Join Early Retirement Today
Brewer & other bond experts?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Brewer & other bond experts?

A few years ago our local phone company, GTE Hawaiian Tel, became a Verizon clone. Now it's being sold again to the Carlyle group as "Hawaiian Telcom", which is financing the purchase with junk bonds. Here's the press release:

"Hawaiian Telcom Communications, which will be the state's dominant phone company after parent Carlyle Group completes its purchase of Verizon Hawaii, is selling $550 million in junk bonds to fund the acquisition.
The notes, with due dates in 2013, will be sold to investors outside the United States, and proceeds will pay for Carlyle's purchase and related expenses, Hawaiian Telcom said yesterday.

The notes will be priced April 26, according to Bloomberg News, which cited a person familiar with the transaction.

The notes have not yet been rated by Moody's Investor's Service or Standard & Poor's, Bloomberg said, though they will have high-yield, high-risk investment ratings.

Carlyle and Verizon announced Friday they had amended terms of the deal to comply with restrictions mandated by the state Public Utilities Commission.

The commission still must sign off on the amended terms. The deal is expected to close early next month."

My question-- what's the significance of not making this available to U.S. investors? How bad do the junk bonds have to be before they won't be touched by American investors? I doubt that the bond payments can be handled without rate increases on the current cash flow... guess I'd better pay more attention to that cell phone thread.

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Brewer & other bond experts?
Old 04-14-2005, 10:12 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am no bond expert but I think any time a company offers bonds to the US market they pretty much have to be investment quality (i.e. everything above S&P BBB or Moody's Baa) to generate any interest (tough sell b/c of no track record of company) otherwise it' a waste of time/money for the company. Don't know if that helps answer your question as to why they aren't available in the US.

"These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them"
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 03:44 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Its not a matter of how bad the credit of the issuer is. Plenty of extremely weak borrowers offer bonds in the US market. However, you might choose to sell bonds outside the US in order to access a wider swath of the investment world and hopefully get a lower cost of funds. The US marrkeets have been running away from any bonds with significant credit risk lately, so it might be easier to get a reasonable price elsewhere.
"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:32 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The notes, with due dates in 2013, will be sold to investors outside the United States

Where's the US exclusion?
FIRE'd since 2005
tryan is offline   Reply With Quote