Join Early Retirement Today

Bluebird Debit Card
Old 02-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Bluebird Debit Card

This was briefly mentioned in this 3 day thread.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...nes-64800.html
I have signed up online, and am awaiting the account cards... free on line, but offered as a "starter kit" at Walmart, for $5.

I would be interested in any feedback from those who have used this (newer) debit card.

It looks to be almost foolproof...
Offered by Walmart and American Express, no fees... can load card from your bank online, at Walmart, or Amex ATM's for free. Usable wherever American Express is offered. Can use "sub-account" cards, limiting the withdrawal amounts and frequency. I like the idea of this, as a safety cushion for kids, or to keep in the car... just in case..

The only downside that I see, is the limitation of acceptance of Amex cards. My guess is that this will eventually change as this card takes off.

Do you see any problems?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been using it for a week. BB is not a bank, and is not insured by FDIC. Therefore, they don't accept payments from the federal government. I've been using it to cash in Vanilla re-load cards and make a nice little profit of several hundred dollars. I've only had it for about a week, but it works as advertised. Made a payment to one of my credit cards, no issues noted. For everyday spending, I don't recommend it because it is essentially a debit card, so you don't have anything even close to the protection that a credit card offers.

edit - this is the last thing I would ever leave in the car! What if it gets stolen?
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

OMG... living in a cave, people like me don't know about vanilla reloads.
No wonder I'm poor.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #4

Not sure why I would use it over a regular checking account/debit card or CC. I guess some problems would be it's not FDIC insured, earns no interest on deposits, there is $2 AMEX network fee for ATMs unless you deposit your paycheck ( which I don't have ).
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
I've been using it for a week. BB is not a bank, and is not insured by FDIC. Therefore, they don't accept payments from the federal government. I've been using it to cash in Vanilla re-load cards and make a nice little profit of several hundred dollars. I've only had it for about a week, but it works as advertised. Made a payment to one of my credit cards, no issues noted.
The credit card you used to by the Vanilla reload cards, no doubt. :-)

Dire Straits had it right...
Quote:
Now look at them yo-yos thats the way you do it
You play the guitar on the mtv
That aint workin thats the way you do it
Money for nothin and chicks for free
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

There's a proliferation of these cards on the market. Bluebird is just one of them.

They appeal to the individual who has bounced so many checks, and defaulted on so many credit accounts, that no mainstream institution is going to let them near anything with a magnetic strip on it. The prepaid card fills that market. It's the only way some people have access to anything resembling a bank account or credit card. And they're willing to put up with the high fees.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #7

Quote:
They appeal to the individual who has bounced so many checks, and defaulted on so many credit accounts, that no mainstream institution is going to let them near anything with a magnetic strip on it.
Exactly. And I didn't know (until one of my tenants declared bankruptcy) that you cannot get a checking account after you've declared bankruptcy. Money orders are about the only way they have to pay their bills. This card, and others like it, gives them some options.

My eyes have been opened regarding how lucky I am.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I've been using it for a week. BB is not a bank, and is not insured by FDIC. Therefore, they don't accept payments from the federal government. I've been using it to cash in Vanilla re-load cards and make a nice little profit of several hundred dollars. I've only had it for about a week, but it works as advertised. Made a payment to one of my credit cards, no issues noted. For everyday spending, I don't recommend it because it is essentially a debit card, so you don't have anything even close to the protection that a credit card offers.

edit - this is the last thing I would ever leave in the car! What if it gets stolen?
where are you getting the reloads?! I can't find anyone who will take a CC to buy them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
There's a proliferation of these cards on the market. Bluebird is just one of them.

They appeal to the individual who has bounced so many checks, and defaulted on so many credit accounts, that no mainstream institution is going to let them near anything with a magnetic strip on it. The prepaid card fills that market. It's the only way some people have access to anything resembling a bank account or credit card. And they're willing to put up with the high fees.
and travel/point/cash back hackers.
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
where are you getting the reloads?! I can't find anyone who will take a CC to buy them!
Charlie
Victor
Sierra

Intersting point above about the bankrupt tenant. These accounts are being pushed via Wal-Mart, which makes sense for those who can't write a check, but still need a method to send a payment.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Charlie
Victor
Sierra

Intersting point above about the bankrupt tenant. These accounts are being pushed via Wal-Mart, which makes sense for those who can't write a check, but still need a method to send a payment.
Roger that. Too bad I have none in my state
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #11

Quote:

One blog I read mentioned it was odd that was AMEX since AMEX probably is not accepted where most of these folks would shop.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote