Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2016, 06:09 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Oooooooh - might be one of those mini crash mornings where ETFs can't open properly and people can't get online with their brokerage. Hope no one has stop losses set up!
Might also be a good morning to put in some low-ball buy orders if looking to start or add to positions.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 06:48 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

These articles are clickbait and it's sad to think how many people never make the returns posted by most mutual funds because they pile in when the values are up and sell in a panic in times like these.

In my pre-retirement days these dips were even easier to take because I was putting away so much new money and buying at bargain prices. When the dust settles I'll probably move some of my free cash into SPY.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:04 AM   #63
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmorton View Post
A couple of other interesting points (to me, anyway):
  • Glad to see Boston (District) was allowed to vote - over 75% voted to leave
Have ancestors from Gedney (Drove End).
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:38 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Dow already down 500 points. I should have taken my own advise and converted to cash yesterday and got back in later today. My 401k is now melting.
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:39 AM   #65

Goodbye 401k gains...nice knowing you. Time to shove more money in my index funds.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Initial market results show DJIA hovering around -500 pts. (~-2.7%)

If this is as low as we go, then we may have dodged a bullet by not making any changes.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:44 AM   #67

LOL, I'm not doing a blessed thing. I've got a year's expenses in cash so absolutely no need to change course.

I may buy some british pounds. I'm planning on going to London next year and if the the value drops it maybe a nice little bonus
Old 06-24-2016, 07:50 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

meh
Old 06-24-2016, 08:12 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
Dow already down 500 points. I should have taken my own advise and converted to cash yesterday and got back in later today. My 401k is now melting.
The only thing we knew yesterday was things were going to be volatile for a while.

When a storm is coming, hunker down. Best way not to get washed overboard when it hits

[Edit] I'm actually flat today in my index tracker. The euro dropped just about the same as the S&P. Individual shares down 1.5% (due to ArcelorMittal taking a >10% nose dive).
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:13 AM   #70
gone traveling

Wow. Are there really people smart enough to be on this board, thinking about their future panicking over this?
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:21 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFK57 View Post
Every time I buy or sell based on Market sentiment, I lose. I rather do nothing and watch. Hopefully the US$ will remain the prime world reserve currency for at least near future and US economy continue to stay #1 in the world.

+1
Old 06-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFK57 View Post
Every time I buy or sell based on Market sentiment, I lose. I rather do nothing and watch. Hopefully the US$ will remain the prime world reserve currency for at least near future and US economy continue to stay #1 in the world.
I didn't just buy because of market sentiment or my own fear/greed per se. I just bought more international equities because my AA was out of whack as this hammering of international stocks left my AA too low on that asset class.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
Wow. Are there really people smart enough to be on this board, thinking about their future panicking over this?

Gee, I didn't think you had to be smart to be on this board but I'm not seeing much panic here. More like opportunism (is that a word?). It seems like it's the pros that are creating the volatility. It's not like any immediate action will come out of this. It'll take years but the uncertainty generates knee jerk response.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-24-2016, 08:44 AM   #74

I already put in orders this morning. There are those who do nothing or run...and there are those who run into the fire!
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #75
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Gee, I didn't think you had to be smart to be on this board....
I stand corrected!
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Initial market results show DJIA hovering around -500 pts. (~-2.7%)

If this is as low as we go, then we may have dodged a bullet by not making any changes.
Our market can change this much on a whim, so it's really a non-event.

I did put in a small order to pick up something cheap, but it looks like it won't get cheap enough, so no deal.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

It's just a lot of noise in the long run.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:56 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
It's just a lot of noise in the long run.
No one even knows what will happen, which is the main reason for the selloff and volatility -- markets hate uncertainty even more than bad news.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

There is always uncertainty. Markets just forget that occasionally.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:31 AM   #80

Well I recorded my portfolio value yesterday. Today I can see how many cars I could have bought with the loss. I don't remember any single day shifts this big (for international) even during the great recession.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote