Bloggers that cater to higher income folks

That site refers to the campFIRE one at the bottom of the graphic he used in a recent blog entry.

Leanvsfatfire.png

If you are fat fire wealthy but have lean needs and wants, what does that make you? Quite a few people here have withdrawal rates well below 4%.

Most fat fire guys do not post here. They get lots of hassle trying to enjoy their latest BMW M6 convertible purchase from frugal participants!

Our loss. :(

I enjoyed his posts. In my opinion, he was a gracious and informative poster.

Physician on Fire also started a FatFire Facebook group, and I believe there may have been a thread about other fat fire blogs or groups.

Oh...I was thinking the title referred to people who want to communicate with fat-firees, not blogs by the "fatties" themselves. People who want to communicate with people with money, are usually trying to sell them something.

So I was off base.

If you are truly a FAT Firee, why would you host a blog long term?

Ha, no! Just lots of nuances in life when you get past the initial stages of FIRE and it would be fun to follow. It seems that some of these bloggers get to that fat fire stage but continue the same tone/topics in their posts. Lifestyle, taxes, work, relationships, etc change a bit as you get higher up in nw....not drastically but certainly changes.

Ummm, the change in taxes (income as opposed to NW) can certainly seem drastic . . .

Has anyone found a good blogger or two who focuses on the higher end FIRE net worth crowd? I think white coat investor has been a good one but I’m struggling to find another. It seems most bloggers are either “lean” fire or regular fire, not to many “fat” fire.

Top few on this list might be interesting to you?
https://directory.rockstarfinance.com/blogger-net-worth-tracker
The owner of that site also runs "ESI money" where he has published over 100x pretty detailed millionaire interviews with a net worth distribution similar to the top 100 on this blogger list.

I'm not aware of any bloggers in the UHNWI space, but you can purchase reports from survey researchers like Spectrem group.

Danmar's absence is our loss and pretty much our doing AIR.

He saw our posts and sent a PM. He's doing fine, just taking a break from the forum for now.

So now I know I will be a fat fire person. Thanks for defining that. What’s the point if you have to be lean or normal?? Life’s to short to sacrifice

Really? I guess I missed that - or anything in particular precipitating his departure. I just figure posters come and go....

I had noticed he stopped posting (he maybe even announced it, I don't recall?), but I don't remember seeing any triggers.

I appreciated hearing viewpoints from someone in a higher strata than me, as I do those in a lower strata - it's nice to get outside ones own space. I wish he would continue posting. I do recall a time or two that his posts would be sort of out of context, that maybe he needed to note (w/o 'bragging') that he was a high net worth person, so the comment might not apply to someone on the low end.

I do get tired of some posters who tell a newbie they have plenty of $$$ to retire, and reference the average income in the US. Heck, that person might not want to retire to an average lifestyle, and if that's the case, they need more assets, plain and simple. But if they are thinking they can spend $200,000 annual on a $2M portfolio (10% WR!), they need to adjust one or the other, or wait. But why judge their $200,000 lifestyle? It's fine to suggest they might be happy spending less, and think about creative ways to do that and still have a high lifestyle, but the choice is theirs. I can see where those people could decide they are out of place here, and stop posting.

-ERD50

I miss Danmar too. I like to think I am doing OK so it was challenging to me internally (envy?) to encounter serious wealth, but his take on things was insightful and he did some of the of things I would do if I had the $$$.

The problem I have with the FatFIRE chart is that even with $5MM and a $200K WDR you could be underwater.

Just like in the working world, there are those with $200K incomes but they're spending $300K. The chart makes no consideration for that. Then the question becomes how long will you stay 'fat' before you drift into lean?

I would also argue from personal experience that those in the fat category realize more social pressure to keep spending at a high level.

I would also argue from personal experience that those in the fat category realize more social pressure to keep spending at a high level.

Yep. A recent advertisement for a local beachfront mansion being auctioned later this month (no reserve price) opened with "This property is meant to impress and inspire ...". I thought to myself, "Yep - that pretty well sums it up." Those folks who climb aboard the "need to impress" bandwagon may be in for endless rounds of escalating spending. What's the point of owning a 50' yacht when your immediate neighbor has a 75' yacht? My house is inspirational (to me) but unimpressive (to others) - a perfect match for my LBYM philosophy. :)

That site refers to the campFIRE one at the bottom of the graphic he used in a recent blog entry.

Leanvsfatfire.png

Of course these numbers are on a gross basis. The net WR% is what counts. My spending is at the FAT Fire bottom line, but don't have 2.5m in investment assets.
We do however have other income coming in.

