Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm still into trying to live high on the hog with a low withdrawal rate, preferably zero. I'm pretty close these days, once SS kicks in on top of pensions and some hobby income. We just laugh when we look at what we could spend on a 4% withdrawal rate. It just isn't us to even want to do that, though it is nice to know it is an option.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

If spending brings joy - spend. As a contrarian, google "year of spending nothing". I paw through drawers hunting something and find piles of stuff we bought and haven't used. Possessions just weigh me down. I do note that many here spend on experiences, which seems different.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

With the new tax bill eliminating deductibility of HELOC interest, we’ll probably pay it off before 1/1. No impact on NW, but definitely an impact on available cash.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #64

Inspired by this thread, I ordered lobster tails and crab cakes for Christmas and NYE dinners. Of course, they were on sale with a special extra 5% off discount for ordering today - some habits are hard to break!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #65

For decades a SIL and BIL have hosted the large Christmas dinner and paid for most, if not all, of the food. We'd of course bring a side dish but they paid for the bulk of it. Although they have pensions, their income is now less than one-half of what it was and they've been having a hard time adjusting.

So for the last few years we've sprung for the spiral cut Honeybaked Ham that for some reason SIL feels is necessary and traditional at that dinner. So now that $90 (delivered) 10 lb. ham is in the refrigerator thawing. It's good ham, but I am hard put to tell the difference between that and the ones we can buy for less than half that price at any of the local grocery stores. But what the hey, it's once a year, we can easily afford it, it makes her feel good and we like them, and we do enjoy seeing everyone at the party.

So here's to Honeybaked Ham!
Old 12-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Starting to add up the 2017 totals for spending. Yikes!

Big dental (not done yet) - $40 K

Other medical not covered by Medicare/Medigap/Part D - ~$8 K (mostly DW)

Assisting other family members (gifts, of course) - $14 K (rent, other bills, medical)

Deposits for DD's April 2018 wedding (finally!) - $8 K

I'M STARTING TO ACT LIKE ROBBIE!!
(Blow that dough!)

Dilley Dilley!
Old 12-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
With the new tax bill eliminating deductibility of HELOC interest, we’ll probably pay it off before 1/1. No impact on NW, but definitely an impact on available cash.
Yeah without the break its not as attractive to hold onto HELOC if you had no other reason. One of the clients I advise is thinking of doing this as well.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Starting to add up the 2017 totals for spending. Yikes!

Big dental (not done yet) - $40 K

Other medical not covered by Medicare/Medigap/Part D - ~$8 K (mostly DW)

Assisting other family members (gifts, of course) - $14 K (rent, other bills, medical)

Deposits for DD's April 2018 wedding (finally!) - $8 K

I'M STARTING TO ACT LIKE ROBBIE!!
(Blow that dough!)

Dilley Dilley!
Wow!!! That's a lot. Look at it this way - - good thing all these expenses came up this year, with the market booming. Right now, most of us can afford to spend a little more than usual if need be. During a year like 2009, it would be more difficult I think.

Blow that dough! Dilley Dilley! That sounds like a dill pickle to me, but hey, whatever.....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Woo-Hoo, my theme -

Yeah Baby! Blow that dough!

I bought myself a Christmas present this year. A one of a kind hand made knife, mirror polished with grade AAA mother of pearl scales. Two grand.

Live the dream -
You rock!

I did treat myself to a Martini-Henry MK4 this past month; the seller didn't really know what he had. But other than that, no real drunken sailor expenditures yet.

My portfolio returned over the last QTR nearly twice what my annual "earned" income was during my last year of w*rk. I should buy a knife, yes?

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
My situation seems to be that as I have achieved a level of affluence, I no longer enjoy things like international travel, and heavy restaurant meals. I seem to enjoy my own cooking and my own bed.
A lot of what I thought would be great fun upon retirement has turned out to be an opportunity to be uncomfortable.
I still like to eat out, especially certain ethnic foods that are a pain to do at home. We've certainly cut back though. We can usually eat better at home were we can control the ingredients and prep. As for travel, I haven't been to airport since FIRING 3 years ago. We have done a bunch of epic road trips though. I like the slower pace and flexibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
For several years while working I would go scuba diving 3 times a year, and at that time looked forward to more when retired. However after about 10 years I got burned out on it since I would get a cold nearly every time I took a trip (and colds and scuba don't mix well). So I gave it up.
I feel your pain! Our summer kayak trip was epic and amazing. Upon return, it took more than a month to finally shake off the resulting cold/flu bug. Then there are the back issues. I'd love to push harder in my outdoor sports, but my body rebels, usually after the fact. One of my few regrets in retirement, wish I had left sooner...
Old 12-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar View Post
You rock!

I did treat myself to a Martini-Henry MK4 this past month; the seller didn't really know what he had. But other than that, no real drunken sailor expenditures yet.

My portfolio returned over the last QTR nearly twice what my annual "earned" income was during my last year of w*rk. I should buy a knife, yes?

_B
Absolutely! You need to buy a knife. Or, whatever floats your boat. That kind of portfolio return is amazing.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow!!! That's a lot. Look at it this way - - good thing all these expenses came up this year, with the market booming. Right now, most of us can afford to spend a little more than usual if need be. During a year like 2009, it would be more difficult I think.

Blow that dough! Dilley Dilley! That sounds like a dill pickle to me, but hey, whatever.....
Yes, Mr. Market covered all plus more. I am grateful! Next year is "The Wedding" and Dad's daughter (@ 37) will be finally married off.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yes, Mr. Market covered all plus more. I am grateful! Next year is "The Wedding" and Dad's daughter (@ 37) will be finally married off.
My only daughter's wedding was in Oregon, two weeks before I retired. I had set my retirement date years before, and did not want to change it. And, she could only get the location reserved on that date. Oh well, it all worked out although I felt like I was 110 years old by the time I had her married off and I was retired.

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding. It's nice to know that one's daughter has a DH who is watching out for her, especially if she lives far away like mine does.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #74

Well, we could all buy several of these;

https://www.teeshirtpalace.com/produ...hoCAFcQAvD_BwE
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Come to think of it, we did blow a lot of dough this year. Move across country (on our dime), close to a full house renovation, new car, stocking up our new wine cellar, plus a few other shameful follies... it’s just that most of the money did not come out of our portfolio all at once this year. It had been set aside for those purposes over several years so I don’t feel like we broke the bank.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
For decades a SIL and BIL have hosted the large Christmas dinner and paid for most, if not all, of the food. We'd of course bring a side dish but they paid for the bulk of it. Although they have pensions, their income is now less than one-half of what it was and they've been having a hard time adjusting.

So for the last few years we've sprung for the spiral cut Honeybaked Ham that for some reason SIL feels is necessary and traditional at that dinner. So now that $90 (delivered) 10 lb. ham is in the refrigerator thawing. It's good ham, but I am hard put to tell the difference between that and the ones we can buy for less than half that price at any of the local grocery stores. But what the hey, it's once a year, we can easily afford it, it makes her feel good and we like them, and we do enjoy seeing everyone at the party.

So here's to Honeybaked Ham!
+1 My uncle who will be having Christmas dinner with us can't have ham due to dietary restrictions... DW had had me buy one a week or so ago and we had forgot about his restrictions... so that will go in the freezer... she bought a small piece of ribeye roast to try and we had it tonight and it was delicious so I told her that we should get a bigger one for Christmas and she hedges and says it is $8/pound... my response... so what, only $40 for the 5 of us and its Christmas!

Robbie is rubbing off on us.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Christmas is but once a year. So in honor of the blow that dough, dinner for two is 4.5 pounds of the biggliest king crabs.

These were 39 bucks a pound. Whoo hoo..

Thanks Robbie.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:42 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Well, we could all buy several of these;

https://www.teeshirtpalace.com/produ...hoCAFcQAvD_BwE
Very nice !! Thanks you!! I am ordering a few of these.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:16 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
We're doing our part. Upcoming ski trip to Whistler/Blackcomb in feb, first class air, slopeside lodging & all the perks.
February? Piker! My extended family of 8 just arrived, we will join them Saturday. The cost of lodging alone choked me.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:20 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My only daughter's wedding was in Oregon, two weeks before I retired. I had set my retirement date years before, and did not want to change it. And, she could only get the location reserved on that date. Oh well, it all worked out although I felt like I was 110 years old by the time I had her married off and I was retired. ...

Weddings are very stressful for the parents... Count yourself lucky, few Oregon weddings break their parent's bank.