Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: For people who still work, do you bring your lunch or buy it?
Bring it 88 64.23%
Buy it 45 32.85%
Lunch? Are you kidding? 4 2.92%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Bring lunch from home or buy?
Old 05-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Bring breakfast, lunch and soft drinks everyday unless I know about a lunch meeting I'm supposed to attend. I eat at my desk and then go out for a few minutes just to get away.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2007, 06:17 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bring breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack every day. I don't think it's cheaper than going out, but it is definitely worth the shopping and prep time time and cost of the food because I bring healthy things to eat. I actually see bringing my lunch as investing in my future. It has been key to me losing 35 pounds on Weight Watchers and keeping it off for 18 months.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #23

I'd say 90% of the time used to bring my lunch (previous job). Now, in my new job...a great bennie...I get lunch free from the cafeteria. I love not having to plan out what I'll be eating, and the food is actually quite good!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Usually just bring my own ... don't have a lot of affordable options in the area anyway, most of it fast food, which I don't need.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I used to bring my lunch, now I walk to school.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #26

I have to confess both DH and I buy lunch every day. However, my lunch normally consists of some kind of take out salad so it is relatively healthy. I was eating burritos for a while until I took the time to research their calorie content, and that made me realise why I gaining weight.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:12 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most of the time I would go out and buy something. Being single, I tried to find a balanced lunch with a meat and a couple of veggies. At night I would get by with a sandwich or a salad.

Now that I'm retired, I simply walk a couple of blocks to mom's house and sponge off her. If I'm on the golf course around lunch time, I get by on a granola bar. Life is so simple now.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:19 PM   #28

When I was employed, I would bring my lunch, except on Thursdays. That was my day to "splurge" and eat out. Now, I eat lunch at home, and nap.... almost everyday. Life is good.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

I buy lunch but I keep it cheap. A couple of years ago when I stopped using the credit card for the bonus points and we converted to an all cash budget (well almost all cash) I had a very ugly surprise when we implemented the new budget.
I was averaging about $100 a week for lunch, snacks, coffee etc... The new budget allotted me $23 a week. When I had three days to go and only $5 panic was one option.
I have had a few years and a few raises and now get to eat like a king on $44 a week.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:56 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I usually go home for lunch.....from my desk to my door in 5 minutes
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't vote, since I know longer have to work. But when I did, I brought my lunch and had one of those small solid state fridges under the desk for the lunch and afternoon refreshment. I should figure out how much I saved over all those years. Figure lunch was probably around $2 a day and the afternoon can of pop cost about 20 cents instead of $1. Probably saved $5/day.

Jeb
Jeb-NY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:47 PM   #32

i eat out almost everyday at lunch. spend about $5-$8 a lunch, it's basic a neccessity for me mentally. i just can NOT stand hanging out in the cubicle 8-9 hrs in a row to save lunch money.

and i also believe saving money by bring lunch is NOT worth the effort. Most of the people stay in and brought lunch are the ones spent too much on the weekend ( i guess). Lunch time is MY time, no boss, no wife, no kids, no obligation.

enuff
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #33

I go to lunch with my colleagues (and the ocassional client) on a regular basis. If I didn't, I would be considered anti-social, and it would hurt my career. I would save $6-10 dollars per workday, but I would lose much more than that in lost career opportunities and lost opportunities to be "in the know" regarding what's going on in my small company and with our clients. Going out to lunch is an almost daily opportunity to network, socialize, keep up to speed on internal issues, keep my finger on the pulse of the company, and keep my interpersonal relationships current. For me to stop going to lunch would be almost like committing career suicide.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #34

Most of the time I brown bag my lunch except for Fridays...kind of my treat day for making it through the work week

You can't buy lunch here for under $6 anymore so the savings really add up by brown bagging it. I figure for every day that I brown bag it, I can retire one day earlier!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl
Most of the time I brown bag my lunch except for Fridays...kind of my treat day for making it through the work week

You can't buy lunch here for under $6 anymore so the savings really add up by brown bagging it. I figure for every day that I brown bag it, I can retire one day earlier!!!!!!
Hey, that's what I did for years and years, and I did ER! All those lunches "in" were worth it, payback is mine! I never ate at the mega-corp cafeteria, either. Choices were spicy grease, greasy grease, or greasy spice :P Just the smell was enough to put me off the idea of eating there.

What many forget to add into the cost of lunch out every day is the transportation cost to do so.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:12 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm hardcore LBYM, but lunch out during work is well worth the money spent...
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:28 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline
You just can't buy a good PB&J sandwich anywhere, I'm not kidding, that's what I'm
eating for lunch, guess I never grew up
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:07 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans
You just can't buy a good PB&J sandwich anywhere, I'm not kidding, that's what I'm
eating for lunch, guess I never grew up
Do you have a Potbelly's sandwich works near you? They have awesome PB&J sandwiches

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:19 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline
not the solution for everyone as I work out in the 'burbs, but while I eat at work, I don't eat at my desk--I wander out to the coffee bar or student union to eat, people watch or browse the stacks for an interesting book, or if the weather's fine I'll go down the street to the golf course, get a range token or two and whack some balls into submission. mental health and frugality! :-) I expect that when I move up in the world a bit I'll need to do a few more networking lunches, but at this point I'm pretty much waiting for people to retire for a slot to open up above me.
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:28 AM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

I brought lunch at my last job .Besides saving money and it being more healthy I was afraid if I left the building I'd never return.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote