Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Bonds/Clinton
Old 03-14-2006, 01:13 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And make sure you're wearing your protective headgear...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2006, 01:28 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
When you are under oath is not one of those times.
I dont see how [* * "Yes, i had sex with her..."* * *Next question, what specifically did you do* "I inserted a cigar in her..... "* ]
...* would have made the situation better.* * *

You think that's a better scenario?* *I think he was looking at definite lose (telling the truth) vs maybe not losing (take your chances at lying).* *He made the statistically wise choice.

Deny until the very end is still the best option*

I think the debate continues to this day whether he really had "sexual relations" with her, does it not?
Is foreplay only, sex?* What about just flirting?* Do backrubs count?* Someone clear this up for me.

In Pulp Fiction, that guy just rubbed the bosses's wife's feet. I loved that scene where they argued whether it was right or wrong.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:44 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
I guess you have to ask first why the president's time is being taken up with a committee asking him the question in the first place.

Its not like he was getting a hummer from a north korean agent...
It wasn't a committee... it was a deposition on a lawsuit brought by 'what's her name'... who said she was sexually harassed. He could have just said nothing, told the truth or lied.... only one is breaking the law, which he chose.

NOW, if he had settled the case like his lawyers had told him to do, it would not have happend either.

Me, I did not like him anyhow as I thought he was a con man, but at least with him there was a stalemate between the Congress and the White House so neither was spending money on their pet projects... that looks like the best way for the country.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:46 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
stalemate between the Congress and the White House so neither was spending money on their pet projects... that looks like the best way for the country.
Sounds good to me. I am hoping that the Senate goes solidly democrat this year and the house ends up on the razor edge.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:52 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
Why do people think they can compare the athelets of decades ago to those of today, steriods or no steroids.* Rules change, nutrition changes, length of seasons change, fitness training knowledge chances (improves), on and on and on.

The harm of steroids is not making current athelets no longer compariable to the old ones.* *You cant do that anyway because of other differences.* The harm is that for kids to be able to compete, they are going to have to decide between also taking them themselves to remain competitive and thus hurt their bodies, or have an unfair disadvantage because they chose not to.*
There are many records that will not be broken by today's players in baseball. They do not play as much... This is from memory, but I believe the most wins is about 505... nobody will come close in today's game... and don't count complete games.. it is hard to have more than a few today..

And then there is Wilt with an average of 50 points a game, 20 plus rebounds and 10 plus assists... or AVERAGING a triple double for a full season.. (again... all from memory so I can be off as I have not looked in many years)
Old 03-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon

I think the debate continues to this day whether he really had "sexual relations" with her, does it not?
Is foreplay only, sex?* What about just flirting?* Do backrubs count?* Someone clear this up for me.*
This one is easy... if you are married, will your wife think you are having 'sex'? If so, then you are... Clear?
Old 03-14-2006, 01:55 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
And then there is Wilt with an average of 50 points a game, 20 plus rebounds and 10 plus assists... or AVERAGING a triple double for a full season...
I didn't think that was the record he was famous for. *Those are basketball stats, right?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:29 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
10 plus assists... or AVERAGING a triple double for a full season..
Are you sure about this? I think that Oscar Robertson was the only guy to average a triple double and how could Wilt avarage 10 assists as a center? Again, basketball stats only.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #29

Even if those basketball stats were true, would that be a testament to how great some basketball players offenses were back then, or how far basketball defenses have come today? Its really besides my point. My point is there are several varables that are different today compared to 50 years ago, so you can't realistically compare statistics anyway. Sure, its fun to do just for entertainment purposes, but thats about it.

I'm a tennis player myself. In the old days, they had those wooden rackets so serves and the pace was slow. Now they have these advanced, light-weight, powerful rackets. There's just no way to compare.....
Old 03-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
Are you sure about this? I think that Oscar Robertson was the only guy to average a triple double and* how could Wilt avarage 10 assists as a* center? Again, basketball stats only.
Yep, the memory is fuzzy....

He did average 50 PPG and 25.7 RPG, but only got 2.4 assists...

Year RPG APG PPG
59-60 27 2.3 37.6
60-61 27.2 1.9 38.4
61-62 25.7 2.4 50.4
62-63 24.3 3.4 44.8
63-64 22.3 5 36.9
64-65 22.9 3.4 34.7
65-66 24.6 5.2 33.5
66-67 24.2 7.8 24.1
67-68 23.8 8.6 24.3
68-69 21.1 4.5 20.5
69-70 18.4 4.1 27.3
70-71 18.2 4.3 20.7
71-72 19.2 4 14.8
72-73 18.6 4.5 13.2
Totals 22.9 4.4 30.1
Old 03-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
Are you sure about this? I think that Oscar Robertson was the only guy to average a triple double and* how could Wilt avarage 10 assists as a* center? Again, basketball stats only.
NOPE, not sure... and I was NOT RIGHT.... But YOU ARE:

Year RPG APG PPG
60-61 10.1 9.7 30.5
61-62 12.5 11.4 30.8
62-63 10.4 9.5 28.3
63-64 9.9 11 31.4
64-65 9 11.5 30.4
65-66 7.7 11.1 31.3
66-67 6.2 10.7 30.5
67-68 6 9.7 29.2
68-69 6.4 9.8 24.7
69-70 6.1 8.1 25.3
70-71 5.7 8.2 19.4
71-72 5 7.7 17.4
72-73 4.9 7.5 15.5

Old 03-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I didn't think that was the record he was famous for. *Those are basketball stats, right?
Yes... it is another stat that he has claimed... but I think that Bill was on his way to try and break that one, but got caught
Old 03-14-2006, 03:27 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

...and the thing about Big O's record that is amazing is that no one really noticed it as a great achievement until recently when double-doubles, triple-doubles, etc were noted by current sports guys. Back in the NBA day, all anyone cared about was Wilt's scoring and Russel's defense.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #34

So what the hell does this have to do with FIRE and Money? I thought I was going to read a thread about how bonds do well under Dem leadership or some damn thing.