Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Bond/FI Allocation Changes?
Old 10-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #1
gone traveling

Bond/FI Allocation Changes?

DW and myself are not yet collecting SS, nor is DW receiving her small pension for a few more years. I am wondering how many reduced their bond/FI allocations when starting to collect SS and/or pensions or just left it the same. I am currently at about a 30% bond/FI allocation and was thinking to just leave that alone after the other income sources kick in.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 07:23 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Didn't change our bond allocation when we started taking SS. In theory we should be more comfortable with a higher risk level/equity allocation once on SS, but in actuality that comfort level didn't change.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My equity allocation is so low, I will probably bump it a tad when I start SS. But even after I do that, my AA will still be more conservative than most here. Yep......I am a wuss.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In theory reducing your FI proportion to reflect any pensions makes good sense. You don't have to wait until you start collecting though. You know when it's coming and how much the payments will be, so you could simply discount the present value of this payment stream and include it as a notional FI component in your AA.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:39 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We include the present value of all pensions (3) as part of our FI allocation. This leads to us investing in more equity from our liquid funds. The registered retirement funds are all equity. Each year we rebalance them after our withdrawals.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
My equity allocation is so low, I will probably bump it a tad when I start SS. But even after I do that, my AA will still be more conservative than most here. Yep......I am a wuss.
Or a made man. Nothing to worry about, so why create stress? Good for you.

Personally, my bond allocation is probably a little too low, so I'll leave it alone when we get to SS time. We're diversified between equities, bonds, and real estate, and I'm pretty comfortable with that AA.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:18 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
In theory reducing your FI proportion to reflect any pensions makes good sense. You don't have to wait until you start collecting though. You know when it's coming and how much the payments will be, so you could simply discount the present value of this payment stream and include it as a notional FI component in your AA.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-03-2016, 07:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
DW and myself are not yet collecting SS, nor is DW receiving her small pension for a few more years. I am wondering how many reduced their bond/FI allocations when starting to collect SS and/or pensions or just left it the same. I am currently at about a 30% bond/FI allocation and was thinking to just leave that alone after the other income sources kick in.
If you are saying you have 70% equities, I would think that is a pretty decent helping of risk.

FWIW, we are at 60/40 right now but it will be variable for us. I don't have a problem with adjusting risk based on a reasonable methodology.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:29 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
If you are saying you have 70% equities, I would think that is a pretty decent helping of risk.

FWIW, we are at 60/40 right now but it will be variable for us. I don't have a problem with adjusting risk based on a reasonable methodology.
No, I am not saying that, as I do not count my cash position as bond/FI.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:43 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We include the present value of all pensions (3) as part of our FI allocation. This leads to us investing in more equity from our liquid funds. The registered retirement funds are all equity. Each year we rebalance them after our withdrawals.
Do you do this just for your pensions? Or do you also do it for your social security? If you do not do it for your social security, why not?
nico08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico08 View Post
Do you do this just for your pensions? Or do you also do it for your social security? If you do not do it for your social security, why not?
I guess I'm up earlier than Keith this AM, so will note that being Canadian he doesn't receive SS. Sounds like he has included all his pensions including CPP and any unclawed OAS. Agree Americans would include SS as this is a pension.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:02 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I guess I'm up earlier than Keith this AM, so will note that being Canadian he doesn't receive SS. Sounds like he has included all his pensions including CPP and any unclawed OAS. Agree Americans would include SS as this is a pension.
I understand. Thank you.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:07 AM   #13

Our pensions and SS meet 85%+/- of our spending including taxes, but we still maintain a 55/40/5, E/FI/C allocation. SWAN is important to us.
Golden sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:08 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
A decline in income might inspire me to be more conservative, but I would increase my equity allocation only in response to a change in expectations for future equity returns.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:23 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Our pensions and SS meet 85%+/- of our spending including taxes, but we still maintain a 55/40/5, E/FI/C allocation. SWAN is important to us.
Should I know what SWAN is an acronym for? I have never heard it used before.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:28 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico08 View Post
Should I know what SWAN is an acronym for? I have never heard it used before.
Syndrome Without A Name.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, I am not saying that, as I do not count my cash position as bond/FI.
Maybe I don't quite get the "bond/FI" shorthand. Do you mean bond's as a percentage of fixed income assets? I would include cash (savings, 3 month Treasuries, checking) as part of the FI as generally cash earns some interest.

Anyway, with my definition of FI, our bonds that are subject to interest rate gyrations make up 70% of our FI. And we take SS but there are no pensions. Our cash is set to minimal needs (currently 3% of FI) and the short term bonds (10% of FI) is where the cash gets produced from. Ibonds are 17% of the FI.

Here is one way I personally look at the intermediate bonds right now. For a fund like VFIDX (Intermediate bonds) the SEC yield is 2.3%. I would guess a rise in rates over the next 12 months of 0.5% (2 Fed quarter point hikes). Then the net nominal return for those 12 months might be zero as the duration is 5.5 years. But at the end of those 12 months the yield will likely be about 2.8%. So if the Fed continues to bump up rates, eventually we will see some real returns. There might be a bit of bond pain going forward but no guarantees on that one as recent years have been a nice ride. I could have said this same thing 12 months ago and been wrong.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Maybe I don't quite get the "bond/FI" shorthand. Do you mean bond's as a percentage of fixed income assets? I would include cash (savings, 3 month Treasuries, checking) as part of the FI as generally cash earns some interest.
My bond/fixed income allocation represents 30% of my total portfolio. Equities and cash make up the other 70%.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe I don't quite get the "bond/FI" shorthand. ....
While I think the OP used the term synonymously, bonds are a subset of fixed income.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
While I think the OP used the term synonymously, bonds are a subset of fixed income.
Right, my fixed income portion includes longer term CDs and a stable value fund that I do not consider the same as cash. Of course, others may classify those investments differently, but yes, bonds are a subset of fixed income.