Join Early Retirement Today

Book Review - How to Retire the Cheapskate Way (Jeff Yeager)
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Book Review - How to Retire the Cheapskate Way (Jeff Yeager)

Just downloaded and read "How to Retire the Cheapskate Way: The Ultimate Cheapskates' Guide to Retirement" by Jeff Yeager.

Executive Summary:
Good read! While nothing in the book by itself is earth-shattering, Jeff puts together FIRE topics in a personal and conversational tone by relating both personal experience and the experiences of some of his 'miser advisors'. Plus, Jeff lists some very specific methods to find a 'selfish employment' gig in retirement and save big bucks on groceries.

In true cheapskate fashion, Jeff advises you to borrow his book from a library- But I would recommend this book as an outright purchase.

Per ER.org rules, you may PM or reply to me directly for my full review of the book.
ejw93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi ejw93 - thanks for the review. It was a fun book to write and I'm very proud of it.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
Ultimate Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

I also just read it and agree--good info and a fun read--nice to see you on the forum, Jeff!
sparkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Cheapskate View Post
Hi ejw93 - thanks for the review. It was a fun book to write and I'm very proud of it.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
Jeff -

Happy to write the review- Enjoyed the book thoroughly!

Here is the link to the full review if you have not found it yet:

Book Report: How to Retire the Cheapskate Way | GubMints
ejw93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks sparkee and (again) ejw93. I'm hoping things settle down for me soon, and I'll be able to spend more time around here again. As I recall, someone needs to keep an eye on TromboneAl. ;-)

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
Old 02-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hi there Jeff,

Long time no post! How are the bamboo shoots doing in your back yard? I have had that in some Oriental dishes, but forgot to ask how you had that, last time you were here.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey - NW-Bound. Thanks for asking, but they're doing WAAAAAAY too well. Really taking over the place, even though I eat pretty much nothing but bamboo shoot between May 1 and June 10 every year! You can see just some of the cheapskate's bamboo thicket in this picture, growing next to my beloved "Gomer (the compost) Pile."
Old 02-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yes, that's surely a lot of bamboos. Sadly, those are not shoots, and no longer edible. You did not eat them fast enough. But those mature stalks will be useful for something else, I am sure.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My DH and I just borrowed the Cheapskate Next Door and the Retirement book from our library (borrowed instead of purchased, much to your publishers' chagrin, Jeff) and really enjoy them.

One tip that hadn't occurred to me before was in the college savings part in the Cheapskate Next Door. It suggested that the cheapskate college student look for a relative living near the college where they wanted to attend, and gave me a good idea about our own plan, which is to find someone to stay in a small (yet to be built) cottage on our property. We live near a pretty good college, and you've given me an idea to ask my cousins with teenage kids if one of theirs might like a rent-free place for a year or so of college.

Thanks for that good tip, and many others in the books!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

read the book at barnes and noble (i'm a cheapskate). liked it and glad to see there are so many people in the book like me
LA Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
My DH and I just borrowed the Cheapskate Next Door and the Retirement book from our library (borrowed instead of purchased, much to your publishers' chagrin, Jeff) and really enjoy them.

One tip that hadn't occurred to me before was in the college savings part in the Cheapskate Next Door. It suggested that the cheapskate college student look for a relative living near the college where they wanted to attend, and gave me a good idea about our own plan, which is to find someone to stay in a small (yet to be built) cottage on our property. We live near a pretty good college, and you've given me an idea to ask my cousins with teenage kids if one of theirs might like a rent-free place for a year or so of college.

Thanks for that good tip, and many others in the books!
Thanks Sarah in SC, glad you enjoyed them. Yes it’s pretty ironic, as I think I pointed out in “Cheapskate Next Door”, that the average college student with student loans graduates after four years with about $27,000 in student loan debt, which is almost exactly the average cost of four years of room and board at a public university. So, arguably, if they chose to live with their parents or a willing relative during college (assuming that’s an option) – as I and many of my generation did – they’d graduate debt free. But fewer and fewer college students choose that option these days, in large part because living with mom and dad when you’re in college is so uncool. Instead, they go away to school, rack up all that debt, and once they graduate they’re in such dire financial straits then they move back home with mom and dad. Now, in my day, living with mom and dad after you graduated was uncool.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager