Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2017, 07:50 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
My plan is that when the market tanks I won't have to decrease my spending.
!
Yes, I understand. A reasonably conservative approach. I am currently spending more than ever but when the market tanks I will just go back to spending divs. My divs are rock solid and weren’t cut in 2008-2009.

But I think it also depends on your age. I’m 67,been retired 11 years, and the portfolio is at an all time high. I figure if I don’t enjoy things now, I will soon get to the point where all I will want to do is “sit on the porch” (figuratively). This will likely mean a very large legacy left behind. I certainly don’t mind leaving a good size legacy but not something outrageous.

Getting the balance right between current consumption, risk, and legacy is something I think about a lot. I am very much in the minority here, it seems.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2017, 08:10 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Getting the balance right between current consumption, risk, and legacy is something I think about a lot. I am very much in the minority here, it seems.
Maybe not as much as you think. I'm in the same situation, albeit on a much smaller scale. I'm sure others are as well.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:26 AM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Just spent a week in a neighboring state (Nayarit) on the beach for a break from our condo in downtown PV. Yea Baby.

Thinking of buying some ETHER as a flyer given the pullback. Having some fun!

Spending down the principle seems to be far away right now. If not now, when? Does not Firecalc assume that?

(Pas de lieu Rhône que nous. Our French teacher said Pas d'elle yeux Rhone que nous! It took us a while to figure it out!)
Old 12-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #124
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

I feel the same way .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Maybe not as much as you think. I'm in the same situation, albeit on a much smaller scale. I'm sure others are as well.
Yes, probably. But we seem much more interested in discussing honey glazed hams, cognac, wine, knives, shellfish,iPhones, etc. More fun and easier? Well we do live in a consumer society, I guess.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Forget legacy for us. My concern is having enough to cover us for late-in-life medical expenses.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Forget legacy for us. My concern is having enough to cover us for late-in-life medical expenses.
Agreed, the legacy is not as much in my mind as the $45 K I blew this year on dental work. That would have been a nice new pickup truck that I could have used (enjoyed?) and left as part of the legacy.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
My plan is that when the market tanks I won't have to decrease my spending.
That’s my plan as well. I am only giving myself a 1.35% raise for 2018 (less than the CPI increase for the trailing 12 months). Even if the market dropped 50% tomorrow, my WR would remain well below 4% and I would not have to decrease my spending.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

I gave myself a $200 a month raise for entertainment earlier in the year but ended up not taking the raise and cutting the entertainment budget by $75 instead. We don't go out less, we just spend less. Over time I just keep finding more and more good deals and ways to save. Last night we went to a ballet performance in the city, walked around the fountains and Christmas lights at Yerba Buena Gardens and had drinks at a roof top bar with pretty city views. For us that was a fun night out so I don't see a need to spend more. The bargain hunting part is half the fun for me.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:28 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

The market return this year is 6.5x my 2017 expenses. And this year's expenses still included some significant non-recurrent charges that will go away.

So, I should have a lot more discretionary spending, but I do not feel I need anything. Surely, buying a 3rd home will blow that money in a hurry, but I do not want one, so why do I put myself through the hassle?

Quote:
I do think about it, but not a lot. Not yet anyway. Two reasons: 1) I am not that loaded yet, and 2) I am 61 and still have time to think of things I really "want". I must be sure what I spend money on gives me pleasure and not more hassle.

Quote:
Yes, probably. But we seem much more interested in discussing honey glazed hams, cognac, wine, knives, shellfish,iPhones, etc. More fun and easier? Well we do live in a consumer society, I guess.
Consumables are something we all have to buy. So, it's easiest to upgrade these. It is true that they do not really make a dent. To really blow some dough, one needs another home, or at least a luxury car. I do not have enough for, nor want a 3rd home. And having a Tesla in my garage would not bring up my happiness level any.

So, consumables it is. Even there, I only eat and drink so much. I like to travel, but doing too much of it, then it becomes tedious like work.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Yes, consumables it is for me also.
  • Faster Internet.
  • $15 a bottle wine bought from a local wine store replaces some of my $5-$12 bottles from Costco and TJ's. And, it is part of the buy from local business that I like to support.
  • grass fed beef
  • a bottle of fancy bourbon recommended by folks on this site
  • cashmere travel sweater
  • searching for a very nice Fine Art matte photo paper to replace the cheaper and more ordinary paper I have been using.
  • upped contributions to charitable causes that put at least 85% of the money to good use. (OK, not my consumable, but consumed by others.
And, while not a consumable, probably the most expensive vacation year yet.

I am looking to upgrade some of my photo gear, but as of today I just can't justify the expense against the added benefit. Spending for the sake of spending is not my idea of Blowing Dough.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #132

Just got done replacing 800 sq. ft of carpet with wood flooring. Was going to do it in 2018 but DW convinced me we could "do it ourselves" when she saw it discounted 20%.

I guess it was a win-win because we are still on target with our budgeted 2017 numbers and now we remove it from the 2018 budgeted numbers too!
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #133

We spend a lot more this year for new windows, furnace, and water heater. Next year, we probably need to spend $$ on roof and car.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #134

One of the kitties has developed chronic kidney disease so she’s doing her part to move the money out of my account.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I understand. A reasonably conservative approach. I am currently spending more than ever but when the market tanks I will just go back to spending divs. My divs are rock solid and weren’t cut in 2008-2009.

But I think it also depends on your age. I’m 67,been retired 11 years, and the portfolio is at an all time high. I figure if I don’t enjoy things now, I will soon get to the point where all I will want to do is “sit on the porch” (figuratively). This will likely mean a very large legacy left behind. I certainly don’t mind leaving a good size legacy but not something outrageous.

Ditto.

Post 70 1/2 sharing with my new found Pals at the IRS those non Roth portfolio parts is legacy I have mixed emotions about. Also the mental adjustment from early ER 'cheap SOB' to spend it before you croak is a work in progress.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
We spend a lot more this year for new windows, furnace, and water heater. Next year, we probably need to spend $$ on roof and car.
Once you are done with that, you probably won't have any more big irregular expenses for years! Those are most of the big ones for a house, it seems to me.

Oh, that is.... unless your teeth are bad. Dental implants can really add up.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #137

While you folks were debating spending, I was out..... well, spending. We just returned from a short cruise this week. Okay, it has been planned for awhile and in our regular budget. We did buy two glasses of wine on board to supplement the 2 bottles we brought on board. Clearly our increased net worth is causing us to throw caution to the wind. With tip, the wine was $12 per glass.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:24 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Yes, consumables it is for me also.
  • Faster Internet.
  • $15 a bottle wine bought from a local wine store replaces some of my $5-$12 bottles from Costco and TJ's. And, it is part of the buy from local business that I like to support.
  • grass fed beef
  • a bottle of fancy bourbon recommended by folks on this site
  • cashmere travel sweater
  • searching for a very nice Fine Art matte photo paper to replace the cheaper and more ordinary paper I have been using.
  • upped contributions to charitable causes that put at least 85% of the money to good use. (OK, not my consumable, but consumed by others.
And, while not a consumable, probably the most expensive vacation year yet.

I am looking to upgrade some of my photo gear, but as of today I just can't justify the expense against the added benefit. Spending for the sake of spending is not my idea of Blowing Dough.

Do tell. What bourbon did you choose to blow dough on?
Old 12-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
While you folks were debating spending, I was out..... well, spending. We just returned from a short cruise this week. Okay, it has been planned for awhile and in our regular budget. We did buy two glasses of wine on board to supplement the 2 bottles we brought on board. Clearly our increased net worth is causing us to throw caution to the wind. With tip, the wine was $12 per glass.
The last cruise we took, we had an unlimited booze package. Even then, I took only 3-4 drinks a day. Could not blow more dough on booze if I wanted to. Guess I could have ordered some premium and rare shots.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

New kitchen and some living room furniture this year $$$. Even paid someone to do the lawn for the last half of summer and told my DW she could let the hairdresser color her hair instead of doing it at home! ☺
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote