Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Blue Light Special
Old 06-11-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,934
Blue Light Special

OK, I couldn't stand it any more and just bought more VTSAX and VFWIX. I planned to do this on Friday, but The Dow is down another 135 points and it's only 11 AM Eastern time and I smell bargains!

(Consequently you can expect the market to rally SIGNIFICANTLY this afternoon, topping 13,000 before close - - such has been my luck at these attempts at minor market timing.)

Anybody else thinking of buying equities today?
__________________

__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
OK, I couldn't stand it any more and just bought more VTSAX and VFWIX. I planned to do this on Friday, but The Dow is down another 135 points and it's only 11 AM Eastern time and I smell bargains!
You might want to schedule a doctor's appointment to have your testosterone level checked...
__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Coach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
(Consequently you can expect the market to rally SIGNIFICANTLY this afternoon, topping 13,000 before close - - such has been my luck at these attempts at minor market timing.)
Want2retire, on behalf of all of us, thanks!

Coach
__________________
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,764
How low Dow??
__________________
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You might want to schedule a doctor's appointment to have your testosterone level checked...
ROFL!!! Well gee, now that I'm finally 60, heaven knows what happens with hormones at this advanced age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Want2retire, on behalf of all of us, thanks!

Coach
You're quite welcome! Next I had better wash my car. We need rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
How low Dow??
You mean, "How low Dow now, brown cow?"

Hot dog! It's down 162 by now. Guess the BIG rally will be after lunch.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

Anybody else thinking of buying equities today?
Surely you gest. If I bought today, the market would surely drop 1000 points. In all seriousness, I'm glad some might see this as a buying opportunity. Maybe I will eventually get out without having to kiss that creature brewer posted.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indialantic FL
Posts: 1,201
Actually... I have bought equities today too (gotta stay busy at work). Bought LYG.

Jim
__________________
jimnjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,020
Nope... my taxables buy every Friday and my 401(k) buys the 15th and 1st and my wife's 401(k) buys every two weeks. Anything aside from that would involve wiring money out of our emergency fund and that seems like too much of a bother.
__________________
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Surely you gest. If I bought today, the market would surely drop 1000 points. In all seriousness, I'm glad some might see this as a buying opportunity. Maybe I will eventually get out without having to kiss that creature brewer posted.
Ew, that was some ugly creature! I hope you don't have to kiss it either (for any reason!).

That's another possibility. Instead of the Dow exceeding 13,000 this afternoon, it could drop to 8000 tomorrow and for the forseeable future. Oh well. It seems I continually have to teach myself not to market-time by means of repeated bad experiences at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Actually... I have bought equities today too (gotta stay busy at work). Bought LYG.

Jim
Great!! Let's hope we have some good luck with this.

I have been DCA'ing into VTSAX and VFWIX on the 14th of each month, so really I just jumped the gun a little. Couldn't help it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Nope... my taxables buy every Friday and my 401(k) buys the 15th and 1st and my wife's 401(k) buys every two weeks. Anything aside from that would involve wiring money out of our emergency fund and that seems like too much of a bother.
I probably should have arranged automatic investing like you did, to avoid the above temptations....
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
No vanguard emerging markets?
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
No vanguard emerging markets?
I do have a little VEIEX, but only about 1-2% of my portfolio. That is money that I have designated my "play money" to follow my whims and invest as I please. VEIEX has been doing terribly lately, though.

What I bought today is as designated in my plan, which I thrashed out last winter. I am looking forward to finding out about the foreign tax credits with VFWIX, which will be about 13% of my portfolio once I am fully invested.

20% VTSAX Total Stock Market
13% VFWIX FTSE All-World Ex-US
2% play (mostly VEIEX Emerging Markets right now)
30% VWIAX Wellesley
35% bonds/MM

OK, it's 3:22 Eastern Time and we are down 178 points! Let's hear it for a huge rally tomorrow... !!
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,862
I already (semi prematurely) blew through my cash to stock allocations for the market -20% and -25% points a while back. So I really should wait for -30% or so before adding more equities. I might be able to make a few shifts without worrying about taxes if things continue down. It gives me something to do at least.

The foreign tax credit stuff was pretty irritating if you had more than $600 in foreign taxes. I had to dig up how much foreign income my several international funds had. That info was posted about a week before 4/15, and I had to go directly to fund company sites to get it. I guess income had to be detailed by country before 2007, so at least I missed that.

Dan
__________________
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
packrat44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: near Canadian border and near Mexican border
Posts: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
How low Dow??
Are you talking Chinese?
__________________
Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
packrat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #14
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
I already (semi prematurely) blew through my cash to stock allocations for the market -20% and -25% points a while back. So I really should wait for -30% or so before adding more equities. I might be able to make a few shifts without worrying about taxes if things continue down. It gives me something to do at least.

The foreign tax credit stuff was pretty irritating if you had more than $600 in foreign taxes. I had to dig up how much foreign income my several international funds had. That info was posted about a week before 4/15, and I had to go directly to fund company sites to get it. I guess income had to be detailed by country before 2007, so at least I missed that.

Dan
Thanks for the heads up, Dan! I'll be on the alert to find out the details next spring.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,898
Thanks for reminding me, Want2Retire! I need to make another ROTH contribution and today looks like a good day!
__________________
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,044
W2R, I am buying too...

I bought US large caps and International equities with an emphasis on Emerging Markets on Monday (scheduled VCA into taxable), and I rebalanced the wife's 401K today (I put to work a lot of the cash which had been accumulating in the account for the past 6 months). I also bought some more VG REITs and VG Emerging Markets this afternoon (non scheduled VCA into taxable) using a chunk of our emergency fund (oops!)... Overall I added about 10% to my EM position since Monday.
__________________
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #17
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Thanks for reminding me, Want2Retire! I need to make another ROTH contribution and today looks like a good day!
Sure does! I didn't realize that you were still working, like me! For some reason I thought you were already retired. I guess next year will be my last Roth contribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
W2R, I am buying too...

I bought US large caps and International equities with an emphasis on Emerging Markets on Monday (scheduled VCA into taxable), and I rebalanced the wife's 401K today (I put to work a lot of the cash which had been accumulating in the account for the past 6 months). I also bought some more VG REITs and VG Emerging Markets this afternoon (non scheduled VCA into taxable) using a chunk of our emergency fund (oops!)... Overall I added about 10% to my EM position since Monday.
Emerging Markets have taken a beating lately, so I think it was probably a really good time to buy.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:05 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets
Linney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
OK, I couldn't stand it any more and just bought more VTSAX and VFWIX. .....Anybody else thinking of buying equities today?
WTR,

I bought today too -- VTSMX. Some day I will qualify for the VTSAX Admiral shares!

Every quarter I upload the excess from my credit union savings account to my Vanguard MM account and then I buy on the next available dip. That recent 400 point drop followed by today's 200 point drop was my trigger to make this latest buy. I do stress somewhat over thoughts on the market dropping even more the next day. Thank goodness most of my investing is via DCA into my 401k so the bulk of my retirement investing is automatic.

--Linney
__________________
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:42 AM   #19
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linney View Post
WTR,

I bought today too -- VTSMX. Some day I will qualify for the VTSAX Admiral shares!

Every quarter I upload the excess from my credit union savings account to my Vanguard MM account and then I buy on the next available dip. That recent 400 point drop followed by today's 200 point drop was my trigger to make this latest buy. I do stress somewhat over thoughts on the market dropping even more the next day. Thank goodness most of my investing is via DCA into my 401k so the bulk of my retirement investing is automatic.
Good move to buy Total Stock Market yesterday! Or at least, it seemed so to me. Guess we will see.

My 401K (TSP) contributions are automatic, every two weeks, as well. I could set up automatic contributions to my taxable account, but haven't. As for the market, my crystal ball tells me that today it might not move much and tomorrow it might go down again (or up?) If my crystal ball were working, my accounts would be much larger than they are at present.

At least I think I did better this time than I did in March, when I invested late on a day when the market was down. On the following day while my investment was being processed, the market surged markedly. So, I was unknowingly buying high.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:48 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
simple girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linney View Post
WTR,

I bought today too -- VTSMX. Some day I will qualify for the VTSAX Admiral shares!

Every quarter I upload the excess from my credit union savings account to my Vanguard MM account and then I buy on the next available dip. That recent 400 point drop followed by today's 200 point drop was my trigger to make this latest buy. I do stress somewhat over thoughts on the market dropping even more the next day. Thank goodness most of my investing is via DCA into my 401k so the bulk of my retirement investing is automatic.

--Linney
Linney,

We put in a buy for VTSMX yesterday, too (we buy once every 2 or 3 weeks). However, the transaction won't actually go through until the end of today. Our luck (as has happenned in the past) is that there will be a big rally today. Did you put your buy in yesterday or the day before? To my knowledge, with Vanguard, you can't put a buy in and get it to go through that same day. There is always a delay. This is one of the things that does really frustrate me with Vanguard. Oh well, I know, shouldn't be trying to time the market, right?
__________________

__________________
simple girl
less stuff, more time

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retire in Michigan... Blue Cross and Blue Shield TallCotton Health and Early Retirement 5 02-10-2007 08:33 AM
Woop! Woop! Blue light special brewer12345 FIRE and Money 27 12-11-2006 05:19 PM
When did you see the light? Rich_by_the_Bay Life after FIRE 130 08-12-2006 03:29 PM
Some Light Reading Bob_Smith Other topics 29 03-05-2005 02:37 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:13 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.