Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2015, 04:56 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not 65, but yes, that was the idea, apparently.

I, on the other hand, was trying to live the feminist ideal that the woman should not be fragile, helpless, and needy. (FelipeA, are you listening? :-) )

Now, my Dad, who was old enough to be my grandfather, was brought up on the idea that the man pays for the "pleasure of her company." No sexual innuendo intended...he meant it literally. It sounded quaint, and I probably squirmed to hear it, but the lesson came through loud and clear: Your company is valuable, in and of itself. (So is the man's, of course).

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
If you're around my age (65) I would have been one of the offended ones. Back then it would have been like saying you didn't think I had the capability to pay for the date I asked you out on so you had to help pick up the tab.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I
Now, my Dad, who was old enough to be my grandfather, was brought up on the idea that the man pays for the "pleasure of her company." No sexual innuendo intended...he meant it literally. It sounded quaint, and I probably squirmed to hear it, but the lesson came through loud and clear: Your company is valuable, in and of itself. (So is the man's, of course).

Amethyst
That was exactly the phrase that was used - "The pleasure of her company" - and nothing else.

It was also drilled in that "The only part of a woman's anatomy at which a man may stare are her eyes".

Old 04-30-2015, 06:43 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelipeA View Post

She's contacted me to get her bb gun back. I haven't replied. I'm thinking of dropping it off at her cousin's hair salon with her cousin and she'll eventually get it and figure out where it is. I could send her an email saying I left it there but I'd rather have 0 contact.

Any advice on giving her back the very last of her stuff? It's not worth more than $50 but I still want to give it back without seeing her.
Um...um...I think it would be very unwise for you to carry any type of gun anywhere out in public these days. That could easily be misconstrued and lead to possible arrest. We live in crazy times.

Play it safe...send her the cash equivalent of the value of the BB gun, if she puts the request in writing.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

This young lady is obviously a huge threat to sanity, if not safety.

Call out the National Guard!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:19 PM   #125
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for all the ideas.

I broke up with her in January after it became overwhelmingly clear I couldn't trust her. I just kept talking to her since I really liked her.

I would bring the gun already wrapped and boxed, I called UPS and they said it's okay to ship over. (Don't know how I didn't think of shipping it before, thanks Exrook.)

Considering that she lives in San Diego, giving it back to her in person isn't practical unless she comes to visit her boss again.

I, on the other hand, was trying to live the feminist ideal that the woman should not be fragile, helpless, and needy. (FelipeA, are you listening? :-) )
Yes, I'm listening : )

I know there's tons of women who are strong, resourceful, and very sweet-hearted. I love partnership, so I'm going to take my time to find someone who I can grow with for ideally a long time.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:36 AM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelipeA View Post
I have a 2012 Volt that doesn't help me hide.
I saw something that said women prefer men that drive a sensible vehicle shows a certain level of maturity, a man with a plan not a boy and his toys.

Good dialogue over at fatwallet: " I don't think FWF'ers drive Crown Vics to get chicks.", "They drive them to find wives.".

*FWF'er = Fatwallet Finance'ers

She has probably already been with men with the same level of financial well being as herself. Maybe the Volt and family money drew her to share the wealth with someone more responsible.