Join Early Retirement Today
Books, DVS, etc?
Old 07-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Send a message via AIM to jnojr Send a message via Yahoo to jnojr
Books, DVS, etc?

What are some books or other educational items you guys swear by?

For example, I steer people to The Coming Generational Storm by Kotlikoff constantly.

Basically, anything that encourages savings and investment, educational stuff about basic economics (that's more readable than a textbook ), anything that would be good for young teens/preteens to encourage them to develop good money habits, etc.

jnojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

I liked these
Old 07-29-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
I liked these

The Wall Street Journal Guide to Planning Your Financial Future *
The Wealthy Barber *
Richest man in Babylon *
The Millionaire Next Door *
The Intelligent Asset Allocator
Frank Armstrong's Investment Strategies
Consumer Reports Money Book *
Rich Dad Poor Dad *

Everyone's money book
Goodman, Jordan Elliot
How to retire early and live well on less than a million dollars
Bob Clyatt's "Live More, Work Less,"

Cashing in on the American dream : how to retire at 35

Get a life

Retire on less than you think : the New York times guide to planning your financial future

rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
Send a message via AIM to jnojr Send a message via Yahoo to jnojr

But... Rich Dad, Poor Dad Robert Kiyosaki is a fraud. He's been thoroughly discredited. I read RDPD a couple of years ago, and throughout it I had this sense of disquiet. There was just something wrong with what he said and how he said it. I found out a little more, and let's say I'm safe from the Kiyosaki Kool-Aid for all time

Oh, and I happen to have The Richest Man in Babylon sitting on my nightstand right now, next in line after I finish Heinlein's The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress
jnojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:01 AM   #4
The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing. Easy to read & comprehensive.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need--Andrew Tobias

Your Money or Your Life--Not a great investing book, but it helped me understand where and I why I was spending my money.

Millionaire Next Door
"...I'm the kind of guy who if he can't have too much of a thing doesn't want any at all."
GatorBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I second the recommendation for Your Money or Your Life, by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin. As GatorBuzz says, it is weak on investment advice, but excellent on LBYM as a route to FIRE.

For investing, I like Eight Steps to Seven Figures: The Investment Strategies of Everyday Millionaires and How You Can Become Wealthy Too, by Charles Carlson.
"If at any times we must deal in extremes, then we prefer the quiet, good-natured hypocrite to the implacable, turbulent zealot of any kind. In plain terms, we are not so fond of any set of notions, as to think them more important than the peace of society". John Toland, The Description of Epsom (1711)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:34 PM   #7
I also second Rich Dad Poor Dad. Regardless of whether people think the guy is a fraud or not, the book serves a very good purpose for encouraging people to get money to work for them instead of working for money... and that is fundamentally important to FIRE.

If you're of the "set it away and don't think about it" mentality, then Automatic Millionaire is probably a good fit.
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe
Rich Dad Poor Dad made us stop and examine what we were doing with our money and how we spent it. I don't like his other books but the first one really did give us a "kick in the pants" that we needed.

Buckets of Money by Ray Lucia gave me a confort level that allowed me to pull the trigger and actually retire in 3 days. Ray has a new one out called Ready, Set, Retired that I am looking forward to reading.
Ydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Dicken's "David Copperfield"

CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote