Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Bond Funds Distribution and Taxes
Old 07-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bond Funds Distribution and Taxes

I was wondering for those in Bonds how much taxes are each month for your distribution?Do you pay Federal and State tax on the distribution?If so,is it better to try to get the highest yield possible to offset that?Or,is it better to try to get one of the tax exempt Bond funds for Federal and just pay State tax?Fortunately for me I have time before I have to worry about this, but it is coming and I want to learn what I can.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for asking. I don't pay any taxes on my bond fund distributions since all my bond funds are held in tax-advantaged accounts.

Non-tax-exempt bond fund dividends are taxed just like interest from a savings account or even wages. Bond fund capital gains are taxed like equity fund capital gains.

So maybe you can clarify your question a little bit. Do you do your own tax return each year?

More on munis: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Municipal_bonds including links to tax-equivalent yield calculators for some math that you can do in your head.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

The tax-exempt vs. taxable bonds question can only be answered by comparing rates and knowing your tax bracket. For example, if you are in the 25% bracket, and getting a 4% taxable bond rate, you'd need 3% tax exempt to match it. Less than 3%, you'd be better with taxable. More than 3%, tax exempt wins. If you are in the 33% bracket, the break-even rate becomes 2.67%. So take (1-tax rate) * taxable bond rate to get the break even tax exempt rate.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I was wondering for those in Bonds how much taxes are each month for your distribution?Do you pay Federal and State tax on the distribution?............
We have both a taxable and a tax-exempt fund in our taxable area. A year or two ago we switched the dividends on the taxable to come to us as cash, the tax-exempt still has the dividends re-invested. No state tax here. The dividends from the taxable bond fund are, well, taxable, whether they are re-invested or not.

This may be obvious, but just in case it isn't, If you want to get a handle on taxes:
Assume a taxable bond fund investment of X$
Look up a bond fund that you are interested in, find the share price and divide it into the X$ amount to get number of shares.
Look at the recent distributions of the fund to see the $ per share per unit of time. Many/most are monthly distribution. Do the math to get your total $ distributions for the past year.
Then you need to include that with your other income. A little bit of time with a tax form will do it, or play with TurboTax or the like to get your final answer.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:42 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

If one is familiar with IRA withdrawals, then dividends from a bond fund are taxed like a withdrawal from a traditional IRA while dividends from a tax-exempt bond fund are usually taxed like a withdrawal from a Roth IRA. That's for federal income taxes, since state income taxes are usually different.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote