Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
Here's the study that CL was referring too...I remember hearing about this study as well a few months ago and it got me worried about my SIL who can polish off a bottle of wine all by herself in one evening. She probably drinks about 2 to 3 bottles of wine a week

Alcohol increases risk of cancer for women: Study
Guess we all are going to die. Just suppose when is the question..Kinda like how long our should you save for retirement ...
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Here's the study that CL was referring too...I remember hearing about this study as well a few months ago and it got me worried about my SIL who can polish off a bottle of wine all by herself in one evening. She probably drinks about 2 to 3 bottles of wine a week

Thanks for finding that Calgary Girl...I remembered a doctor coming on the Today show summarizing that report, and her recommendation was basically what I said earlier...if you enjoy it, drink moderately. If you don't enjoy it, than don't drink...as there may be benefits & risks both ways...

For me, I don't have any family history of breast, liver or rectal cancer but I do have a strong history of cardiac disease on both my mom & dad's sides...so I guess for me the benefit may outweigh the risk.

But in the end, who really knows...
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:30 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Burp...
Old 08-29-2009, 11:00 PM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yeah I understand your point, it can be a PITA. However I keep the booze separate. To me it's a discretionary expense that I can eliminate if I had to in a worst case scenario.
I never thought about it that way... But I figure that there are plenty of other things that would have to go in a worse case scenario, e.g. organic food, gourmet food, booze, snacks, and candies because they are all discretionary expenses. So I would have to track them too, which would be more that I bargained for. So when I simulate a worse case scenario, I just reduce my monthly grocery bill from $600 to $400. I figure that, on $400 a month for 2 people, there isn't going to be a lot of superfluous items left in the budget...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:13 AM   #105

Been trying to kill a 5 gallon keg of homebrew for about a month. It's almost gone. Spent $20 on the ingredients. So my answer is $20 a month when I have homebrew.

In non-homebrew times, the monthly regimen is 2 cases of Becks beer in bottles, plus occasional pints of various beer at restaurants.

2 cases of Becks = $50. Occasional pints = $20. total = $70 per month.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:00 AM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

This would be a good thread for a poll.

My answer is ZERO.

I'm clean living I do not drink smoke or do any drugs at all. I'm not a recovering addict either it's just something that has never been part of my life.

Jim
summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:42 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
This made me laugh, W2R, because I can't remember the last bottle of wine we actually finished at our house (DH does not drink and after we open a bottle for company, I forget it's been opened until at least a week or two later). So we cook with it to use it up--ergo, a lot of my best culinary efforts "taste like wine."
DW has a hand towel in the kitchen that says:

I cook with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food.
Steve

I think it is an old W C Fields line?
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:00 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I never thought about it that way... But I figure that there are plenty of other things that would have to go in a worse case scenario, e.g. organic food, gourmet food, booze, snacks, and candies because they are all discretionary expenses. So I would have to track them too, which would be more that I bargained for. So when I simulate a worse case scenario, I just reduce my monthly grocery bill from $600 to $400. I figure that, on $400 a month for 2 people, there isn't going to be a lot of superfluous items left in the budget...
FIREdreamer, you could run an experiment for a month or two...try spending only $400 / mo for groceries and see what changes have to be made to get there. I find it better to know ahead of time what sacrifices will need to be made if circumstances warrant.
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Whoa! You're going for the high dollar stuff. What are you buying - Chianti Reserve from Italy?!?

We find a lot of good red at $10-12. $18 for us is a splurge. More than that - it had better be really good.

Of course there are a lot of folks on this forum who think our "normal" $10-$12 red wine is way overpriced.

Audrey
I buy mostly Syrahs from Andrew Murray (my only wine club membership) in the Buellton CA area, along with an occasional nice cab from Sonoma (Sbragia, Stryker,Lambert Bridge) when tasting.

This is one of my few splurges. It mainly developed after I retired and started going on more wine tasting trips. I have gone further a few times and had a friend pick up some "high end" wines from a Paris wine shop just to experiment. Very interesting. Smooth, smooth, smooth. Worth the price as an experience, but probably not as wine.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #110

i've upped my alcohol intake a bit these last few months....so it probably looks like this:

$30-40 each monday (monday nite football with buddies at gentleman's club...usually buy them some drinks)

$6-9 3-4x/month (weekday after work sometimes...same bar)

$20 bottle of bacardi every 2 months

I'd guess I've spent 200 in the last month, but I AVERAGE about 40-50
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #111

I'm going to take the 5th
If someone wants to share one, I'll consider that too !!!
Steve
Old 08-30-2009, 12:20 PM   #112

I'm mostly just kidding around about drinking. I never was one to drink.
The whole time my kid was growing up there was never alcohol in our home. We went on a school band trip to Ireland during my son's last couple years in high school. St. Patrick's day parade (read party time in Ireland) no less. There were as many adults as kids on that trip. Most of the adults, including the Band Director said, you got to try Guinness and some other Irish brews while here. No one goes to Ireland with out visiting a couple pubs. Needless to say, I indulged.
Came back home and didn't drink a drop for several more years after that. Then St Patty's came around and there was a celebration with a parade in the city I work in. I thought, how about reminiscing the Ireland trip and go see if they are serving Guinness. Well, I went and they did serve . Had a good time. Now I am enjoying the success of getting my kid 3/4 of the way through college, about to retire (I hope) and feeling like I can relax a little and enjoy a brew or 3. I like trying beer from all over the world. Kind of adds something to the enjoyment of drinking a few. I'll get something different just about every time I buy.
Steve
Old 08-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

I've found a couple of recipes that use Guinness that I can't wait to try when the weather cools down a bit - an onion soup from Michael Chiarello Guinness and Onion Soup with Irish Cheddar Crouton Recipe and an Irish lamb stew that is in one of my crock pot cookbooks. MMMMmmmmmmm!

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #114

We average ~$120/mo on beer and wine. Not dining out enough to count that. Grocery bill runs around ~$1000/mo for the 4 of us.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I've found a couple of recipes that use Guinness that I can't wait to try when the weather cools down a bit - an onion soup from Michael Chiarello Guinness and Onion Soup with Irish Cheddar Crouton Recipe and an Irish lamb stew that is in one of my crock pot cookbooks. MMMMmmmmmmm!

Audrey
Sounds really good.
If I notice I'm missing a few bottles, the DW is usually the culprit. She cooks with it pretty often on the week ends. Beer really does cook down and add a lot of flavor to some dishes.
Steve
Old 08-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #116
Dryer sheet aficionado

Monthly: 1.75 litre Absolut ($30+), 1 litre Kahlua ($30), 12 bottles Guinness Extra Stout ($20), plus 2 cases Miller Lite for my daughters and their friends ($40). $120. I rarely drink out, and eat all organic food, smoothies, and supplements. I make and consume one quart of plain, non-fat organic Greek yogurt per day and that gives me the gut of a wild dog. Whatever comes in, goes back out without festering. Apologies if that sounds gross. I feel good, especially after 5.
Zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Sounds really good.
If I notice I'm missing a few bottles, the DW is usually the culprit. She cooks with it pretty often on the week ends. Beer really does cook down and add a lot of flavor to some dishes.
Steve
You've heard of Borracho Beans (Frijoles Borrachos), right? There is a reason they call them borrachos (drunk). I'm not sure if they use Negra Modelo, or Corona, or Dos Equis. Personally I would use the Negra.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #118

When we lived in CA, we got two bottles a month of mostly small vineyard wines shipped to the house. We also belonged to a wine tasting group. I keep in touch to this day with a couple we met this way. Whenever I get out of state, like Maryland or Virginia, I am like a kid in a candy store shopping for unusual wines. Much cheaper than in PA, too.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Burp...
Ditto. I enjoy a drink now and then. (More now than then.) I have no idea how much I spend on alcohol. When it gets low, I buy more.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
I make and consume one quart of plain, non-fat organic Greek yogurt per day ...
Thanks for reminding me; I need some live yogurt cultures for my yogurt-maker.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote