Britain vote could crush 401k balances?

Initial market results show DJIA hovering around -500 pts. (~-2.7%)

If this is as low as we go, then we may have dodged a bullet by not making any changes.

Our market can change this much on a whim, so it's really a non-event.

I did put in a small order to pick up something cheap, but it looks like it won't get cheap enough, so no deal.

Well I recorded my portfolio value yesterday. Today I can see how many cars I could have bought with the loss. I don't remember any single day shifts this big (for international) even during the great recession.

Brexit immediate result: According to the World Bank the EU #1 GDP of $18.4 trillions would fall to a second place behind US GDP - $17.4 trillion when you deduct British $2.8 trillion. It is important because money value on international exchange is directly related to what economy worth. Current SDR basket:

• U.S. dollar 41.73 percent (compared with 41.9 percent at the 2010 Review)
  • Euro 30.93 percent (compared with 37.4 percent at the 2010 Review)
  • Chinese renminbi 10.92 percent
  • Japanese yen 8.33 percent (compared with 9.4 percent at the 2010 Review)
  • Pound sterling 8.09 percent (compared with 11.3 percent at the 2010 Review). If the basket changes like US$ is at lower demand, we would see much higher inflation here.

It's just a lot of noise in the long run.

No one even knows what will happen, which is the main reason for the selloff and volatility -- markets hate uncertainty even more than bad news.

I suppose it depends on how one is playing the game.
Index investors are probably just going with the flow.
Individual equity holders will likely want to assess the risks associated with potential changes that could impact the businesses they are holding. A lot of it is likely overblown but no one wants to be caught with their pants down.

I suppose it depends on how one is playing the game.

Index investors are probably just going with the flow.

Individual equity holders will likely want to assess the risks associated with potential changes that could impact the businesses they are holding. A lot of it is likely overblown but no one wants to be caught with their pants down.

Im hoping for another blow out, and then flush them margin calls out of the brush pile to create a further downhill rolling of the market...Then and maybe then, I will start buying commons...Otherwise all money is in safe preferred stocks... Another boring day...Even have more money today than I had yesterday...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gee, I didn't think you had to be smart to be on this board...

Well, there's something to be said for a bit of selectivity...

"I refuse to belong to any club that would accept me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Last edited:
My first thought on hearing the news of market drops: "Good. If the dip lasts more than 10 days, then my upcoming dividend reinvestments will buy more shares"

Our portfolio is down 1.5 percent. Sitting tight.

We lost 2.8% today.... And the dollar value was very close to our annual withdraw amount.

Also sitting tight.

I lost 60 grand. Easy come, easy go.

My first thought on hearing the news of market drops: "Good. If the dip lasts more than 10 days, then my upcoming dividend reinvestments will buy more shares"

The dividend reinvestment price is the price of the stock on the dividend ex-date, not the date the dividend is distributed.

Likely that ex-date has already passed, and they will be bought for a price a few percent above the market.

Ya win some, ya lose some.

If market behavior makes you queasy, you shouldn't be in the market.

Our one and only 401K (DW's) actually went up today as it is invested entirely in Vanguard's intermediate bond index fund. Our taxable account took a small hit though. If Vanguard's Total International index fund continues to head down next week, I will be booking some losses (exchange it for Vanguard FTSE ex-US index fund).

As Hyman Roth so eloquently stated, "This is the business we've chosen" Investors get paid to take risk. Days like this are certainly no fun but are a necessary part of the overall equation. If history is any indication, Monday could be really scary as well. Everyone will be counting their losses over the weekend and deciding what to do. As they watch their account balances melt, many of the weak hands will sell into the downturn. Tuesday could be a good time to deploy some dry powder. As for me, I’m turning off CNBC and playing golf.

I sold 430 shares of VTI yesterday @ about $108 to close a swing trade. That was luck. The markets were high and I pulled the trigger after just getting the dividend.

Today I bought 430 shares of VTI @ about $104. VTI will bounce back sooner than later and I will sell again @ around $107.50.

These are the moments to use cash sitting on the sideline. Some Traders made a killing today.

I just wish SBUX would get moving. lol

Last edited:
Down just under 2% today with a 52/48 stock/bond portfolio.

401K was "crushed" by about $22k today, but only down $7K for the week.

Back
Top Bottom