Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Or if they are British, and indeed whether they even exist as living entities.
I wondered that too. I signed the petition, which is open to UK citizens and residents. However, there was no check performed to see whether I am who I say I am, which rather negates the purpose of the whole exercise, in my opinion. Actually, it leads me to thinking that the whole petition system is a far less than serious undertaking, other than to allow folk to let off steam and help them to think they made a difference.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2016, 06:38 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
ust keep voting until they get the result they want.
In the few instances where the dominant political party in Illinois fails to obtain the desired results in an election, it's automatically a "do-over." Sounds like the folks in the UK are thinking the same way.......
Old 06-25-2016, 06:58 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

There are some saying that the UK should stay in the EU and attempt to change it, rather than just getting out. But David Cameron already went to Brussels to get some reforms, and he was given a humiliating "zilch." So, if a club won't be reformed, it may be best to part ways amicably.

If a re-vote is scheduled, you can bet those favoring "stay", both in the UK and elsewhere, will do everything possible to twist the knife and demonstrate just how "awful" being outside of the EU can be--"make them feel the pain" in hopes for a better result. Why go through that? The EU has had decades to reform, and there's apparently no effective mechanism to get that to happen. It seems the best course for the UK would be to press on with cleaning up the glass and moving ahead, fully in charge of their own affairs, setting policies consistent with their culture, their best interests, and the desires of their population. You know--like a nation.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I suspect it would reclaim the losses. I do not expect any country to actually leave the EU. There may be additional concessions, but never leaving. The EU is here to stay. No country will go broke, not even Greece.

The vote was non-binding. If Brexit actually happens, it would be like TX leaving the US.
I disagree. I think this is it for the EU. The cracks have been widening for a few years now. Many of the Northern European nations have been voicing their discontent with the increasing burdens being placed on their citizens and resources by the dictators in Brussels. These are nations that have been at war off and on with each other for centuries. It was just a matter of time before the treaty dissovled.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I find the made-up words amusing. Since Brexit, we have also learned about the potential for Frexit, Nexit, Dexit, Auxit, and Grexit (again).

It seems quite cutesy, in a European sort of a way

I'd add that there's different levels of leaving the EU. A Grexit would only be from the Eurozone, not the EU. The U.K. was never a member of the Eurozone. Their vote was to leave the EU.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out with other EU countries and most importantly, if they decide to "leave," does that mean the Eurozone or the EU.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
I disagree. I think this is it for the EU. The cracks have been widening for a few years now. Many of the Northern European nations have been voicing their discontent with the increasing burdens being placed on their citizens and resources by the dictators in Brussels. These are nations that have been at war off and on with each other for centuries. It was just a matter of time before the treaty dissovled.

Europe has some hard issues facing them. Blaming the EU is easy. I'm skeptical that their problems will be solved by leaving/breaking-up the EU.

Personally, I feel for the UK. I think a lot of their citizens are going to have a harder time going forward. I also wouldn't be surprised if Scotland, and maybe Northern Ireland, end up leaving the UK. This is definitely going to take some time to work through.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:43 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by languagefan View Post
After Brexit Vote, Britain Googles 'What Is The EU?' : All Tech Considered : NPR
While I'd certainly expect Europeans (or those with close European roots) to have a better understanding of this (and it should be expected of anyone who voted - but that might be optimistic), I'd imagine most US citizens (including myself) get confused over being in the EU, and having the Euro as their currency. But (not googling it), I'm pretty sure they are very different things?

-ERD50
Old 06-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Why should a petition of 2 million people override the 17 million that voted to leave? Are we to believe that all of those 2 million on the petition are people that originally voted no and have since had regrets, or are they just a bunch of unhappy no voters muddying the waters?
Perhaps they are 2 million ignoramuses who didn't think to google "What is the EU" or "What does Brexit mean" until after the polls had closed and they had already voted (one way or the other) and had buyer's remorse.

Besides, the petition isn't to override the vote, but to have another vote. Happens all the time .... a decision is made, a petition to reconsider is submitted, the decision is then affirmed or overridden with another vote.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Yes it would.

From Brexit to Texit? Renewed calls for Texas secession after EU vote - CBS News

https://www.rt.com/usa/348303-brexit...xas-secession/

Quote from the article, "The Lone Star State was the 28th to join the Union in 1845, following nine years of being an independent republic. And based on its present day $1.6 trillion economy, if it did become a separate nation, it would be among the 10 top economies in the world, Miller says."
I see neither of those stories mentions that states cannot secede from the US. There was that whole American Civil War thing remember.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
While I'd certainly expect Europeans (or those with close European roots) to have a better understanding of this (and it should be expected of anyone who voted - but that might be optimistic), I'd imagine most US citizens (including myself) get confused over being in the EU, and having the Euro as their currency. But (not googling it), I'm pretty sure they are very different things?

-ERD50

They are very different. One is being part of a European community (EU) and the other is the Eurozone.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:46 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
Europe has some hard issues facing them. Blaming the EU is easy. I'm skeptical that their problems will be solved by leaving/breaking-up the EU.

Personally, I feel for the UK. I think a lot of their citizens are going to have a harder time going forward. I also wouldn't be surprised if Scotland, and maybe Northern Ireland, end up leaving the UK. This is definitely going to take some time to work through.
Northern Ireland fought a war for 40 years to leave the UK, I kind of doubt the UK will allow it now. Although if it did happen I bet my grandfather would jump from his grave and do a jig.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:25 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Northern Ireland fought a war for 40 years to leave the UK, I kind of doubt the UK will allow it now. Although if it did happen I bet my grandfather would jump from his grave and do a jig.

Maybe. But now maybe they have more justification than before?

I know very little about Northern Ireland. But I know that Scotland had recently tried for independence and knowing that a majority wanted to stay in the EU, it seems their justification for independence has increased. Maybe Northern Ireland isn't far behind?
Old 06-25-2016, 10:32 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Ironically, the implementation of Lisbon treaty itself was delayed by a revote. The terms of the treaty required changes to the Irish constitution, which mandated a referendum. The Irish people rejected the treaty in the 2008 referendum. A revised treaty was ratified in a second referendum in 2009.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:42 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Northern Ireland fought a war for 40 years to leave the UK, I kind of doubt the UK will allow it now.
A lot has changed in the past two decades, with 20 years of the peace process. Relations between the Republic of Ireland and the UK are now extremely cordial and collaborative. Brexit means that the UK will in future have a land border with the EU on the island of Ireland. That will have to be a hard border, which will be disastrous for trade, tourism and the economy. There is a risk that old animosities will be stirred up again. I'm quite sure that Ireland and the UK will be working together to mitigate that risk. They may have to think outside the box.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:17 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I saw #regrexit in an online story today--some interesting things come up if you google it. Here's one about an online petition to revote: Brexit: Do you #Regrexit? - CNNPolitics.com
You should see how there taking it on CNN International. It's like a crying theme show, how could they do this.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:46 AM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
What? Texas is leaving?
OMG, we are planning to visit Texas next year, will we need a passport by then, or will just our new stetsons and shiny boots do? We are already practicing our two-step and Texas drawl.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:13 AM   #57
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
OMG, we are planning to visit Texas next year, will we need a passport by then, or will just our new stetsons and shiny boots do? We are already practicing our two-step and Texas drawl.
Depending on where you plan to go you may have to have your passport, we've had to produce ours several times while near to the Mexican border. Last year we drove to California on I-10 and the whole of I-10 was directed onto a border control post to check passports. We were on our way eventually to Canada so did have our US passports with us.

We are living in a part of England that voted 71% to leave and the decision was mostly economic, a big steel works closed earlier this year (the last on Teesside) with a big loss of jobs in an area that was already depressed. There is little fear about stock market losses or an economic downturn as they feel they are already in one.

At times like this it is best to keep a stiff upper lip and be optimistic, when my wife and I were born in the 50's the UK was still on rations from WW2.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:10 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

A primarily non-economic perspective from Calcutta born, Associate Professor of Political Science at the University of Western Ontario, Salim Mansur:

Articles: Brexit and Multiculturalism

Quote:
".......who remember what Britain was once like not too long ago as society and culture that open immigration policy severely, if not mortally, has undermined, decided that to save what remained of their island kingdom they needed to regain their full political sovereignty instead of losing more of it to the bureaucrats of the EU in Brussels."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for participating.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Closed Thread