Top few on this list might be interesting to you?
https://directory.rockstarfinance.com/blogger-net-worth-tracker
The owner of that site also runs "ESI money" where he has published over 100x pretty detailed millionaire interviews with a net worth distribution similar to the top 100 on this blogger list.

I'm not aware of any bloggers in the UHNWI space, but you can purchase reports from survey researchers like Spectrem group.
Some of these guys do not deserve to be claiming to be fat.

I miss Danmar too. I like to think I am doing OK so it was challenging to me internally (envy?) to encounter serious wealth, but his take on things was insightful and he did some of the of things I would do if I had the $$$.

Agree. I can think of at least 2 members who have a NW of 10mm who post from time to time on this forum.
It is always nice to hear from both sides of the spectrum.

Has anyone found a good blogger or two who focuses on the higher end FIRE net worth crowd? I think white coat investor has been a good one but I’m struggling to find another. It seems most bloggers are either “lean” fire or regular fire, not to many “fat” fire.

Forget searching for bloggers. Why would someone earning above average taxable income waste their time blogging? I would recommend the following:

Investments (If you are self directed):

Read The Wall Street Journal, Barron's, and Financial Times for insights.

Travel (I assume you don't want to fly coach)

For airfare deals, check the "premium fare deals" on the Flyer Talk forum for first and business class fares.

Use your corporate group code (if you are able to) or join Alamo Insiders for car rentals

There are multiple sites to help with hotels and fine dinging restaurants.

Healthcare

Stay in shape - Bike, hike, run, walk, and swim and keep your BMI below 24.5

Find the finest medical facility where you live and purchase PPO insurance accepted by that facility. If you have no health issues, just buy a Bronze plan and make sure that you visit a doctor annually for your preventive screening.

Housing

Live in a nice and comfortable home. Don't skimp when it comes to the place you will spend most of your time. Consider living in a warm climate to alleviate stress. Alternatively, buy a second home in a warm climate for the winters.

Cars

Buy what makes you happy. Just pay cash for it.

Hobbies

Spend time and money on things that interest you like music, photography, video, astronomy, etc...
Hobbies that get you out of the house and walking/hiking and keep your brain active are best.

---

Don't be afraid to spend your money - you can't take it with you. Buy quality food and buy nice clothes. Donate your old clothes to charity and buy new ones regularly.

I see my personal blog has been mentioned and I admit I'm not spending fatFIRE dollars but more like $30-40k/yr (which actually translates to a $100k lifestyle if we compare it to those who are still working).

I'll throw out another blog that I like. https://earlyretirementnow.com/ Karsten just retired with a fatFIRE portfolio amount and he's a good writer. I can't recall exactly but I think they're targeting $100k-ish spending. They've been traveling around the world for most of the year and just recently bought a house in Washington to settle down with their kiddo who starts school in the fall.

Karsten has the street cred for investments - PhD in something or other finance/business plus a high up guy in the banking/investing world from which he retired. After talking with him for many hours I realize he's probably the smartest guy I know and makes me look like a dumb dumb. :) He dabbles in options, knows how to wrangle a spreadsheet and probably develops sophisticated financial models just for fun.

I'm more of a video game/netflix/read a good book and be lazy kind of guy but I like Karsten's blog.

... I'll throw out another blog that I like. https://earlyretirementnow.com/ Karsten just retired with a fatFIRE portfolio amount and he's a good writer. I can't recall exactly but I think they're targeting $100k-ish spending. They've been traveling around the world for most of the year and just recently bought a house in Washington to settle down with their kiddo who starts school in the fall.

Karsten has the street cred for investments - PhD in something or other finance/business plus a high up guy in the banking/investing world from which he retired. After talking with him for many hours I realize he's probably the smartest guy I know and makes me look like a dumb dumb. :) He dabbles in options, knows how to wrangle a spreadsheet and probably develops sophisticated financial models just for fun.

I heartily second this recommendation. Karsten's PhD is in economics.

If you want good mathematical rigor (and not just feel-good words) then Karsten's blog is by far the best blog I know of. In particular, his multipart series on safe withdrawal rates is excellent.

I heartily second this recommendation. Karsten's PhD is in economics.

If you want good mathematical rigor (and not just feel-good words) then Karsten's blog is by far the best blog I know of. In particular, his multipart series on safe withdrawal rates is excellent.

+2.
He clearly differentiates using the 4% WR concept as a reasonable rate for 30 years, but not so much once going beyond 30 years, which is the case for many on an Early Retirement site.

Back
Top Bottom