Join Early Retirement Today

Where can you get a 4% interest rate now? And when rates do get that high, inflation
Old 01-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #61
Dryer sheet wannabe

Where can you get a 4% interest rate now? And when rates do get that high, inflation

royal dutch shell 6% plus

exxon ~5% plus

high yield bonds

You get the idea...you have to take some risk to get a return.

MrEd

MrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I would also argue from personal experience that those in the fat category realize more social pressure to keep spending at a high level.

I think that is why there are usually a disproportionate amount of INTJ types on these kinds of forums. We aren't going to spend like our neighbors or former co-workers no matter what they say or do. Our young adult kids kind of get the whole LBYMs as a lifestyle choice now that they see us not working and going out all the time, and their friends' parents' still working at jobs they don't like and surprised reactions to us retiring early.

My concession to peer pressure is going out with friends and spending like they do when I don't do the planning and organizing. We spent $150 the other night going out with a group of friends. When it is just the two of us we will do something as much if not more fun and spend around $0 - $40 with some combination of annual passes, seat filler subscriptions or comp tickets.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd never heard of fat FIRE despite being on ER.org for now over 10 years.

Here's an overview of the "FIRE movement" and this article identifies it as a Millenial thing:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/s...ire-early.html
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:19 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fat Fire?

1. Hobby Farm. Even a faster way to spend excess than a boat/yacht. The new new seems to be winery/vineyards and of course alpacas as a distant minority.

2. Do like the ? richest lady at my 50th high school reunion - run a foundation and give money away to your ?? favorites.

I'm not Fat but I am dangerous. Got stuck in the mud and provided another story for the neighbor who pulled me out with his tractor. Native prairie strip. Monarch milkweed area. Solar pond aerator. Solar cistern pumps. Mini-windmill.

No hay, soybeans, corn or cattle here. Just CRP and crazy stuff. Plenty of stories for the neighbors.

heh heh heh -

P.S. Thread on blow that dough has idears also. Hint - Jeep made Motor Trend SUV of the year.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

There is a rather active fatFIRE facebook group. The admin is "Physician on Fire" so lots of members are doctors.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #66

Would be a shame if a lot of doctors are FIRE-ing in their early 50s or earlier.

They’re in their 30s already when they get out of residency?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:41 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Would be a shame if a lot of doctors are FIRE-ing in their early 50s or earlier.

They’re in their 30s already when they get out of residency?
Who are we going to see then for medical issues?