Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Early returns have the British Markets in a total turmoil... First two districts upside down from the expectations.
Looks to be a long night. Final reslts expected around breakfast time in the US on Friday.
First charts after the districts (Sunderland and New Castle) have the pound down 40%.
CSpan is showing the results live.
Current concensus is that if there is a Brexit, the inflation will go up 3 to 4%.

More exciting than US elections.
This is not even a binding election. It doesn't matter the outcome. Even if Brexit passes, with 100% of the vote, Parliament can vote to stay in.

Count on a market rally when it passes one or both votes.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 07:08 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
This is not even a binding election. It doesn't matter the outcome. Even if Brexit passes, with 100% of the vote, Parliament can vote to stay in.

Count on a market rally when it passes one or both votes.
It'd be political suicide for politicians not to follow through with the referendum results. Parliament would be a gong show too considering how split even the the ruling Conservative and opposition Labour party are within their own caucuses.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not to mention that a Brexit may precipitate the breakup of the U.K. Early results suggest that most of the Leave votes are coming from England, while Scotland is leaning to Remain.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:04 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

They have whiskey to sell?
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:05 PM   #45

Quote:
Dow Jones futures briefly saw an implied open down more than 400 points, before then recovering much of those losses. Those moves, however, occurred on extremely light volume.
US futures take a dive as Brexit vote results roll in
Get ready to buy. The dip will be short lived, if at all.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 06-23-2016, 08:19 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Looks like I need to plan our trip to London, going to be able to travel posh style with a 40% decline of the pound.

Imolder, had a sticky finger on the keyboard...It never was down 40%.... It is down between 4-5% ....Sorry, Sunset...Just a minor savings it you book now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:36 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Not to mention that a Brexit may precipitate the breakup of the U.K. Early results suggest that most of the Leave votes are coming from England, while Scotland is leaning to Remain.
I'm following the results on The Guardian's EU referendum results website, and as of about 10:30 PM Eastern, it does not appear that any of Scotland's local authorities have voted to leave. Of course, the City of Edinburgh with the most concentrated Scottish population that has yet to report (Glasgow with more population reported already).

A couple of other interesting points (to me, anyway):
  • Nearly 71% of eligible voters cast votes in the local authorities that have reported so far (over 9.5 million votes in).
  • Glad to see Boston (District) was allowed to vote - over 75% voted to leave
Old 06-23-2016, 08:44 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Imolder, had a sticky finger on the keyboard...It never was down 40%.... It is down between 4-5% ....Sorry, Sunset...Just a minor savings it you book now.

Stay patient Sunset and dont book..Its down 7% now...Maybe you will get that 40% after all!

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:16 PM   #49

Edited to avoid politics...

I'll just say, I'm happy to take a hit monetarily if that actually happens.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Here is a quote from the Community Rules (see link at the bottom of the page):

Partisan political commentary is not allowed in any section of the forum. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations that directly pertain to Early Retirement are acceptable but may be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.

Limit discussion of politics to the “FIRE Related Political Topics” forum unless the issue is specifically pertinent to the topic at hand.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #51

It is very interesting to listen to CNBC and their continued call that this election is close. [MOD EDIT] Some day BTFD as a means of the amount of thought one needs for how to become rich may not work and the central banks will be discredited, but I am sure there will be plenty early on with this strategy. The biggest purchaser of Japanese stocks in the last 6 months has been the Japan Central bank, now with Japan futures down 7 percent after a 3 percent drop today, that position will be in a losing way. The Japan Central Bank also holds 40% of all government debt in Japan, interesting times to be sure.
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:01 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I'm unlikely to go all cash.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:07 PM   #53

USD is up 8% against the British Pound and 3% against the Euro.

This could be a good summer for US tourists visiting Europe.

The downside is the portfolio will take a bigger hit...
Old 06-23-2016, 10:17 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

S&P futures down 92...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:31 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
S&P futures down 92...

Get ready to buy the gap.
Quote:
Futures imply Dow open down 650 points as Brexit result frightens investors
Old 06-23-2016, 10:35 PM   #56

Welp, the big Asian markets are all in red. Nikkei is down near 7%.
Can't wait to wake up and see everything in red and what the portfolio ends up at by end of day tomorrow.
We'll see if the missus wants to throw some cash at it.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:36 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Oooooooh - might be one of those mini crash mornings where ETFs can't open properly and people can't get online with their brokerage. Hope no one has stop losses set up!
Old 06-24-2016, 05:28 AM   #58

Every time I buy or sell based on Market sentiment, I lose. I rather do nothing and watch. Hopefully the US$ will remain the prime world reserve currency for at least near future and US economy continue to stay #1 in the world.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:49 AM   #59

I have had decent results with the inverse, on an individual stock level.

With each implosion, sift through to find the unfairly punished company that is just being dragged down because it is in a rotten basket.

It has to be a solid company though because there is no telling when sentiment reverses, and you don't want to get stuck with a company having poor future prospects.

Did it in 2012 with BNP Paribas (EU banking meltdown), more recently with MHPC in the Ukraine (Krim wars).
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:59 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I put things into a long term perspective. Lets say the market ends up down 5%. Since I'm not about 45% in stocks, my portfolio will take a little less than a 2.5% hit. That equates to about a year of retirement withdrawals for me. But I don't have to touch the stock (or bond) portion of my investments for at least 7 years. In the long run, this short term panic has good odds of recovering. Perhaps I'll put a little more cash into my ETFs as early in the day as possible, it might be a buying opportunity for me.