Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Kind of off topic but still a bit amusing. Years ago I knew a guy that used to keep a fake savings account passbook laying on the console of his car. The balance it showed was pretty healthy and when on dates he would make it a point to stop somewhere and leave the car for 5-10 minutes. He said he could always tell which dates took a peek and then adjusted his evening and future dates accordingly.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Kind of off topic but still a bit amusing. Years ago I knew a guy that used to keep a fake savings account passbook laying on the console of his car. The balance it showed was pretty healthy and when on dates he would make it a point to stop somewhere and leave the car for 5-10 minutes. He said he could always tell which dates took a peek and then adjusted his evening and future dates accordingly.
That's a good idea but I'd go the other way and have it show a balance of $1.98, then see how she treated me.

After my divorce my old car had finally worn out so I bought a new pickup truck. One of the guys at work said "You're going to go out on dates in a pickup truck!?"

"Yeah, and if some girl doesn't want to go out with me because I drive a pickup that's fine. It'll save us both a lot of bother."

DW-to-be thought it was great. The pickup had A/C and her car didn't.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
After my divorce my old car had finally worn out so I bought a new pickup truck. One of the guys at work said "You're going to go out on dates in a pickup truck!?"

"Yeah, and if some girl doesn't want to go out with me because I drive a pickup that's fine. It'll save us both a lot of bother."

LOL!!! DH picked me up for our first date in an OLD red F-150 truck. The windshield had a HUGE crack across it, and the front seat cover had several rips.

I did wonder if he was really an engineer. LOL I wasn't looking for money, but I did want someone with a stable career like me, and the same values regarding money.

He was just starting out and so was I. He swept me off my feet, and I never looked back.

Oh, OK, I admit I was glad when he sold that big red ugly truck.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Thank you for valuing women for more than just their bodies! So refreshing!
+1.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
LOL, like I said 22 year olds have a lot of growing up to do. dude staged a fake set up Oh prime marriage material
Old 04-23-2015, 04:30 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Amazing, isn't it, how any woman could possibly be offended by being expected to barter sex for entertainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post

(she also sensed they were ultimately after something, if you know what I mean).
Old 04-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrugalPhan View Post
Now your case may not be what I am going to describe, but I think this shows that spending habits *may* change, but only when forced to. If you're the cash cow, and your S.O. is happy that way, they are not going to change, no matter how much you try to make them change. I was that way for my ex (I was the cash cow), the only way I got her to change was to cut her off the CCs and force her to actually spend her earnings. All of a sudden she was much more aware of the cost of things.

Once you enable them you'll have a long fight to get them off the teat. I know I did .
unfortunately that's true with any addiction . money, drugs, alcohol. any thing done to excess is bad.

but I think many folks do change. Remember prior to 2008 when the nation as a whole was living la vida loca. money was cheap and easy and we thought that there would always be time "later". I'm no saint, I've done stupendously stupid things with credit and money. usually a painful situation (job loss, large bills sucking up cash) forces change.

that's why I tell kids to try and find mates with similar "goals". dh and I had widely different money styles but we had the same "goals". we knew what kind of life we wanted for our kids and ourselves.

I also try and get them to see "cause and effect". like I said my son is saving for his first apartment. I remind dudo that he can't drop 200 bucks to go see the Phillies play and expect to get a decent apartment. NO one can get everything.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:50 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

You actually married someone who drove a car without A/C? Walt, you are a good man.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:29 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

I viewed "valuing me for more than my body" as normal male behavior, because I wouldn't hang with any other kind of guy. I simply would not tolerate being treated like a sort of prostitute, who exchanges sex for entertainment, or a walking life-support system for a female sex organ. So those kinds of men stayed away for the most part. Nevertheless, somehow I pretty much always had a date for Saturday night

I mean, the body is a huge part of it or we wouldn't call it "mating," but it's not like men who love you for YOU are such rare beasts. There are a lot of that kind of men around.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Thank you for valuing women for more than just their bodies! So refreshing!
Old 04-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I mean, the body is a huge part of it or we wouldn't call it "mating," but it's not like men who love you for YOU are such rare beasts. There are a lot of that kind of men around.

Amethyst
That's true. Men often get an undeserved bad rap based on the actions of a few.

And, to be perfectly fair, there is no shortage of shallow women with material interests. Male rock stars, movie stars, and athletes all have plenty of female groupies, but male groupies are much more rare.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm pretty sure I married DH for his body. God knows he didn't have a pot to piss in when we married. j/k. Kind of.

I totally agree that you take your time to choose the right one. Financial compatibility and trust are just a few of MANY things you should examine. But most important, in my opinion, is you should really, really, really just LIKE the person you are marrying. You are going to be with this person for life, through thick and thin. This is your lover, your confidant, the other parent to you kids, your best friend, your travel companion, etc. Pretty much the most important person in your life. Take your time. Choose wisely.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:51 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
That's true. Men often get an undeserved bad rap based on the actions of a few.

And, to be perfectly fair, there is no shortage of shallow women with material interests. Male rock stars, movie stars, and athletes all have plenty of female groupies, but male groupies are much more rare.

True.

There are plenty of wonderful men AND women who are not after superficial things from each other. Thank goodness!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Free View Post
I'm pretty sure I married DH for his body. God knows he didn't have a pot to piss in when we married. j/k. Kind of.

I totally agree that you take your time to choose the right one. Financial compatibility and trust are just a few of MANY things you should examine. But most important, in my opinion, is you should really, really, really just LIKE the person you are marrying. You are going to be with this person for life, through thick and thin. This is your lover, your confidant, the other parent to you kids, your best friend, your travel companion, etc. Pretty much the most important person in your life. Take your time. Choose wisely.
+1

It took some stamina/tenacity to "stick it out" and wait/hope to meet the right person; but, lo and behold, I met him when I was 25 (had braced myself that I might not meet somebody like him until at least sometime in my 30's). Figured out he was a "keeper." And now--37 years later-- I will always be grateful for finding him after that wait. We enjoyed 35 years of marriage, hanging in there through many ups and downs.

Now that he has passed, it is truly a pleasure to think of the many ways he blessed my life. He was truly worth waiting for.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:35 PM   #94
Dryer sheet aficionado

Love the stories, I keep rereading to get more peace on letting her go. Ignoring her calls/texts was hard at first but easier now with each passing day. A new habit, like frugality once was

She threw me a curve ball last night but I have not and will not respond. 2 weeks ago she told me she has too many exams the last weekend in April for me to come down. She lives in San Diego (I'm in San Jose) and she texted me last night asking if she could drop by. I think she's staying at her ex-boss's and he flew her up here. Now I'm just hoping she doesn't drop by uninvited.

As I look more and more, I see her lacking character. I should've let her go a long time ago, I saw the character flaws scattered about, but I made every rationalization as I liked her a lot.

Again I really appreciate everyone here helping me see her more clearly. And also seeing the massive variety of people I can meet out there and which lend themselves towards financial independence.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Well, yeah, and because nobody you meet is perfect, and practically-perfect people are often boring, you will find yourself doing this throughout life--and not just about mates. So don't sweat it. Experience is a great teacher, and intuition (aka "gut") a great adviser. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelipeA View Post
I saw the character flaws scattered about, but I made every rationalization as I liked her a lot.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.........As I look more and more, I see her lacking character. I should've let her go a long time ago, I saw the character flaws scattered about, but I made every rationalization as I liked her a lot...............
It sounds trite, but love really is blind. Toss in hormones and sexual attraction and smart people do some pretty stupid things. Ask someone like David Petraeus, for example.

So, don't feel bad, but realize that it is really hard to be objective about relationships.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
smart people do some pretty stupid things. Ask someone like David Petraeus, for example.
Well, at least he never lent that strumpet any money...
Old 04-26-2015, 04:05 PM   #98

Quote:
She threw me a curve ball last night but I have not and will not respond. 2 weeks ago she told me she has too many exams the last weekend in April for me to come down. She lives in San Diego (I'm in San Jose) and she texted me last night asking if she could drop by. I think she's staying at her ex-boss's and he flew her up here. Now I'm just hoping she doesn't drop by uninvited.
So some other guy pays to fly her to San Jose and she uses it as an opportunity to try and get back with you. Nice.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:06 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
It sounds trite, but love really is blind. Toss in hormones and sexual attraction and smart people do some pretty stupid things. Ask someone like David Petraeus, for example.

So, don't feel bad, but realize that it is really hard to be objective about relationships.
We have no reason to think that we have an objective look at this relationship. Big deal, she asked him to lend her some money. We on this board are fantastically tight with our cash. Not everyone would be happy with this, and not everyone would think that the lady is clearly at fault.

Ha
Old 04-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #100

Quote:
You don't have to answer the door if unwelcome callers show up.