Join Early Retirement Today

Bloomberg Poll
Old 03-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #1

Bloomberg Poll

A Bloomberg poll with some pretty startling results -
Quote:
Among those who own stocks, bonds or mutual funds, only three of 10 people say the value of their portfolio has risen since a year ago.
I canít believe this. The actual poll results, though, are clear. 29% said a little worse and 17% said a lot worse. How can this be?

Quote:
For each of the following, please tell me if you sense things are generally a lot better, a little better, about the same, a little worse, or a lot worse than they were a year ago.
Quote:
The value of your investments (Asked only of those with investments; n=665)

A lot Better 6
A little better 25
Same 22
A little Worse 29
A lot Worse 17
Not Sure 1
The article is here Americans Say They Missed 73% Rise in S&P 500 as Economy Surged - Bloomberg.com

The poll results and methodology are here http://media.bloomberg.com/bb/avfile/rnUZ3cMJKhxI

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Doesn't that go along with the old saying that the fear of losing is much stronger than the possibility of gaining? No surprise to me...but maybe that's just me.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think people are comparing current value against "high water mark" (market peak) a couple years ago - even if the survey specifically asked for one year ago.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
I think people are comparing current value against "high water mark" (market peak) a couple years ago - even if the survey specifically asked for one year ago.
One would like to think that, but I suspect there is much truth to the poll results. A lot of people pulled their money out of the market when it crashed (sell low) and didn't get back in until a lot of the recovery had occurred (buy high) - if at all. I suspect many investors are still sitting on a lot of cash cursing the low interest rate environment.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When the market was dropping, it was a top news item every day. The recovery, not so much. Perhaps that's why.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

If you take the value of the dollar into consideration it isn't that hard to understand. They say there isn't any inflation, but no one told my local grocer.....
Old 03-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #7

Reports from Vanguard and Fidelity that 401Ks were either fully or much recovered, and many posts here and other financial/investing forums - like bogleheads - led me to conclude that most folks were not fully recovered but had made up a large part of the decline. The Bloomberg poll points to a much different situation. Granted, the wording is ambiguous. I find this news item quite unsettling.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Reports from Vanguard and Fidelity that 401Ks were either fully or much recovered, and many posts here and other financial/investing forums - like bogleheads - led me to conclude that most folks were not fully recovered but had made up a large part of the decline. The Bloomberg poll points to a much different situation. Granted, the wording is ambiguous. I find this news item quite unsettling.
I think you only "fully recovered" if you doubled down near the lows. Otherwise one can still be 20-25% off the highs. Granted that's better than 40-50% off as some could have been a year ago, but...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I think you only "fully recovered" if you doubled down near the lows. Otherwise one can still be 20-25% off the highs. Granted that's better than 40-50% off as some could have been a year ago, but...
So maybe I'm taking this a bit too literally - thinking 12/08, 01/09 or even 03/09, when folks responding are thinking more like Delawaredave5 - their high-water mark? Could be. The ambiguity here doesn't help and lends itself to creative interpretation (ideal for a journalist).
Old 03-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I find polls like this to only indicate how people feel emotionally about their finances. It's money. The only valid survey of actual economic status is to compare actual numbers on date x compared to date y. All they really did was ask people how do you feel?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I find that hard to believe. A whole 46% said that their investment portfolio went down over the past year, how did they manage to do that? According to Vanguard, all asset classes are up over the past 12 months except for long term treasuries that are marginally down. The only explanation I can find is that they are down because they withdrew money from their portfolio (retirees, unemployed, etc...). Or perhaps people didn't bother to actually check their portfolio value and answered based on a gut feeling (and let's face it, most people are pretty pessimistic nowadays).
Old 03-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
So maybe I'm taking this a bit too literally - thinking 12/08, 01/09 or even 03/09, when folks responding are thinking more like Delawaredave5 - their high-water mark? Could be. The ambiguity here doesn't help and lends itself to creative interpretation (ideal for a journalist).
Hard to say. But I do think that many people *feel* poorer than they did three years ago, and people's perceptions tend to drive their realities.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #13

Not just "feel poorer," but a heck of alot more afraid of sinking money into the market would be a normal reaction I should think. It makes sense to me alot of money is sitting on the sidelines now...only fools like me stayed in.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
gone traveling

For a lot of folks, their "investments" includes home equity- which hasn't recovered like their 401K or other market-based investments. Perception is reality.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I find that hard to believe. A whole 46% said that their investment portfolio went down over the past year...
Actually they didn't, they said 'the value of your investments'.
Another possibility is a year ago, the value for your money was incredible. For a small amount of money you could buy stock that made incredible gains over the next year.
Now, the stock costs more money to buy AND the gains over the next year are unknown.
So the 'value' of the stock I bought last year is much higher than the value of any stock I might buy, or hold, today.

Not sure if that is how some are seeing it, but it seems logical that those that rely more on emotion than hard numbers may feel this way.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm stuffing my face on lunch right now and short on time but I read the article this am and I think somewhere in there it does say that the portfolios have recovered.

It is their perception or perhaps they just wait for the statements in the mail and have yet to see the recovered loss. Like FIREdreamer said, people might still be afraid to look.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
...makes sense to me alot of money is sitting on the sidelines now...only fools like me stayed in.
Well, then my DW/me are also fools, since we did the same.

At least we don't have to worry about when to get back in - we're already there ...
Old 03-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Actually they didn't, they said 'the value of your investments'.
Another possibility is a year ago, the value for your money was incredible. For a small amount of money you could buy stock that made incredible gains over the next year.
Now, the stock costs more money to buy AND the gains over the next year are unknown.
So the 'value' of the stock I bought last year is much higher than the value of any stock I might buy, or hold, today.

Not sure if that is how some are seeing it, but it seems logical that those that rely more on emotion than hard numbers may feel this way.
Perhaps the people polled are more sophisticated investors than I am because when I read the question in its context, this interpretation of "the value of your investments" would never even cross my mind.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Perhaps the people polled are more sophisticated investors than I am because when I read the question in its context, this interpretation of "the value of your investments" would never even cross my mind.
I think you have it backwards, perhaps the people polled are LESS sophisticated investors than you

That interpretation is a far more emotional one, and therefore more dangerous one (imho). It is the same type of emotional interpretation that led some investors to get 'all out' while they 'still could' last march
Old 03-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

OK, now I get what you mean...