other coins as well and sells and buys coins depending on value. During this time minus expenses we have cashed out 40k and them 150k. We have 7 coins left and will probably sell when they go up to 20k/coin. My son spends a lot of time keeping up on the coins , etc and really knows what he is doing.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am still holding my investment in tulip bulbs left to me by my Dutch ancestors. As soon as they sell, I am all in on bitcoin.

PS The DW thinks we should just plant the bulbs.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Beanie Babies are set to make a comeback followed by olympic pins. I'm hoarding cash for the right moment.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Y'all aren't even focusing on the right things here. 2 words. Beanie Babies.

Edit: I went and ate a hamburger and then commented without seeing aja8888's response. Well played
Old 08-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I am more interested in adoption of block chain technology in other areas besides crypto currency.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #8

One bit of trivia that I find fascinating was that the original idea was supposed to thwart the bad guys, and it turned out to be an enabler for the bad guys.

"Proof of Work" is the concept that you give someone a hard to solve "thing" and you can know for sure, very quickly, whether the thing they presented is "the answer". If it IS the answer, they have proven they've done work.

We all hate spam, so the idea came about: "Why don't make email senders prove they've done work". This way, a spammer can't send out millions of emails that all have proof of work. Unfortunately, it never got traction from companies with legit reasons to send email. I guess they didn't mind having their message have equal weight with pleas from Nigerian princes.

Then, the bad guys, that clever lot, used that same technology in order to get paid in a way that's untraceable. So now they encrypt the photos of your grand kids and make you pay in bitcoin to see that little smiling face again, lol!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:10 PM   #9

I've read a few articles. Digital currencies are not fiat currencies (backed by any government), and are not commodity-based (like silver or gold). They hold no intrinsic value. So, what value to they hold? They are speculative, and are worth exactly one value: their current trading value. My understanding is that Bitcoin has capped the number of coins that can be mined, so this way of making money with that coin is essentially over. Their acceptance rate as a real currency is low, and slow, and if you ever lose the device holding the coins, you've lost the coins.

If you enjoy gambling, go for it! I'm sure I'll get some interesting feedback on my thoughts, and will correct any mis-statements I've made.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:40 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I don’t know why I even bother to reapply to this topic because everyone just wants to make fun of Bitcoin. Ugh!
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I am more interested in adoption of block chain technology in other areas besides crypto currency.

This

The impact of block chain will be substantial
Old 08-27-2018, 05:53 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I am not interested in Bitcoin as an investment but it relies on blockchain technology which I am interested in. I read a few books and took an online college course on blockchain just to get a vague grip on it's potential. It is essentially an open, distributed ledger that can record and verify transactions (e.g. bitcoin transactions) between two or more parties. The transactions are recorded in "blocks" and once the distributed system accepts a block as legitimate it is sealed with a cryptographic hash and cannot be changed. Future blocks build on the previous blocks. The concept is getting a lot of attention and Federal agencies, financial institutions, and others are experimenting with blockchain technologies. There are other similar approaches that are competing with blockchain for mind-share. For example, the IOTA crypto-currency runs on a peer-to-peer open network called the "tangle' that also relies on cryptography but in a different, possibly more scalable approach. IOTA and it's tangle are trying to position themselves to serve as the micro-payment foundation of the Internet-of-things.

If you have heard of Gartner's Hype Cycle. this stuff is currently sliding down the slope from the hype peak toward the trough of disillusion after which it may climb back into broad use. There may be opportunities to get in on the ground floor in some startups that will cash in big on these technologies but guessing which will succeed is a huge crap-shoot for the likes of us.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:52 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

CNBC has a Bitcoin documentary airing today at 6PM Eastern.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:57 AM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Please add anything that might be helpful in understanding bitcoin.
Yada, yada, speculation on technology most of the bettors don't understand at all, yada, yada, unregulated haven for laundering money, yada, yada, do you feel lucky?
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:03 AM   #15

There is so much info available online, I think google is a much better option than asking a few people on an ER board.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:52 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Wow. Seems to be a common theme lately to complain about threads on ER.

One of the charms of ER is the open discussion on threads, even when they go off kilter. As someone on another thread said in a response to "Your answer needs to be actionable", they said, "We're just talkin'."

As far as OP's question... I agree with other posters saying to watch blockchain. Read up on it a bit.

One of my co-w*rkers recently quit to work for a blockchain startup.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:59 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I don’t know why I even bother to reapply to this topic because everyone just wants to make fun of Bitcoin. Ugh!

If everyone is making fun of Bitcoin then is it a viable option?

I still think it is a fad... at least for people here in the US... someone today on TV said it might not be in other countries like Venezuela etc... they do have a point there..

Why a fad IMO? Because it is touted as a currency... but a currency to be valuable to a holder it has to be stable... bitcoin is very far from stable... down like 60% or so from its high... I would hate to think of my dollars going down that much...

SO, that means it is an investment... but as an investment it also fails IMO... it produces nothing... it can be used to produce nothing... the only value it has is what someone else is willing to pay you for it... at least with gold you have something in hand that can be used for productive purposes... and even if the above were not the case I still think it is too volatile to invest...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:17 AM   #18

Apparently 1% of the people who own bitcoins control 99% of the value of all bitcoins. Not something I want to participate in.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:47 AM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

OP thought:

Despite some serious searching, no true "beginners guide to bitcoin:.
The closest marginally understandable website so far is on Forbes.

Caveat... this can be a serious read, but in order to understand the basic article, and to go from one part to another, I feel it's almost a necessity to click on and read the links within the explanations. Not a simple thing to do, as some of the links are longer than the article itself.

Recommendation: If you decide to go ahead, consider using a more sophisticated free ad blocker such as Mercury Reader. (Guaranteed you be glad you did. Use it for all websites.) It not only blocks the ads, but restructures the entire page for easy reading.

Obviously bitcoin is more substantial that most realize. With a finite "CAP", there is some concern as to what this can do to the economy, all apart from what seems to be a risky investment. At this point, my concern is what effect this might have on the National economy... if not today, then within the next several years.

I hope I'm wrong, and just another crazy person running around predicting the end of the world. In the meantime, am hoping to understand a little bit more than it just being yada yada yada.

FWIW, here's a link to the Forbes article...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernard.../#7dea4cea4418
note... it dates back to January, so I expect there are updates.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #20

The purpose of a currency is so we don't have to trade sheep for ore (to use a settlers of catan reference).

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about the demise of any currency causing much of a ripple in the world economy, except for maybe USD. Even then, the next "strongest" currency would step in, not by any coordinated plan, just because market forces would make that the natural result.

The usual problem with all these fiat currencies (government issued and block chain currencies) is getting a stable base of people and organizations to believe in them and use them. They all depend upon the masses believing that they are now and will be worth something in the future.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote