Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
People on here are really sensitive about the retirement definition.
withdrawn from one's position or occupation : having concluded one's working or professional career

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I think he's made mention a couple of times about the "internet police" and not really giving a darn about it.
Name calling is pretty much playbook technique #1 for deflecting valid criticism of facts or assumptions, instead of addressing the actual issue at hand.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #103

If I am tired of this discussion, once again, does that mean I'm retired?
Old 09-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #104

It's like this with every hobby, people get so involved.

I'm into home theater and it runs rampant there. The basic idea is you have surround speakers and a subwoofer so you get the effects of stuff flying over your head and when Trex walks the room shakes. But after that it gets a little funny. ex;

If you don't have a projector it's not a real home theater
If you don't have a dedicated room it's not a HT
If you don't use a center channel, it's not a HT
You really have to have 9.2, 5.1 isn't good enough for HT

It never stops and it never will.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #105

And even if you are retired and not doing any job, they still say you did it wrong if you can't afford 4 cruises a year and manage at least two games of bingo and shuffleboard while on them.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:54 PM   #106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
No, but if you get tired of it a second time, then you are truly re-tired.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:59 PM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I imagine there is a blogger posting about this right now! I think you should call yourself refatigued just to make it perfectly crystal unclear, though.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:09 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
And even if you are retired and not doing any job, they still say you did it wrong if you can't afford 4 cruises a year and manage at least two games of bingo and shuffleboard while on them.
I didn't see any shuffleboard on our last couple of cruises. I think they put the ping pong tables on top of the former shuffleboard court (which is more fun anyway!).
Old 09-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #109

Wonder if I could get paid (or at least free boarding) as a companion male on those ships.

Would that be working?
Old 09-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Wonder if I could get paid (or at least free boarding) as a companion male on those ships.
From speaking to people who are in that position, likely you would not get paid but you would get to cruise for free, and they would likely pay your airfare too. You would have to work almost every night, though, but if you like dancing it wouldn't be much of a burden.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Would that be working?
I just want to caution you that if you do engage in that sort of activity you have to watch out. You might run afoul of the Internet Retirement Police and inadvertently lose your Early Retired status since some could construe your activity as a form of work. And whatever you do, definitely DO NOT blog about it, because that's an automatic disqualification.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Would that be working?
Several years ago I was involved with a shuffleboard league and we won the regional championship.

Long story short the shuffleboard world leagues were held on a European cruise . We didn't win sadly.

But I danced all night long and made enough in tips from wealthy 60 year old women to cover the cost of the whole trip. I wore a speedo on deck during the day.

So a FERG. Fake early retirement blogger could definitely make it worthwhile to cruise.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:48 AM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Several years ago I was involved with a shuffleboard league and we won the regional championship.

Long story short the shuffleboard world leagues were held on a European cruise . We didn't win sadly.

But I danced all night long and made enough in tips from wealthy 60 year old women to cover the cost of the whole trip. I wore a speedo on deck during the day.

So a FERG. Fake early retirement blogger could definitely make it worthwhile to cruise.
It's FERB. Fake early retirement blogger.

This is from investopedia.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #114
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Would that be working?

That's my Plan B.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #115

Quote:
It's FERB. Fake early retirement blogger.

This is from investopedia.
Ha! I like it...but I would be afraid that some would confuse that with a "furry"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Furries.jpg (170.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 09-09-2016, 10:41 AM   #116
Dryer sheet wannabe

Going back to the RB40 article, I looked at the study linked and found it somewhat disheartening. It goes into the current low bond yield environment along with possible lower stock market returns to conclude that much lower withdrawal rates are needed than the generally accepted 4%. As someone still a decade or so out from FIRE this is making me reevaluate my plans-OMY might become OMD (one more decade).
Old 09-09-2016, 01:28 PM   #117
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Pizzas View Post
Going back to the RB40 article, I looked at the study linked and found it somewhat disheartening. It goes into the current low bond yield environment along with possible lower stock market returns to conclude that much lower withdrawal rates are needed than the generally accepted 4%. As someone still a decade or so out from FIRE this is making me reevaluate my plans-OMY might become OMD (one more decade).

A 1% real return and a 4% withdrawal rate will last about 30 years. All this gloom and doom on low rates / high PEs seem a bit over blown to me. The lower returns will matter more to my heirs.
Sequencing of losses however....
Old 09-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

One thing to keep in mind is that when look-forward returns look likely to be poor, portfolio optionality can pay dividends. Much of my portfolio is taxable, so I don't like to accept the known tax consequences of a profitable sale for the unknown probability of missing a downturn. Nevertheless where bond duration can be shortened, or a lean toward cash made it can mean that damage from a possible downturn can be lessened considerably. My largest bond fund has a 2.4 average duration now, so even a pretty large rise in intermediate interest rates will not hurt for long.

Ha
Old 09-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
A 1% real return and a 4% withdrawal rate will last about 30 years. All this gloom and doom on low rates / high PEs seem a bit over blown to me. The lower returns will matter more to my heirs.
Sequencing of losses however....
I try to imagine what it would be like to be on one of those FIRECalc lines that is descending through the true starting value and keeps going down for decades. Sure, in the past US history many of them have rebounded, but when you are actually riding the line in real time there's no telling what will happen, the slope of the descent could easily increase as you zoom toward the X-axis.
So, while a 1% real return and 45 WR would last for 30 years, without knowing the line's slope in advance and when the grim reaper will be visiting, worry would significantly degrade my QOL starting at about year 10.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I try to imagine what it would be like to be on one of those FIRECalc lines that is descending through the true starting value and keeps going down for decades. Sure, in the past US history many of them have rebounded, but when you are actually riding the line in real time there's no telling what will happen, the slope of the descent could easily increase as you zoom toward the X-axis.
So, while a 1% real return and 45 WR would last for 30 years, without knowing the line's slope in advance and when the grim reaper will be visiting, worry would significantly degrade my QOL starting at about year 10.
I'd raise the white flag, admit defeat, regroup, and start making money doing something around year 10 if I found myself sliding down one of those steeply negative sloped lines. In the past, those steep downward slopes are usually followed by upward slopes as the market recovers from many years of mostly negative returns.

Better to work again in your 40's than be penniless and destitute in your 60's.