Join Early Retirement Today

Bond fund vs. money market for medium-term svgs?
Old 01-11-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bond fund vs. money market for medium-term svgs?

For the sake of discussion, I would like to leave "asset allocation" out of this question.

I need to park money for some future (3 months to 1 year) large expenses. Some of this is ongoing savings, so it's not like we have a big lump sum to put in a high-yield CD.

I have two choices: money market funds or bond funds. We pay the same 24% on income either way. (Any longer than 1 year, and we'd put the $$ in a stock index fund).

All that said, I'd rather put the money in the VG Total Bond fund than in a money market mutual fund. The bond fund's capital gain tends to be very small, so there should not be much tax on sale of shares. Meanwhile we would be earning more income on our deposit. 2.26% vs. 1.54% per yesterday's listings.

Any reason this would be the wrong decision?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
... Any reason this would be the wrong decision?
Maybe. What will happen to your principal balance if interest rates rise?

We have our near-in-needs bucket in SWVXX because it's convenient at Schwab. I have not shopped around to squeeze the last basis point out of the yield, though. YMMV.

OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I have money I may need in the next 1-3 years in CD's and money funds. With bond rates at historic lows, I think it is more likely that they will rise and bring down the price of bonds overall. Maybe a Short Term bond fund will do OK.

FWIW, I have been wrong on interest rates for over a decade. As one who once refinanced to get my mortgage rate down to 7.75% I am in awe of today's low rates.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:55 AM   #4

Have you considered an Ultra short bond fund ?
VUBFX has a 30 day of 1.99% and the duration of less than a year would keep the downside interest rate risk pretty low.
You have a bet to make. If interest rates go down or remain steady, the bond fund is the best bet, if rates go up the MM is the better bet. Which do you believe will happen?
Personally, anything needed in less than 6 months I'd leave in MM unless it's a huge sum
Old 01-11-2020, 11:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
FWIW, I have money I may need in the next 1-3 years in CD's and money funds. With bond rates at historic lows, I think it is more likely that they will rise and bring down the price of bonds overall. Maybe a Short Term bond fund will do OK.
I've recently had a reason to move some money that was in a money market fund around and decided to go with a short term (1-3 year) bond fund. That reflects the expected need for the money, may have some risk but I'm guessing it'll be minimal.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Yes - because you've indicated that the money is needed for a large expense. At the same time, by putting it in a bond fund, you are investing, opening yourself up to the risk of losing money while it is sitting there. You are chasing yield and taking risk for that opportunity. The money market fund has zero risk. You know you will get your money back and some amount of interest. With the bond fund, it could easily fall 5% in value over the coming 12 months and even with the ~2% yield, you may well have less when you withdraw the money.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Yes - because you've indicated that the money is needed for a large expense. At the same time, by putting it in a bond fund, you are investing, opening yourself up to the risk of losing money while it is sitting there. You are chasing yield and taking risk for that opportunity. The money market fund has zero risk. You know you will get your money back and some amount of interest. With the bond fund, it could easily fall 5% in value over the coming 12 months and even with the ~2% yield, you may well have less when you withdraw the money.
+1, saved me the time to type pretty much the same post. I suppose it depends on how much of a necessity it is. If it's for a new car but you could go another year pretty easily, I might shoot for a better return with a little risk.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For the sake of discussion, I would like to leave "asset allocation" out of this question.

I need to park money for some future (3 months to 1 year) large expenses. Some of this is ongoing savings, so it's not like we have a big lump sum to put in a high-yield CD.

I have two choices: money market funds or bond funds. We pay the same 24% on income either way. (Any longer than 1 year, and we'd put the $$ in a stock index fund).

All that said, I'd rather put the money in the VG Total Bond fund than in a money market mutual fund. The bond fund's capital gain tends to be very small, so there should not be much tax on sale of shares. Meanwhile we would be earning more income on our deposit. 2.26% vs. 1.54% per yesterday's listings.

If it’s money I expect to use within a year, especially of within 3 months, I put it in high yield savings or a no penalty CD or money market.

I would absolutely NOT put it in a bond fund.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

OK, the votes are going in the MM direction...I didn't think of it as a poll but maybe I should have :-)

I'll check the CD/MM thread for no-penalty CDs. I had one at ALLY, but their customer service turned so awful on me that I withdrew it. It's a long story, which I will get around to telling one day. Let's just say that the phrase "May I put you on a brief 3-5 minute hold while I..." is now in my nightmares.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:20 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

With Total Bond you are exposing your principal to interest rate risk, so for 3-12 month money I don't think that is a good choice. I would go with either VMMXX (Vanguard Prime MM fund... current SEC yield is 1.69%) or a high-yield online savings account like Discover Bank (1.7%).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
With Total Bond you are exposing your principal to interest rate risk, so for 3-12 month money I don't think that is a good choice. I would go with either VMMXX (Vanguard Prime MM fund... current SEC yield is 1.69%) or a high-yield online savings account like Discover Bank (1.7%).
Yeah, IMO the time horizon is too short to chase yield at the expense of preservation of capital.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Synchrony is paying 1.8% in high yield. Others are paying more.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:47 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

From the CD rate thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Patriot Bank is offering a 2.26% APR on new online money market accounts. $100 minimum deposit (no maximum that I could find), and rate is guaranteed through June 2020.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/patri...rough-6-30-20/

Probably only worth doing if you have a substantial amount of cash to invest that isn't already earning a decent rate (like Ally's 1.6%).
Might be a good option for the OP.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:37 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I have the same discussion with myself from time to time. The ultra safe answer is MMF or CD. The riskier answer is Bond fund of some duration. As framed, you suggest this risk gets an additional 1 pct. The extra amount you gain will be weighted by the amount invested, so that must become part of your answer.

We're using Discover Bank and Schwab MMF in the situation you mentioned.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:39 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

For such a short time frame, money market.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:23 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

HSBC direct is advertising 2.05% online savings account rate.. I do not have any personal experience though.
pn3069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #17

One thing I always wonder about these discussions of yield differences, basis points, etc. is "Do these small differences really matter?" Talking basis points it a bit abstract. Ten basis points on $100K for a year is $100 and taxable. I'm sure we all have different thresholds but mine would be a lot higher than that before I'd shop the market, find the best rate, open an account, and move money.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:23 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

As much as I like bond funds, I think your time horizon is too short (and bond fund prices are on the high side) to consider them for your purpose.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:20 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

If the annual growth rate for BND will surely go down even if interest rates tick up, then why not put money in money mkt funds for the foreseeable future. The articles are indicating the interest rates will not fall but rise a little. It would seem logical to avoid bond funds for the near term, no?
thepalmersinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:46 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepalmersinking View Post
If the annual growth rate for BND will surely go down even if interest rates tick up, then why not put money in money mkt funds for the foreseeable future. The articles are indicating the interest rates will not fall but rise a little. It would seem logical to avoid bond funds for the near term, no?
Nobody knows nuthin'.

Regardless, for such a short time frame, there is no point in the additional risk of a bond fund.

mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bonds, emergency fund, income tax, interest