Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I'm not returning to the market until the Y2K issue blows over.
I lived thru that Y2K effect with little damage.

I am now preparing for Y3K.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post

I would like to have a small % of what my former mega-corp spent on Y2K consultants. So can I assume it would be good to invest in Y3K consulting companies
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I'm not returning to the market until the Y2K issue blows over.
I'm actually going to the market to buy a couple dozen more 10 gallon bottles of water like we stocked up on before Y2K--you never know when a calendar event or a currency issue is going to make us superthirsty just when the global fresh water supplies fail. I might buy a white panel van to carry them home in, too.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:32 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well, it was a nonevent according to the professionals until suddenly the polls changed in favor of Brexit. This week in the markets has been the professionals scrambling to figure out what it means to their investments and trying to reposition.

So, I don't think they were looking at every angle the prior week.
I think one of the angles they consider is the probabilities of the voting results. Their estimates of "right" prices reflect those probabilities, and when the probabilities change, prices change.

But, again, I don't know any more about the outcome of the vote than they do, so I can't beat the market.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post

Ah, but most systems now have 4 digits years so Y3K will not matter. Hint: You should prepare (NOW!) for Y10K.
niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Latest polls show it is very close. Odds makers still have it more likely Brexit will NOT occur.

Personally I think the market sells off more up to the vote. I bought a small short that I am betting...yes this is gambling...not investing....will go up the next few days. I will likely sell before the actual vote and take advantage of the uncertainty for some extra pocket change...hopefully. Remember, the market does not like uncertainty.
Travelwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:08 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Wow, I didn't realize that my vote had such power.

Wa Ha Ha Ha!!
You don't get many opportunities in life to mess with so many people. In fact, now's your chance to get back at us Yanks for that dust up back in '75 (that's 1775). I say go for it, all the way, and show the world how it's done. And if global markets fall a measly 10% or so, that would be a great buying opportunity.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:08 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

It is just my personal opinion but I think if England would leave the EU, it is not only regaining control of their own policies but benefit greatly to US$ as main Global reserve currency. Currently the EU GDP (including Britain' $2.8 trillion) is very close to USA GDP and despite England having their own currency, her economy is integrated tightly and counted for the EU GDP. Then Euro and Dollar are very closely compete for main world reserve currency. Reducing EU GDP would let US$ remain as main world reserve currency in a near future.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Reading about this looming disaster makes me really happy I rolled over my 401k and don't have to worry!
Exactly right. Now that all our 401(k) money is in IRAs we certainly don't have anything to worry about anymore.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Just my opinion, and I am sure others will chime in after this.... but I think that England should leave the EU...

When I lived there in 2000, there were some rulings that the EU made that made zero sense if you lived in England...

I remember one vendor did not list food in kgs... which was a violation... and he was fined and threatened to be shut down unless he complied... there was others that I just cannot remember right now.... but they made me think 'why are they in the EU?'....

I also do not think that there are many benefits that flow to England since they are not part of the Euro... still have currency risk...

It is easy to get free trade agreements with the various countries... so trade should not be impacted in the long run....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by niven View Post
Ah, but most systems now have 4 digits years so Y3K will not matter. Hint: You should prepare (NOW!) for Y10K.
Exactly!!!
Old 06-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

They didn't make them switch to driving on the right side of the road!
Old 06-18-2016, 10:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'm actually going to the market to buy a couple dozen more 10 gallon bottles of water like we stocked up on before Y2K--you never know when a calendar event or a currency issue is going to make us superthirsty just when the global fresh water supplies fail. I might buy a white panel van to carry them home in, too.
Quote from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Drivers of white vans have receding hairline, wear a do-rag, and have a stubble.
I assume that you already meet all three of the above prerequisites set out by target2019.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:27 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I think that a potential Brexit is likely to have more of an economic than a market impact, especially in Europe. I am far more concerned about the outcome of the US presidential election.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:38 PM   #35
Gone but not forgotten

Early returns have the British Markets in a total turmoil... First two districts upside down from the expectations.
Looks to be a long night. Final reslts expected around breakfast time in the US on Friday.
First charts after the districts (Sunderland and New Castle) have the pound down 40%.
CSpan is showing the results live.
Current concensus is that if there is a Brexit, the inflation will go up 3 to 4%.

More exciting than US elections.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
So the sky has not fallen, everyone who sold their 401K can now buy back at higher prices.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:55 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Early returns have the British Markets in a total turmoil... First two districts upside down from the expectations.
Looks to be a long night. Final reslts expected around breakfast time in the US on Friday.
First charts after the districts (Sunderland and New Castle) have the pound down 40%.
Looks like I need to plan our trip to London, going to be able to travel posh style with a 40% decline of the pound.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, there are huge issues coming in 2044!

That's the year the mainframe(and many other systems) time of day(TOD) rolls over. The format is the number of 64/1000 of a second past midnight 1900. It's rolls around to the next epoch in 2044. As I understand it all time comes from that single source. But many applications access the TOD function, how many of those will be changed and tested? My guess is 0.

Seriously evil stuff could occur to make any virus attack seem small. I know for a fact there's issues with some financial applications that will break.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Actually the next crisis will occur on Jan 19 2038 when the time counter on 32 bit unix machines overflows being and because numbers greater than 2^^31 are negative the date on the computer goes back to 1901. On 64 bit unix systems the wrap around date is 15:30:08 on Sunday, 4 December 292,277,026,596 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem The later date is one no one on earth will have to worry about as the earth will have been absorbed by the sun by that time and the sun become a white dwarf.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

When that happens the solar panels on my roof should make the 1.21 gigawatts needed to to propel me back to the past.

Where I'll have to kill myself I guess. Damn.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote