Brexit revote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of working to overturn the will of the people and dismissing a decision that was made fairly and peacefully, why don't the Remain people and the EU spend some time trying understand why so many people wanted to Leave? Seems to me like this is an appropriate time to consider some necessary reforms.

Europe's economy has been pretty stagnant in recent years, unemployment rate remains high, labor participation rates have declined, the Euro is weak, negative interest rates in many of the member countries.

When I was growing up, everyone talked about the West German economic miracle. What happened? The EU format was supposed to unleash an era of economic growth, prosperity and innovation, but that doesn't seem to have happened. Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

When I was growing up, everyone talked about the West German economic miracle. What happened? The EU format was supposed to unleash an era of economic growth, prosperity and innovation, but that doesn't seem to have happened. Why not?

Spenders changing into savers or savers changing into spenders does not happen quickly. Nor do changes in other habits.

I am British, and no matter how much I want it, the petition will not overturn the vote. The PM has resigned and things are already moving toward exit.
The petition has 2.000.000+ signatures now. But it is not going to change anything, even though referendums are not legally binding and that parliament can't reject the result if it wants (hypothetically).
What if it takes a few months before a new PM is installed, and Parliament gets around to voting to trigger Article 50? If the new PM is not as ardently pro-leave (in other words, not Boris), the market has seriously tanked, and the general economy is showing signs of being affected, the general population might be secretly relieved if a new PM were to don Superman underpants and "pull them back from the precipice". It might even be considered politically expedient for a new PM to do so.

I am not very knowledgeable in this area, so it may be naive of me to even be thinking this. However, if we pull out and start negotiations, the UK could very likely end up with many of the same rights, fees, and concessions as before, except without a say in how EU regulations are written (think Norway). I suppose that with this option, the politicians can then say to their followers, "Look - we got you out of the EU!" while effectively still being in the EU.

I am so worried that I am attracting Porky with this kind of talk.

Last edited:
There's always been that independent band of Texits wanting to leave.
I find the made-up words amusing. Since Brexit, we have also learned about the potential for Frexit, Nexit, Dexit, Auxit, and Grexit (again).

It seems quite cutesy, in a European sort of a way :LOL:

Brexit

What if it takes a few months before a new PM is installed, and Parliament gets around to voting to trigger Article 50? If the new PM is not as ardently pro-leave (in other words, not Boris), the market has seriously tanked, and the general economy is showing signs of being affected, the general population might be secretly relieved if a new PM were to don Superman underpants and "pull them back from the precipice". It might even be considered politically expedient for a new PM to do so.

I am not very knowledgeable in this area, so it may be naive of me to even be thinking this. However, if we pull out and start negotiations, the UK could very likely end up with many of the same rights, fees, and concessions as before, except without a say in how EU regulations are written (think Norway). I suppose that with this option, the politicians can then say to their followers, "Look - we got you out of the EU!" while effectively still being in the EU.

I am so worried that I am attracting Porky with this kind of talk.

Very unlikely scenario. This needs a whole parliament going radical to vote against the referendum (which is not legally binding).
I guess Cameron should have not resigned so quickly, and waited a bit longer to see the aftereffects like the petition of more than 2,000,000 people who are antiBrexit.
It's over to my opinion.
I was proBrexit theoretically as EU Is undemocratic institution where the unelected rich rule over elected ministers of EU countries. Yet I woke up today feeling smaller missing the sense of unity and brotherhood I had with fellow EU citizens (I am an expat living in Spain). Also I will lose the right to move, live and work in other EU countries without immigration and hassle of paperwork. I am now like an American or Russian when it comes to immigration to other Eu countries.
When I move to Spain 6 years ago, I flashed my passport and my permanent residency permit was printed out in 1 minute. That is history now!

Why should a petition of 2 million people override the 17 million that voted to leave? Are we to believe that all of those 2 million on the petition are people that originally voted no and have since had regrets, or are they just a bunch of unhappy no voters muddying the waters?

Why should a petition of 2 million people override the 17 million that voted to leave? Are we to believe that all of those 2 million on the petition are people that originally voted no and have since had regrets, or are they just a bunch of unhappy no voters muddying the waters?

As I understand it, "official" petitions that gather 100,000+ signatures trigger a parliamentary debate. That may or may not result in another vote.

I'm sure they'll figure it out without my help...

Or if they are British, and indeed whether they even exist as living entities.

It was a 48 to 52 vote. No matter what way you go, you irritate ~50% of the people. It's a no-win no matter what.

The easy street is to stay and keep Britain (or whatever country it is morphing into) in the EU.

If you throw out Northern Ireland and Scotland the vote was much higher on the exit side... and there is already talk of another vote for Scotland to leave and the Irish are talking about a vote to reunify....

I think England will be out no matter what... almost the whole country voted that way except for London....

