Bogleheads Guide to Retirement

walkinwood

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Edit: changes to remove "Early" from the post title & the book reference.

Hello,
This thread on the bogleheads forum announces the availability of the Boglehead's Guide to Retirement Planning
Bogleheads :: View topic - The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning IS HERE!

You can preview a lot of the book at Google Books

My thoughts on reading the preview. (Please note: I have NOT read the entire book)
a. If you're new to ER planning, this is probably a very useful book.
b. If you've done a lot of ER reading to date, its probably a repeat of what you know. This is not an indictment of the book, but something to be expected. There's only so much on the topic out there, and this forum actively looks for it on a daily basis.

Two chapters of great interest to me were the Withdrawal Strategies and Early Retirement. I didn't find much of use in the former, and the latter had a large block of pages missing in the preview, so I can't say much about it.

I haven't seen the book, but I have seen the chapter headings. I think it is a mistatement to use the adjective "Early" in this thread title and first post. The book is about retirement, but nothing special about early retirement. Don't fake us out. Please.

The one chapter with "early" in the chapter title points to this forum.

Ooops. probably was my wishful thinking. I've gone back and modified the title and text. Thanks for pointing it out.

When did you edit to change title? Early is still there on the new posts page. May be a flaw in software??

The one chapter with "early" in the chapter title points to this forum.

I was asked to "peer-review" the chapter on early retirement. This mostly consisted of word smithing and general comments, although I did suggest that a link to this forum (and another forum) be included. I'm glad that these suggestions made it through.

While the book has four official authors, each chapter was written by a different user from the bogleheads forum. I know that there is at least one person who posts here who is an author of a chapter.

I haven't read the book, except for a few drafts of the early retirement chapter. My thinking is that it is a good comprehensive book, especially for people new to the subject. However, as walkinwood suggests, much of the material may be old news to those who post here (especially the ER chapter).

Bought the book today and knowing the source I am certain it will be a great book. I can't say enough good things about what I've learned at bogleheads.org (and here).

Back
Top Bottom