Join Early Retirement Today

Borrowing money during retirement.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:25 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Borrowing money during retirement.

My wife and I will need money next year to build a small cabin on our country property. *I'd like to get some advice concerning borrowing from a lender versus borrowing from my nest egg.

I'm lothe to withdraw money from our IRA, because that's *tax deferred money that's getting pretty good returns even in our present bear market. *:-/

It seems that it would be better to borrow the money from a lender, if the interest rate is lower than my investment interest gains. *

I'll have no problems paying off the loan. * Any suggestions?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Borrowing money during retirement.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:43 PM   #2

I am totally against Borrowing money. With that said are all your assets in IRA accounts? If so, I probably go with some kind of loan against your house.

I assume you own a house, and you could get a home equity loan to finance the contruction of this cabin. But let me ask you this. are you planning on selling your house to move to the cabin when it's complete? If yes, I would probably sell the house first. Then rent and build and move into the cabin when ready.

If you are thinking of borrowing to finance a cabin even after it's built , this is risky thinking if you are retired. I pay cash for everything otherwise I don't buy it. People that borrow are usually on another forum called

"I owe I owe it's off to work I go"
Old 09-11-2003, 06:05 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Actually, I own my home and a rental property. A home equity loan might be the ticket. I'd eventually like to sell both properties and move to the country but my lovely marriage partner isn't quite ready to make that commitment just yet. We have to stay put for a little while anyway to take care of elderly parents.:P

8)The cabin will be primarily a weekend home. Since I'll be doing a lot of the work myself, most of my building expenses will be for materials.

I, like you, prefer to pay cash for everything. I would rather wait and pay as we go, but in this instance, we want to begin enjoying our retirement ASAP.