Join Early Retirement Today

Re: borrowing from ira
Old 02-27-2007, 08:34 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Well, what kind of car is it?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2007, 12:51 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

a 350z with under 4k miles & about $9k less than new. a 2005 which was last year they painted'm yellow. just now back from local dealer. test drove the 2007. problem is i didn't fall in love with it. don't know if it is a good roadtripping car. very little storage space and not very comfortable cockpit. also top is not insulated so a little noisy inside. sure do love the lines of that car though.

so then i went to look at a z4 which is about $50k new or $45k used (i like the ones with the bigger engines because i'm a gas hog at red lights--cheap thrills.) but it's kind of tight inside. not much arm room.

now i might be back at the new beemer 335 hardtop convertible due in april. only it's $55k and i might just kick myself in the ass if i spend that kind of money on a car.

pretty much my only other option is a mustang gt vertible which is a comfortable car, fast like i like'm and at a good price but it's american and, sad to say, i'm so sick of visiting the service center just because of that.

i think the only car that isn't a compromise is the bentley continental (only two of them passed me today on the way to the cheapo bmw dealer) but that $180k price tag was a part of someone else's inheritance, not mine.

gotta make decision soon because lease is soon expired. maybe i'll put off decision by leaving for thailand for a few months when lease expires and see how i take to riding on the back of elephants. they don't have to be fast off red lights; they just crush the competition.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

And after you come back a scooter might seem speedy.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
And after you come back a scooter might seem speedy.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:10 PM   #45

and that's the er plan. a few years of road trips, parking overnight at motel 6's in an overly fast, too luxurious for me 335 vertible while i still got good reflexes and enjoy using them, followed by a few years on the cheap racing elephants throughout southeast asia and then i'm gonna hoist that scooter onto the boat deck of a 7-knot trawler, ending life in the slow lane, just enjoying the view going by.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:33 AM   #46

Interesting info. I'm also in a temporary cash flow crunch and have been debating whether to go with credit or IRA loan rollover. Credit seems to be a lot less hassle, less pitfalls for a theoretical minimum expense of 2 months' interest.

I also have a 401(k) that I thought I could take a loan from, but the initial answer is "no", and although Martha indicated I might be able to there is still the hassle of finding out for sure and then getting the trustee to believe it, and then there's the $100 loan fee.

So, credit it is. (Actually there may be another option, but there are a few "ifs" and it's too much to explain. In short it's my "accounts receivable".)

Tags
ira