Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-25-2016, 02:50 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
My first thought on hearing the news of market drops: "Good. If the dip lasts more than 10 days, then my upcoming dividend reinvestments will buy more shares"
it is a wash . you will have the same account value pretty much before and after the reinvested money .

all compounding is on dollars at the ring of the opening bell over the next quarter , not number of shares . the auto adjustment in share price downward by the amount of the pay out pretty much is a wash when you reinvest .

if you don't reinvest then at the opening bell you have less dollars compounding .

you only benefit when buying more shares with new money since that increases the dollars compounding .
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2016, 02:55 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
The dividend reinvestment price is the price of the stock on the dividend ex-date, not the date the dividend is distributed.

Likely that ex-date has already passed, and they will be bought for a price a few percent above the market.
this is another reason .

all in all , much ado about nothing . you pretty much end up with the same dollars you had pre dividend .

all that counts is total return . you started the quarter with x-amount and it compounded up or down and you ended with y-amount . number of shares play no part .

the same total return will give you the same results whether you reinvested the dividend or had a stock that paid no dividend
Old 06-25-2016, 02:59 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
Down just under 2% today with a 52/48 stock/bond portfolio.
down 1.37% total yesterday with a 33/59/8 portfolio . but about 40% of the bond budget is in high yield as a proxy for some of the stock allocation .

i found the high yield market performing better then stocks with almost 1/2 the volatility so it was a no brainer to make the swap .
Old 06-25-2016, 04:47 AM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwanted View Post
Latest polls show it is very close. Odds makers still have it more likely Brexit will NOT occur.

Personally I think the market sells off more up to the vote. I bought a small short that I am betting...yes this is gambling...not investing....will go up the next few days. I will likely sell before the actual vote and take advantage of the uncertainty for some extra pocket change...hopefully. Remember, the market does not like uncertainty.
Exact opposite of what I thought...run up to the vote then plummet.

Closed out my short position and went long the pound. Added to total stock market, international and banking.
Travelwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:02 AM   #105
gone traveling

Not really sure what the 1 day impact was. I'm still up 7.45% for the last 3 months in my 401K, and of course, my cash i still the same (about .02% lol)
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:33 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Today I am up 64 grand from last month.

Up, down, sideways...who cares?

Much ado about nothing.

And that's my way of dealing with market fluctuations, do nothing -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

It's already recovered most of the downdraft.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #108
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

Much ado about nothing.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

I think I'm down about .4% in the k plan since the vote - must be the vfwsx exposure

that was as of 6/28; should go back up after today though
Old 06-29-2016, 02:42 PM   #110
Full time employment: Posting here.

Can't say I'm fully recovered yet but it's within spitting distance.

Just wanted to quote an economist I like to follow, Benjamin Tal: “Markets tend to overestimate developments in the short run and underestimate them in the long run.”
Old 06-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

Much ado about nothing.

+1. It is not the first or last time the Market goes up and down on bad / good news. Over the years economy improvement and inflation always drive the Market back and higher.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:11 AM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

I am pretty much back to where I was last week, just a few hundred dollars below my all time high. Whether it will last...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I am pretty much back to where I was last week, just a few hundred dollars below my all time high. Whether it will last...
Wait! What? You mean I can come out of my bunker?

All the experts said this was close to the end of the world as we know it.

Last week, the headline was "Greenspan: This is the worst!", now it's "Just Kidding"?
Old 06-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #114

As of close yesterday, I was ~0.2% below the recent high. With today's market action, it looks like I'll be above that mark.

However, it's very early days for this Brexit tomfoolery. Anything could happen in the weeks, months and (more importantly) years ahead.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #115

Last night I looked at the ytd, and noticed that my balance is higher an the start of the year even after I have withdrawn 1/2 of my 2016 spend! If I can get another 18 months of this, we can get 1st class tickets for a trip to Europe (at least I will get 1st class, DW may be in coach!)

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #116
gone traveling

High quality, wide moat ETFs VIG and SCHD are at all time highs (If you add in dividend payed few days ago)
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #117

Based on my portfolio results, I am ready for another Brexit. Who, or what country, is next to vote?

If they do it often enough, my retirement will be more excellent that it already should be.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Wait! What? You mean I can come out of my bunker?

All the experts said this was close to the end of the world as we know it.

Last week, the headline was "Greenspan: This is the worst!", now it's "Just Kidding"?
There are rumors of another round of stimulus from Central Banks.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:35 PM   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Up $3k over the high on Brexit Eve.

The overall reaction of the EU to the vote seems to be "don't let the door hit you on the way out." Perhaps that (vs begging the UK to reconsider and appearing as if chaos would ensue otherwise) helped temper the initial sell-off last Friday.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:57 PM   #120

Britain vote could crush 401k balances?

On Monday, the Learned Experts said we must expect tremendous volatility in the markets, and quite possibly a recession. By Thursday, the Other Learned Experts are saying, "The effects of Brexit will not likely be very bad for US stocks." As usual, it's "Pick Your Expert" based on what is in the rear view mirror, because that's the best anyone can do. No one can guess the future, so set your AA, keep your ERs low on your index fund and then ignore the "experts", starting with the OP's advisor and all the rest. Happy 4th!
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote