Join Early Retirement Today

bonds at the bottom
Old 12-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

bonds at the bottom

With bonds most likely at the end of their winning streak, I mean, how much lower could interest rates go, I've given some thought about changing a couple of bond funds to dividend paying equity funds next week. I think even the immortal Wellesley Fund may be in NAV peril in the next year or two. Anyone else contemplating a similar move?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

been lightening up on my bond AA over the last couple of months. Interest rates have nowhere to go but up which will whack the NAV and the yields are just miserable. Been sliding some $$$ into VIG, VYM and SCHD. Loving my KMP too!

Old 12-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #3

Looks like quite few people have gone this route already. The Vanguard High Dividend Yield Fund is up about 11% for the year.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Never say never. Look at Japanese 10 year rates...

That said, I would not be wildly eager to own treasuries or high grade corporates of any significant duration right now. Sliding over to junk, I bonds, bank loans, etc., but still feel compelled to keep a little.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Weren't many saying the exact same things a year ago?

But hasn't the Fed said that they intend to try to hold interest rates at current levels for 2012 (and maybe even 2013 IIRC)?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #6

pb4uski...I was getting ready to post the same thing but you beat me to it. There was much discussion about rates remaining where they are thru 2012.....into 2013 and some were saying they would not rule out going into 2014. I'm not getting out of bond funds yet. But I may not put anymore to work in them either. Don't know.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Is anyone saying anything here that the bond market doesn't already take into account?

I'm not saying I disagree with anyone either. You want my personal opinion? Nah, it's already been discounted I'm afraid.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Weren't many saying the exact same things a year ago?
Yes, and it seems to me they were saying the exact same things 2-3 years ago. Timing this market has been pretty difficult.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm selling some muni's and moving to high yield bonds. I still need to maintain some allocation to bonds, even if interest rates eventually go up. Otherwise where else would you place funds other than stocks and cash?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post
I'm selling some muni's and moving to high yield bonds. I still need to maintain some allocation to bonds, even if interest rates eventually go up. Otherwise where else would you place funds other than stocks and cash?
There are alternatives. As an example, I use merger arbitrage funds as a low volatility investment that has limited correlation with equity markets as a stand in vs. more bonds. I know of two such mutual funds: MERFX and ARBFX.

- Will Rogers
Old 12-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
With bonds most likely at the end of their winning streak, I mean, how much lower could interest rates go
YTD return on 20+ year Treasuries (TLT) = 29.33%. Even short term bonds (e.g. 1-3 year Treasuries) trounced the S & P, and this has been a regular occurrence these past few years while the bond "experts" say rates have nowhere to go but up.

Predicting interest rate moves is clearly even more of a fool's errand than equity market predictions. Regarding Wellesley the only issue I see is it is actively managed which introduces unnecessary expenses and risk vs. an index fund or ETF no fat tails equivalent such as 70% total stock market 30% 5 year Treasuries.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #12

Everytime a bell rings, a dirty market timer gets his wings...
Old 12-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Everytime a bell rings, a dirty market timer gets his wings...
Could be. Personally, I just do not like the odds when an asset class moves to valuation extremes. I would not go to the point of shorting such a market, but my instinct is to back away cautiously.

- Will Rogers
Old 12-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Yes, market timing is difficult. However, market corrections usually take longer to happen than most people think. When even the bearish pundits have to shut up while the bulls make victory dances, that is usually the respective market top.

Here's an example about the recent housing bust. I remember seeing in 2005 an interview with the CEO of a large national house builder. The reporter asked him if his business was having any sign of slowing down. His confident reply was the following.

"People keep asking me this same question. It is the same as being asked if you beat your wife! Never have, never will."

And they proceeded to produce another stellar quarter earning. Well, we all know what happened next.

I am staying with my course: more equities and short-term cash than bonds.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

2012 will be the year the government bond market starts to correct.

I have been making this prediction for 3 years now, I am sure the 3rd time is the charm.

Of course I am seldom in doubt, but often wrong on such matters
Old 12-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post

I have been making this prediction for 3 years now, I am sure the 3rd time is the charm.

Join the club (of which I'm an officer)!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:15 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yes, and it seems to me they were saying the exact same things 2-3 years ago. Timing this market has been pretty difficult.
Quote:
Mortgage rates can't possibly get any lower and I'm not going to refinance any of our properties ever again.

And this time I really, really, really mean it.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #18

Quote:

Eventually you will be correct.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #19

I just don't see how interest rates are going to rise much at all given the unemployment rate. I can understand some tweaking of bond allocations, shortening durations, and diversifying but abandoning bonds in a major way doesn't make sense to me. Especially considering the uncertainty in Europe, Iran, Gov't gridlock, and who knows what other 2012 black swan will come along.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I just don't see how interest rates are going to rise much at all given the unemployment rate. I can understand some tweaking of bond allocations, shortening durations, and diversifying but abandoning bonds in a major way doesn't make sense to me. Especially considering the uncertainty in Europe, Iran, Gov't gridlock, and who knows what other 2012 black swan will come along.

Well that is what makes markets. At least one of us will be right next year.