Join Early Retirement Today
Bookkeeping Savings (Discount), advice requested
Old 10-09-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Bookkeeping Savings (Discount), advice requested

This is a new one to me. Had an expensive filling done at the dentist and got a 3% discount for “bookkeeping savings” because I paid by credit card. I always pay with a CC there but never got a discount for less expensive cleaning and x-rays. Had a couple of expensive crowns done while I was still w*rking but got no discount then.

Can’t help wondering if the discount is really because I don’t have dental insurance and they know I am retired. There were two people in the waiting room with “society” written all over them, I even recognized the name of one of them, he was drenched in tasteful gold accessories, she had a small shopping bag from a very upscale store. My retiree-casual attire looked shabby next to them.

Anyone ever hear of that discount? Should I dress down next time?

CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
My dentist gives me 10% for crowns, root canals, and such, for paying in cash (no dental insurance here, either). I pay on my way out of the office because I hate getting billed for dental work.

He told me frankly that the discount is because I don't have insurance. He lists it as "professional discount" or some such thing. No discount for cleaning. He knows I am not retired, but he also knows (from looking at me and talking to me) that I am older, not rich, and probably saving for retirement.

My dentist has a mostly middle class clientele. I haven't seen any of the rich and famous there, but few seem to be charity cases or indigent. Perhaps a few more of the latter since Katrina, but that is to be expected and they probably used to be middle class. I have been his patient since the month he graduated from dental school, back in 1999.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I think mine offers a 5-10% discount for those without insurance and paying cash/credit. They aren't in network for any insurance, but they courtesy file for me since my family and I have been patients there for 20+ years since the founder started the practice. It is a boutique-y dentist in a rather affluent part of town that focuses on cosmetic dentistry these days. It's popular enough that they have to look out 4-6 months to reschedule your appointment if you need to miss it.
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (4, 10, and 11).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Thanks, Fuego and W2R, that gives me some perspective. I was tempted to post in the "What did you buy today" thread that I invested in a state-of-the-art filling. I've been going to this dentist for about five years and it's the first time I'm paying full freight for dentistry and still think it's worth it. It's one of many places I could down scale my budget, if needed.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I've never received a discount at my dentist's office. I've always had insurance and maybe that's the reason. I did ask once if I paid in cash (the portion my insurance doesn't pay), would that qualify a discount for my account...they said no.

However, one day when a lady was paying her bill, the receptionist said, "That includes your senior citizen's discount." I asked if I could get one as well.

She said, " have to be 65 and you have a long way to go." I didn't know if I should feel flattered or sad.
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote