Broke NFL / NBA players after retirement

wooza, what a way to insult.

I agree but that is not my quote.... that is what coach said. Bobby Bowden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yea you are better off making 200-250k a year for 30 years then making huge sum for 5-6. Often far more than they know how to handle. And looking at what job requires (those frequent concussions)....it is no surprise.

Last edited:
With the internet--Bogleheads, this forum and such, it's much like having the most brilliant minds at the tips of your fingers.

...there's not middle ground between public housing and a mansion...

Yep, lots of "family" and other leeches, to buy mansions for, none of whom realize, or care, what the ongoing cost of a mansion is...

Oprah Winfrey's advice to young superstars of any kind who are making more money than they'd ever seen: make sure you personally sign every check that goes out. I'm sure that was a lot of work for her but it kept her aware of where her money was going.

A lot of people who have lucrative successes at an early age act like lottery winners. I despair at the discussions I read on other boards about "what I'd do if I won the lottery". (Funny I haven't seen that topic here.) When you've accumulated money slowly over decades, with a few market crashes thrown in and taxes paid on some along the way and you end up with a lottery-winning size pile, you're darned careful where it goes.

Like the others, I'm also glad that the NBA is trying to teach their younger athletes about money management. Too many of them probably got off to a bad start by being pushed from grade to grade through HS and then into a non-demanding major in college and they have a lot of catching up to do.

I agree but that is not my quote.... that is what coach said. Bobby Bowden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yea you are better off making 200-250k a year for 30 years then making huge sum for 5-6. Often far more than they know how to handle. And looking at what job requires (those frequent concussions)....it is no surprise.

That is the main problem facing them that education will not cure. "Im making 2 million a year and you are telling me I have to live on 50k a year for it to last me? No way!" Besides each individual is always going to be the one who lasts 15 years in the league. And.... Someone will still convince them to invest in that cant lose restaurant and bar venture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you've accumulated money slowly over decades, with a few market crashes thrown in and taxes paid on some along the way and you end up with a lottery-winning size pile, you're darned careful where it goes.

Best line of the day ! :clap:

Back
Top Bottom