Bond Funds

I like the idea of 10 year penfed CD at 5%. If you held it into the fifth year and cashed it in I believe you would lose that years interest but you would still have made 4% on your money.

I hope we see some better rates within the next 5 yrs, as chasing yield in today's market can be a dangerous game.

Among the funds that I own are Wellesley (VWIAX) & TGCFX (TCW Core Fixed Income I) an intermediate bond fund. In the disatrous year 2008 TGCFX had a total return of 3.99%.

Two bond funds in my 401K are VBTIX and PTTRX. They both have performed well the last 5 yrs. plus you get a monthly dividend.

PTTRX did bad the past 6 mos., but Gross has changed his strategy and this past month has done very well. Don't forget he invests in other countries too. VBTiX did well too, but usually PTTRX does better. BUT, VBTIX has a lower cost rate.

IMO, I really don't think the mkt. will hurt the bond funds for at least another year. Everyone says the mkt will be choppy next year and I believe it because of Europe and China.

When the mkt finally does stabilize, maybe a balanced fund like FBALX or the Wellsley fund someone else mentioned.

I was listening to a Fidelity webinar and the speaker was saying he believes Europe will be the next Japan. He doesn't see how Greece can pay off the huge debt they have. If that is the case, it will definately take a while for the mkt to correct. I just read Gross' last newsletter and he sees a slow correction too.

I invest mostly with Vanguard and they have several bond options I like. I like the intermediate investment grade bonds fund and I like their convertible bonds fund (you should consider this as a fund with both bonds and stocks in it). For taxable they have many good muni funds.

For non-vanguard I like Jeff Gundlach's various Doubline funds.

Back
Top Bottom