Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At this point I am 100% out of equities..I am about 90% intermediate bonds and bond funds with a large portion of that in individual I-Bonds that I've owned for a very long time... I have never understood this fear of bonds in this low inflation period. If one's time horizon is at least as long as the duration of the bonds then the only significant risk I see is credit risk and inflation risk which is always there..BTW I'm sleeping very well at night..perhaps ignorance is bliss...
BTW..I would welcome higher interest rates but won't try to time the market..
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
At this point I am 100% out of equities..I am about 90% intermediate bonds and bond funds with a large portion of that in individual I-Bonds that I've owned for a very long time... I have never understood this fear of bonds in this low inflation period. If one's time horizon is at least as long as the duration of the bonds then the only significant risk I see is credit risk and inflation risk which is always there..BTW I'm sleeping very well at night..perhaps ignorance is bliss...
BTW..I would welcome higher interest rates but won't try to time the market..
+1. What we often seem to forget is that bonds mature, and then you get your money back and can re-invest at the new rates. Stocks are more like the old British Consols- perpetual. If business is good, they may (or may not ) increase their dividends.

Ha
Old 04-08-2014, 03:50 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

with the long treasury bond up almost 8% this year i wouldn't say bonds are doing little.
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:41 AM   #24

Where do you see 8%? The 10-year note is 2.7% as of this morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
with the long treasury bond up almost 8% this year i wouldn't say bonds are doing little.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:39 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Where do you see 8%? The 10-year note is 2.7% as of this morning.
I think mathjak meant "up" 8%, not "at" 8%.
Looking4Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:50 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
+1. What we often seem to forget is that bonds mature, and then you get your money back and can re-invest at the new rates. Stocks are more like the old British Consols- perpetual. If business is good, they may (or may not ) increase their dividends.

Ha
This has been my basis for only buying individual bonds--mostly municipals. Based upon my reading of this Board for about 1 year, it appears that very few members of this Board (or investors in general) buy individual bonds. It appears that many have a fear of evaluating bonds but less of a fear making an individual stock purchase. I would suggest that there is a greater benefit owning individual bonds (rather than bond funds) than owning individual stocks (rather than stock funds).

People are more comfortable buying the stock of a household name than the revenue stream of say--the PA Turnpike.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post
This has been my basis for only buying individual bonds--mostly municipals. Based upon my reading of this Board for about 1 year, it appears that very few members of this Board (or investors in general) buy individual bonds. It appears that many have a fear of evaluating bonds but less of a fear making an individual stock purchase. I would suggest that there is a greater benefit owning individual bonds (rather than bond funds) than owning individual stocks (rather than stock funds).

I'm not a fan of bonds right now, but you are spot on for those who do want bonds. Bond funds are dangerous if rates begin to rise quickly and can cost a great deal of principal. At least with individual bonds you have the option of holding to maturity, but do carry the entire risk of default. As with stocks, people need to check the financial health of the entity they are buying the bond from.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
I think mathjak meant "up" 8%, not "at" 8%.
correct , total return for TLT ytd is about 8%
Old 04-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There will always be some arbitrary start point from which an asset is either up or down.

This is generally meaningless.

Ha
Old 04-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #30

Bond funds are not more dangerous than individual bonds. When rates go up both individual bonds and funds will go down.

However, over time you will get all your money back plus interest either way.

Unless you sell in the short term in which case both funds and individual bonds lose.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Bond funds are not more dangerous than individual bonds. When rates go up both individual bonds and funds will go down.

Unless you sell in the short term in which case both funds and individual bonds lose.
To me low cost bond funds have three giant advantages over individual bonds. Diversification, costs to buy or sell, and ease and cost of re-investing interest payments.

True if you buy only original issue bonds you will ordinarily incur no charge, but if you need to or want to sell, different story.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #32

I quit buying individual corporate bonds not long after I bought Enron stock..
Old 04-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
There will always be some arbitrary start point from which an asset is either up or down.

This is generally meaningless.

Ha

I think most of us track year by year starting jan 1 unless you have reason not to like you bought something 6 months in
Old 04-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Your opinion Retire is what I understand to be true. Yet this seems to be a debate that pops up occasionally here and at Bogleheads and for the life of me I don't understand why. Some steadfastly believe buying a bond over a bond fund protects you by holding to maturity, but I don't understand how it ultimately doesn't wash out in the end unless like you said someone sells early. But then again, that would also apply to the person holding individual bonds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #35

I suppose they are pointing out that at some point you will want to sell out and when you do if you do so during rising rates you might end up selling shares at a lower price than you paid..All things considered I much prefer bond funds to individual bonds..
Old 04-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
I suppose they are pointing out that at some point you will want to sell out and when you do if you do so during rising rates you might end up selling shares at a lower price than you paid..All things considered I much prefer bond funds to individual bonds..

I assume along the line of a bond ladder with varying maturity dates? I could see that maybe having some value to a high net worth person, but I wouldn't have the capital to do it correctly and have proper diversification so I have to stick to bond funds and CDs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #37

I wouldn't buy a long term bond fund for short or medium term principal withdrawals. SAME THING for individual bonds.

Buy a fund or ETF that has individual bonds in them of sufficient amounts and maturities you need. Or multiple funds/ETF's with targeted maturities.

That being said buying bonds of any kind right now pretty much locks in a pretty low return. But losing principal should not be an issue if you withdraw as planned.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think most of us track year by year starting jan 1 unless you have reason not to like you bought something 6 months in
Most may, as you say, track year by year starting Jan 1 but that's certainly a poor way to do it. I always look at multiple time frames and trends to try to get a more complete and telling picture of the situation.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #39

Quote:
buying bonds of any kind right now pretty much locks in a pretty low return. But losing principal should not be an issue if you withdraw as planned.
zactly! For preservation I still see nothing that compares to bonds..

Hogs will get slaughtered in this environment..
Old 04-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Pretty much how I see it. I'm not willing to deal with individual bonds and I see no advantage - only extra trouble and costs and lack of diversity. Have owned most of our bond funds since 200 when interest rates were much higher, drew on them when we went through market crashes. Will be holding for decades more, so I don't get concerned about short term disruptions, I just rebalance.

I think we'll have both interest rate rising scares and deflation scares over the next several years. There will be no uniform directional glide path - it will be plenty volatile even if the ultimate very long term trend is in one direction, so rebalancing will help.