I think England will be out no matter what... almost the whole country voted that way except for London....

There have been calls for London to secede from Britain to remain the the EU......Lexit? Or Lentrance?

Or if they are British, and indeed whether they even exist as living entities.
I wondered that too. I signed the petition, which is open to UK citizens and residents. However, there was no check performed to see whether I am who I say I am, which rather negates the purpose of the whole exercise, in my opinion. Actually, it leads me to thinking that the whole petition system is a far less than serious undertaking, other than to allow folk to let off steam and help them to think they made a difference.

ust keep voting until they get the result they want.

In the few instances where the dominant political party in Illinois fails to obtain the desired results in an election, it's automatically a "do-over." Sounds like the folks in the UK are thinking the same way.......

There are some saying that the UK should stay in the EU and attempt to change it, rather than just getting out. But David Cameron already went to Brussels to get some reforms, and he was given a humiliating "zilch." So, if a club won't be reformed, it may be best to part ways amicably.

If a re-vote is scheduled, you can bet those favoring "stay", both in the UK and elsewhere, will do everything possible to twist the knife and demonstrate just how "awful" being outside of the EU can be--"make them feel the pain" in hopes for a better result. Why go through that? The EU has had decades to reform, and there's apparently no effective mechanism to get that to happen. It seems the best course for the UK would be to press on with cleaning up the glass and moving ahead, fully in charge of their own affairs, setting policies consistent with their culture, their best interests, and the desires of their population. You know--like a nation.

Last edited:
I suspect it would reclaim the losses. I do not expect any country to actually leave the EU. There may be additional concessions, but never leaving. The EU is here to stay. No country will go broke, not even Greece.

The vote was non-binding. If Brexit actually happens, it would be like TX leaving the US.

I disagree. I think this is it for the EU. The cracks have been widening for a few years now. Many of the Northern European nations have been voicing their discontent with the increasing burdens being placed on their citizens and resources by the dictators in Brussels. These are nations that have been at war off and on with each other for centuries. It was just a matter of time before the treaty dissovled.

I find the made-up words amusing. Since Brexit, we have also learned about the potential for Frexit, Nexit, Dexit, Auxit, and Grexit (again).

It seems quite cutesy, in a European sort of a way :LOL:

I'd add that there's different levels of leaving the EU. A Grexit would only be from the Eurozone, not the EU. The U.K. was never a member of the Eurozone. Their vote was to leave the EU.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out with other EU countries and most importantly, if they decide to "leave," does that mean the Eurozone or the EU.

I disagree. I think this is it for the EU. The cracks have been widening for a few years now. Many of the Northern European nations have been voicing their discontent with the increasing burdens being placed on their citizens and resources by the dictators in Brussels. These are nations that have been at war off and on with each other for centuries. It was just a matter of time before the treaty dissovled.

Europe has some hard issues facing them. Blaming the EU is easy. I'm skeptical that their problems will be solved by leaving/breaking-up the EU.

Personally, I feel for the UK. I think a lot of their citizens are going to have a harder time going forward. I also wouldn't be surprised if Scotland, and maybe Northern Ireland, end up leaving the UK. This is definitely going to take some time to work through.

Originally Posted by languagefan View Post
After Brexit Vote, Britain Googles 'What Is The EU?' : All Tech Considered : NPR
:facepalm:

While I'd certainly expect Europeans (or those with close European roots) to have a better understanding of this (and it should be expected of anyone who voted - but that might be optimistic), I'd imagine most US citizens (including myself) get confused over being in the EU, and having the Euro as their currency. But (not googling it), I'm pretty sure they are very different things?

-ERD50

Perhaps they are 2 million ignoramuses who didn't think to google "What is the EU" or "What does Brexit mean" until after the polls had closed and they had already voted (one way or the other) and had buyer's remorse.

Besides, the petition isn't to override the vote, but to have another vote. Happens all the time .... a decision is made, a petition to reconsider is submitted, the decision is then affirmed or overridden with another vote.

Last edited:
Yes it would.

From Brexit to Texit? Renewed calls for Texas secession after EU vote - CBS News

https://www.rt.com/usa/348303-brexit-texit-texas-secession/

Quote from the article, "The Lone Star State was the 28th to join the Union in 1845, following nine years of being an independent republic. And based on its present day $1.6 trillion economy, if it did become a separate nation, it would be among the 10 top economies in the world, Miller says."
I see neither of those stories mentions that states cannot secede from the US. There was that whole American Civil War thing remember. :angel:

While I'd certainly expect Europeans (or those with close European roots) to have a better understanding of this (and it should be expected of anyone who voted - but that might be optimistic), I'd imagine most US citizens (including myself) get confused over being in the EU, and having the Euro as their currency. But (not googling it), I'm pretty sure they are very different things?

-ERD50

They are very different. One is being part of a European community (EU) and the other is the Eurozone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom