Join Early Retirement Today

Bonds - What to do?
Old 05-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bonds - What to do?

Is anyone else worried about the potential Bond bubble? I've read several articles advising to reduce bond exposure to next to nil. With equities at an all time high and cash yielding an all time low, what are the alternatives?

Just curious what everyone else is thinking or doing?
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
Is anyone else worried about the potential Bond bubble? I've read several articles advising to reduce bond exposure to next to nil. With equities at an all time high and cash yielding an all time low, what are the alternatives?

The only alternative that makes any sense would be cash. Only a remote chance would take bonds and not equities down strongly.

The whole purpose of these low rates is to drive savers toward more risk.

As anyone who has ever seen a loading chute knows, it is usually smart to avoid whatever you are being driven toward.

Ha
Old 05-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The whole purpose of these low rates is to drive savers toward more risk.

As anyone who has ever seen a loading chute knows, it is usually smart to avoid whatever you are being driven toward.

Ha
So THAT'S why I have those whip marks on my back.....
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Eventually (exactly when no one knows) the Fed will stop buying bonds at which time bond prices will drop and yields will rise. Historically during times of negative real interest rates, such as we have now, precious metals have performed well. Don't fight the Fed.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

About 50% of our fixed income allocation is invested in cash, CDs, or i-bonds. About 25% is invested in intermediate bonds, investment grade or better, with a duration < 5 years. The last 25% is invested in PIMCO Total Return (only bond fund choice in DW's 401K). Hopefully Bill Gross will see us through those uncertain times.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #6

Well, what is one supposed to do. You need bonds for ballast. I would just stay in the middle of the ship with intermediate bonds.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fed implied they will keep rates low until unemployment is down to 6.5% and inflation is increasing. I would suspect a lot of people will be asleap at the wheel when bonds and bond funds see their NAV start heading down.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post

if bonds are a bubble-and equitys are at all times highs-isn't that a bubble.

cash or cd-the only out..

you can't win so stay the course. what else can you do
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #9

I have kept about 35% of the portfolio in my 401k to use the stable value fund for fixed income, the yield now is 3.2%. Anything much higher than that would worry me they are taking too much risk but this fund has performed well over the the years. In a rollover IRA I have an equal allocation to the Vanguard TIPS (which I think was a mistake) and the Intermediate Investment Grade bond fund which I'm ok with.

It's a tough situation - bonds are paying dick and poised to take a hit while equities are sky high and have to correct to some point some day. Talk about a rock and a hard place!
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #10

Not a good time to be in bonds, IMHO - neither in funds or owning bonds directly. All of my good-paying bonds are being called. I expect my bond funds to go down in NAV... I'm seriously thinking of selling the funds Monday and doing other things with the money (more risky but way more profit).
Old 05-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #11

I mentioned in another thread that I'm being pointed toward bank loans instead of bonds. I'm still unsure about it, but I haven't heard positive recommendations toward any other alternatives. :\
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Eventually (exactly when no one knows) the Fed will stop buying bonds at which time bond prices will drop and yields will rise. Historically during times of negative real interest rates, such as we have now, precious metals have performed well. Don't fight the Fed.
What I was reading today speculated that the change in value will happen very quickly, so keep in short term bonds. Even though indications are the Fed will keep rates low until 2015, that still seem close to me.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #13

I mentioned the same thing as verumchuka a month or so ago: I have the option of moving about $500,000 from stable accounts (mostly paying about 1.62%, about $120k paying about 2,25%) into Vanguard accounts - my AA is and would be 60s/40b. My thought then was to leave the bond portion in the account paying 2.25% until a better time to pay into bonds. Have about a month before I can transfer anything (post retirement)

The rates are a bit different now than what I posted last time. The ones in this post are more accurate - not exact, but close enough to give an idea The large account follows ten year treasuries, and I'm not sure how the smaller account is figured.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...egy-65556.html
Old 05-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I thought the "bond bubble" was last month's worry and we are now beyond it.

Lots of threads over on Bogleheads were started in March-April on the subject, but the recent rally to all-time highs has quieted things down a bit.

Here are some recent threads to read on the subject:
Bogleheads &bull; View topic - Vanguard: Six questions (and answers) about bonds (Links a Vanguard Q&A article which is very good)
Bogleheads &bull; View topic - A graphic on the role of bonds (Role of bonds in a portfolio)

A surprising (to me) fraction of Bogleheads have reported that they shortened their bond durations. This is remarkable from the "stay-the-course" crowd. Folks have gone to CDs, stable value funds, I-bonds, and short-term bond funds.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I have kept about 35% of the portfolio in my 401k to use the stable value fund for fixed income, the yield now is 3.2%. Anything much higher than that would worry me they are taking too much risk but this fund has performed well over the the years. In a rollover IRA I have an equal allocation to the Vanguard TIPS (which I think was a mistake) and the Intermediate Investment Grade bond fund which I'm ok with.

It's a tough situation - bonds are paying dick and poised to take a hit while equities are sky high and have to correct to some point some day. Talk about a rock and a hard place!
I'm still somewhat new to investing but my understanding is that bonds don't drop by very much whereas equities could drop by 1/3 within a matter of months. Seems like bonds are better, even now, for people who are concerned about volitility. Am I wrong? When I say bonds, i'm referring to bond funds such as total bond market funds.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I mentioned in another thread that I'm being pointed toward bank loans instead of bonds. I'm still unsure about it, but I haven't heard positive recommendations toward any other alternatives. :\
fixed termination date funds

investigate this

Has Fidelity Solved a Major Problem with Bond Mutual Funds?

https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-fund...maturity-funds

2023 version starting this month https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mu...mary/31635V109
Old 05-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Another company with similar offerings as ETF's- and at lower exp ratios (~0.24% vs 0.4%) IF you use deep disc broker to buy 'em-

ETFs | Guggenheim Investments
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Another company with similar offerings as ETF's- and at lower exp ratios (~0.24% vs 0.4%) IF you use deep disc broker to buy 'em-

ETFs | Guggenheim Investments
bulletshares(guggenheim) are corporate bonds

fidelity are
these are municpal bonds not taxable

i live in massachusetts where fidelity is so munis are also lower state tax rate and not taxable at all on federal tax
Old 05-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Bank loans have little if any interest rate risk, which is why they are suggested. The problem is that they all have substantial junk grade credit risk and the junk market has gotten stupid. I owned this stuff as the markets clawed their way out of the bust, but would not touch them now.

If you want an alternative to index bond funds, keep your durations short, your credit quality high, and make sure your funds own no agency mortgage backed securities (fannies, freddies, ginnies). The optionality embedded in gubmint mortgage bonds means that bondholders will get disastrously killed when rates rise and reported durations on these securities are effectively meaningless.

Other alternatives I have been making use of are merger abitrage funds, CDs, I bonds and plain old cash.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Bonds
Old 05-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #20

Bonds

Brewer's advice is good, although I have moved about 10% of my bond allocation through harvesting gains into Floating Rate. Despite the important risk he notes. In a credit crisis, they would be killed; if it's interest rates rising, not so much. Also have moved similar allocations into emerging bonds (Fidelity New Markets) and foreign currency funds (Templeton GIM) . Also decreased duration, with more in short-term. Finally, you could consider a Guggenheim Bullet-bond ladder. And I bonds. And cash is not trash. Your mileage may vary; and most of these incur more risk, from a traditional perspective, than vanilla Treasury bonds. Pick your poison.

I've been making these changes over the last two years, gradually. Grundlich is probably talking his book but argued recently--as he has for the last two years--that with QE, we'll be in low yields and high bond prices for a long time. I tend to agree so I've been using primarily gains to make these moves.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote