Join Early Retirement Today
Bond fund in taxable account?
Old 07-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
gone traveling
Bond fund in taxable account?

I am in my early fifties with no debt or mortgage. My present portfolio is about 28% in bonds with the breakdown as follows:

17k in a MA muni fund, I live in MA, this is in taxable account
30k in I Bonds in taxable account
65k in Vanguard Total Bond Market Index in Roth
33k in Loomis Sayles Bond Retail in IRA
30K in Vanguard Intermediate Term Grade fund in IRA

I am looking to increase my bond allocation to about 33-35%, but since I have made my full Roth contribution, I would like to put new bond monies in a taxable account, but read this isn't such a great idea. I am looking to initially invest about 20-25k, and was thinking of T Rowe Price Summit Municipal Income, but not sure.

My tax bracket is 25%

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

joecaf53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Do you have any stock funds in your tax deferred space? If so buy the equivalent stock fund in your taxable account and simultaneously swap an equal amount of the stock fund in your tax deferred account into the bond fund of your choice.

If not then see LOL's post here: Rebalancing Question

At 54% of FIRE target
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote