Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
I thought COBRA coverage is usually 18 months with a possibility of extending it for another 18 months. Your former employer is generous to continue giving healthcare coverage to its former employers and spouse for an indefinite period.
The bankruptcy judge was generous in this case. Former employer declared bankruptcy specifically to get out from under retiree healthcare and pension expenses. (I can't tell you how bad that feels after w*rking there for 26 years and being 3rd generation there.) Judge made this part of the deal. I expect it will be a matter of time before they stop offering healthcare coverage to employees and then the retirees will be screwed - again!

Felix

Felix Mulier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Health Insurers Warn on Premiums - Yahoo! Finance

Health insurers are privately warning brokers that premiums for many individuals and small businesses could increase sharply next year because of the health-care overhaul law, with the nation's biggest firm projecting that rates could more than double for some consumers buying their own plans.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
Perhaps you can share a comment or snippet so the rest of us don't have to click to find out what's in the link.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

If you dig in deeper, you'll find that the plans with the steepest increase are those individual insurance plans that looked cheap, but didn't actually cover all that much. (Mega-Life, I'm looking at you. Junk like 2,500 cap on hospitalization, doctor's fees while in hospital not covered, 80% effective copays, sold to college students and young singles as insurance.)

There are minimum standards for coverage that can be sold as insurance going into effect. Glorified discount card plans will have to be up front about being just a discount card, or will have to actually provide a minimum standard of coverage.

Those of us who already have some sane level of actual health insurance won't see much of a rate change, just the usual hikes. In many states you can go to the state insurance commissioners site, and look at the filings for proposed rate changes and the affected policies well in advance. (The required lead time for notifying the state officials varies from state to state.)
Old 03-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
If you dig in deeper, you'll find that the plans with the steepest increase are those individual insurance plans that looked cheap, but didn't actually cover all that much........
Right. This was mentioned in the recent Time magazine article on health care. Some of the people that got wiped out had low yearly / lifetime maximums.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Those of us who already have some sane level of actual health insurance won't see much of a rate change, just the usual hikes. In many states you can go to the state insurance commissioners site, and look at the filings for proposed rate changes and the affected policies well in advance. (The required lead time for notifying the state officials varies from state to state.)
One factor that will result in premium changes is the new limit on age based differentials. The new maximum is 3X between the lowest and highest rates. My current policy the difference is 10X.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Perhaps you can share a comment or snippet so the rest of us don't have to click to find out what's in the link.
I extracted the lead line. I did not earlier because it is a short article, and it is better if one reads the article and decide himself/herself whether the writer has any agenda.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
One factor that will result in premium changes is the new limit on age based differentials. The new maximum is 3X between the lowest and highest rates. My current policy the difference is 10X.

the health differential is the biggest reason people below 55 are seeing big rate increases
there are other factors as well but this is the biggest
Old 03-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I have a feeling I am going to get screwed in this whole health care deal in 2014. I currently have a HDHI plan that has a $5.950 stacked deductible ($5,950 for me and for DW so our maximum out-of-pocket cost is $11,900). We currently pay about $630 a month. We are both healthy and have had the plan for 18 months and have yet to make a claim.

I got a letter from my provider the other day indicating that deductibles for 2014 will be limited to $2,000 for an individual and $4,000 for a family.

So it seems like the promise of "if you’ve got health insurance, you like your doctors, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Nobody is talking about taking that away from you" was a lie because I like my HDHI plan and would like to keep it. Second, given deductibles are less than half what they were before it seems all but inevitable that my premiums will increase, and probably dramatically increase.

I guess I'll wait and see and structure my income in 2014 to take advantage of any subsidies to mitigate the effect of the increase.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I have a feeling I am going to get screwed in this whole health care deal in 2014. I currently have a HDHI plan that has a $5.950 stacked deductible ($5,950 for me and for DW so our maximum out-of-pocket cost is $11,900). We currently pay about $630 a month.

I got a letter from my provider the other day indicating that deductibles for 2014 will be limited to $2,000 for an individual and $4,000 for a family.

So it seems like the promise of "if you’ve got health insurance, you like your doctors, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Nobody is talking about taking that away from you" was a lie because I like my HDHI plan and would like to keep it. Second, given deductibles are less than half what they were before it seems all but inevitable that my premiums will increase, and probably dramatically increase.

Wait and see I guess and structure my income in 2014 to take advantage of any subsidies to mitigate the effect of the increase.

i thought older plans were gradfathered. the 2000/4000 is the minimum with obamacare
Old 03-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i thought older plans were gradfathered. the 2000/4000 is the minimum with obamacare
I didn't sound that way in the letter I received. I hope you are right and they glossed over it in the letter.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I have a feeling I am going to get screwed in this whole health care deal in 2014. I currently have a HDHI plan that has a $5.950 stacked deductible ($5,950 for me and for DW so our maximum out-of-pocket cost is $11,900). We currently pay about $630 a month. We are both healthy and have had the plan for 18 months and have yet to make a claim.

I guess I'll wait and see and structure my income in 2014 to take advantage of any subsidies to mitigate the effect of the increase.
You are assuming a large premium increase along with a reduced deductible. That might not be the case. Many things can happen with policies that already have employer subsidies, but high deductible policies are eligible under the new guidelines, and I suspect policies that are not underwritten that cover middle age individuals are not going to increase in price.

Quote:
This is new. Do you have a source you can link to?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
As I understand it, under ACA the deductible limits for employer-sponsored plans are $2000/$4000 according to Sec 1302c2Ai

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-11...111publ148.htm

However for individual plans it seems deductibles (self/family) could range up to $5,000/$10,00 OOP max (deductibles + co-pays) according to Sec 1302 c1A (which references IRS Code 223c2A

26 USC § 223 - Health savings accounts | Title 26 - Internal Revenue Code | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

But we'll see when final reg's are issued as we near the Oct '13 opening date for the HI Exchanges.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #34

The rule clarification published 2/25 (see here http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013...2013-04084.pdf ) has limits of $6250/12500 for individual and large group policies. The smaller limits of $2k/4k are for small group plans and still subject to change.

I'll wait until I see actual policy and premium information on the exchanges before drawing any conclusions.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The rule clarification published 2/25 (see here http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013...2013-04084.pdf ) has limits of $6250/12500 for individual and large group policies. The smaller limits of $2k/4k are for small group plans and still subject to change.

I'll wait until I see actual policy and premium information on the exchanges before drawing any conclusions.
Thanks for the link. Page 12847 states the $6250/$12,500 figures for 2014 total out-of-pocket expenditures under HD individual plans ("For illustrative purposes only"). I did not see figures for max deductible limits for individual (e.g. non HSA-eligible) plans. The $2/$4k deductible limit for small group plans is mentioned on same page but without a stated OOP max. Confusing

Amazing to me how many ACA details, even those apparently written in the actual law, are being 'clarified' by HHS. We really do need to wait and see how this all plays out.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Amazing to me how many ACA details, even those apparently written in the actual law, are being 'clarified' by HHS. We really do need to wait and see how this all plays out.
I'm not waiting. I'm plugged into updates from Home | HealthCare.gov

As far as HHS clarifying the law, I'm not surprised. Just as in a company, someone (like the the CEO) declares the "what" we're going to do; the "how" we get there is left to the implementation team (in this case HHS).

To survive at megacorp for as long as I did, I learned that when somebody declared a new path, I tried to get ahead of the curve, learn as much as I could, and position myself to get whatever I could out of it as quickly as possible.

You may want to start looking at the "Health Insurance Marketplace" to see what options will be available to you.
From About the Health Insurance Marketplace | HealthCare.gov
Quote:
When key parts of the health care law take effect in 2014, there’ll be a new way to get health insurance: the Health Insurance Marketplace. The Marketplace is designed to help you find health insurance that fits your budget, with less hassle.

Every health insurance plan in the new Marketplace will offer comprehensive coverage, from doctors to medications to hospital visits. You can compare all your insurance options based on price, benefits, quality, and other features that may be important to you, in plain language that makes sense.
There will be a Federal "Exchange" and some (not all) states will have Exchanges as well. I'm hoping for the best.

Felix

Felix Mulier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

My understanding of how the HI subsidy in the PPACA works is plans have to be "Qualified", and HDHP plans would not be considered "Qualified".

Under the PPACA I will qualify for a subsidy and since my cost is 9.5% of my Modified Adjusted Gross Income Uncle Sam picks up the rest of the cost regardless of how much it is.

The "Silver" plan is a 70% actuarial plan. According the Kaiser site estimate my maximum annual out of pocket cost would be $4167 including premiums.

I too currently have an HDHP with a $5000 deductible. The silver plan 70% I believe is on the first dollar of cost minus any co-pay.

At the moment it looks to be a financial no-brainer for me to buy a Qualified plan through an exchange this fall, take advantage of the subsidy and enjoy lower overall annual HI costs than I am paying now, $447 monthly premium plus up to $5K (deductible) if I use any health care services.

If I am wrong I would appreciate becoming more informed.

Tags
obamacare