Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-25-2017, 04:46 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most people have steady incomes which hopefully will gradually grow over their working careers. This makes it pretty tough to front-load spending even though many people run up lots of debt trying to do so (and become overwhelmed with it).

But pro football players often earn huge sums of money for a few years, like winning small lotteries in that time. They then spend way too much, not realizing (or ignoring) that those big incomes will end, often pretty quickly and often unexpectedly (i.e. from injuries). They then get saddled with the debts they ran up and can't repay, or with costly upkeep of expensive properties. Combine this lack of LBYM with the absence of common-sense financial advice and you have a recipe for financial disaster when it all comes tumbling down.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Most football players have the IQ of a dim light bulb.
It doesn't help that many high schools and universities supply the bare minimum "education" to their athletes. I once interviewed a candidate for an actuarial job who turned down one football scholarship because he wanted to major in engineering and they didn't allow their scholarship athletes to study anything that demanding.

There are exceptions, of course: the oral surgeon who placed my dental implants (and who will place any future ones I need if he's available) is an MD and a DDS who played football for K. U.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:16 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He graduated because he played football, not because he had the academic qualifications to graduate... And HS as well.

Certainly a broad stereotype.... and true in some cases....but on the other hand, today's high end Division 1 college and pro offenses and defenses are very complicated so today's successful players, especially skill players, are actually pretty smart cookies.

Matt Patricia is a great example. He is the defensive coordinator for the 5-time world champion New England Patriots. He played on the offensive line at RPI and has a degree in areonautical engineering... a rocket scientist playing football. Similarly, I don't think anyone would term Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning and the other marquee QBs as dim light bulbs and the same with many of the marquee middle linebackers, etc.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:58 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Certainly a broad stereotype.... and true in some cases....but on the other hand, today's high end Division 1 college and pro offenses and defenses are very complicated so today's successful players, especially skill players, are actually pretty smart cookies.

Matt Patricia is a great example. He is the defensive coordinator for the 5-time world champion New England Patriots. He played on the offensive line at RPI and has a degree in areonautical engineering... a rocket scientist playing football. Similarly, I don't think anyone would term Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning and the other marquee QBs as dim light bulbs and the same with many of the marquee middle linebackers, etc.
Very true. Maybe only the professional football players that are felons have a low IQ... That's only about 30% of them.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #25

Quote:

RPI...that Division III ‘Liberty League’ football powerhouse where they learn to spell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6B532AFE-B5DC-4D91-8878-338CC33BCE01.jpeg (63.5 KB, 44 views)
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:06 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't take financial advice from someone who spends all day banging his head into more or less immovable objects.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Tough crowd! Sheesh.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:26 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Tough crowd! Sheesh.
Obviously no ex-football players here!
Old 10-25-2017, 10:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Obviously no ex-football players here!
I think the football players (and the NFL) bring it on themselves. My (former) employer could have paid me a lot more money if my workplace was provided for my employer free.

And if my employer could have been taxed as a non-profit, even more money. And pay me even more if non-customers were forced to buy the employers services as part of a 'package', whether or not the customer wanted the service... the list goes on. If Weinstein was an NFL player, he would still be playing.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:47 AM   #30

Maybe headline should read "Broke NFL former employee....", since he never played a game?
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:52 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post

But pro football players often earn huge sums of money for a few years, like winning small lotteries in that time. They then spend way too much, not realizing (or ignoring) that those big incomes will end, often pretty quickly and often unexpectedly (i.e. from injuries).
Yeah, I have always thought taxing them based upon a 10-30 year average or something would be more fair than having to pay the highest tax bracket for a few short years.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:26 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Interesting post.

I was listening to a well known radio talk show consumer advocate talk about his investment presentations he makes to professional athletes. He just gives advice and is not selling anything as far as I know.

He says the younger players are mostly not paying attention, the older players (30+) are listening, and the coaches, managers, etc. are hanging on every word.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:44 AM   #33

Slightly off topic, but I don't get the "complaints" about paying taxes on 401K withdrawals. Did the complainers - and those FA's - forget that the 401K's were funded by pre-tax dollars? What am I missing?
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:47 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Slightly off topic, but I don't get the "complaints" about paying taxes on 401K withdrawals. Did the complainers - and those FA's - forget that the 401K's were funded by pre-tax dollars? What am I missing?
You are missing nothing. This guy's focus is not in the right place. RMDs are just a part of planning. He strangely focuses on it. But, hey, home equity loans are just fine. Go figure.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:53 AM   #35

cake.jpg
Old 10-26-2017, 09:44 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Yeah, I have always thought taxing them based upon a 10-30 year average or something would be more fair than having to pay the highest tax bracket for a few short years.
Interesting thought. Would you advocate the same for all professions? Wall Street brokers & bankers? Real Estate brokers? Lottery winners? Etc?
Old 10-26-2017, 11:49 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
You are missing nothing. We see the same thing very often on this forum regarding the "tax torpedo".... many people seem to forget that these savings were tax-deferred and not tax-free and resent that they have to pay tax on withdrawals... especially where they expected their tax rate in retirement to be lower than while they are working and deferred the income and as it turns out they were more successful than they expected and their tax rate in retirement is higher than they expected or even higher than when they were working and deferred that income. The problem is that they knew, or should have known, that risk when they deferred the income.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #38

Quote:
He graduated because he played football, not because he had the academic qualifications to graduate... And HS as well.

Hey!!
The old guy and son #2 are both college ball players. Lol look as with every situation you cannot blindly go through the motions without being engaged.
My son had no illusions that he was going to go pro. We stressed to him how great an opportunity to go to college for free and travel. He was on a partial football scholarship He's graduating in june with a dual degree in Business and public relations
As for this guy. Simply another guy hanging a shingle.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:30 PM   #39

Quote:
You are missing nothing. We see the same thing very often on this forum regarding the "tax torpedo".... many people seem to forget that these savings were tax-deferred and not tax-free and resent that they have to pay tax on withdrawals... especially where they expected their tax rate in retirement to be lower than while they are working and deferred the income and as it turns out they were more successful than they expected and their tax rate in retirement is higher than they expected or even higher than when they were working and deferred that income. The problem is that they knew, or should have known, that risk when they deferred the income.
+1

It would be great to see an analysis that quantifies the benefit (all other things being equal) of using tax-deferred accounts (Net Present Value comparison, % comparison or, X-factor comparison). I’d expect that already exists somewhere, if someone knows of it and wants to post it.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:34 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I say with great pride that we are almost 70 and in the 28th tax bracket. Paying more than we need to wasn’t a goal but needing to was.
TuborgP is offline   Reply With Quote