Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Brokers target Early Retirees
Old 11-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Brokers target Early Retirees

This is really ugly.

The pitch: Retire early. The catch: Brokers want your cash - USATODAY.com

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's awful!!!

I'm speechless.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post

Sad there are always shysters like that lurking around the financial (lack of) services industry.

Didn't read far enough to see if they have sued the broker and his employer for such outlandish activity. Should be able to win something back in court---after much more worry and dread and emotional toll.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Seems like lots of folks are just sitting ducks. Articles like this get posted here at least once a year. I don't know why folks are so gullible. I guess money management is such a mystery, that they are easily led astray.

Folks just have to work at a place for a decade or two and amass a good 401K, and suddenly they are an easy target.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #5

A friend of mine was just left 3M+ in cash and a house after the death of his MIL. I gave him a list of a few books to read and told him to call Vanguard. A month later he told me he just went to an advisor and he's only charging him 1%. I asked him what the advisor did with the money and he said he had no idea.

You can lead a horse to water..........
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

If he is a good friend hope you persuade him to let you
have a discussion with the 1% advisor.
wcv56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:36 PM   #7

An old saying. You can't teach someone nothin that don't know nothin.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:03 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Well I would look at it more like it is letting the advisor
know that someone else is also concerned, so don't screw up.
Kind of like a curve ahead sign. Nice to know such friends exsist
wcv56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:58 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Amazing. An ex-gf is from Houma and probably knows them. The 9% SWR scares me.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:23 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
The 9% SWR scares me.

At 9%, isn't that an UWR?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

"In the first few years after Ray handed over his nest egg to Morgan Stanley, his portfolio soared as the market boomed."

Geee..... I did this all by myself without an advisor. Rode it up, rode it down and finally recovered.

I think most on this board are plenty smart enough to know how to ride risky equity investments up and down the cycle without paying someone to do it for them! Why, I bet most of us could even figure out how to get scared and sell at the bottom!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:19 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I have quite a few ex co-workers that have lost most of their retirement. I fought and argued until I was blue in the face with a couple of them, but they would not listen. An investment broker was promising them 36%, and they lined up like sheep to slaughter. One or two lucky ones died, the rest are now out working or looking for work.
limpid lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Articles like that keep reminding me that the time I spend educating myself about finances is time well spent... Two weeks ago, my MIL was invited by a friend to attend a personal finance seminar targeting divorced retirees (mostly women)... They got a free lunch and a hard sale by some hot shot "financial advisor" in his 20's. He tried to scare them into insurance products, annuities, and expensive investment options provided through a second class insurance company. My MIL in particular is uneasy wih her current financial situation as a new divorcee in her 60's and the annuity part of sale pitch got her attention... Luckily she left the "seminar" without signing anything... Right now her money is invested in one of VG target retirement fund and if she really wants to go the annuity route, I would want her to first take a look at VG annuity options.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #14

WOW ... this really shows that the general public does need education on investments ala gov'ment new pension laws. ... I kept on envisioning sheep to the slaughter as I read the article. ... very disturbing.
... PT Barnum seems to have been correct.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
WOW ... this really shows that the general public does need education on investments.
And it shows that the general public has greed as a primary driver........ Greed is the enabler that allows scam artists, financial advisors and other low lifes to do their evil work........
Old 11-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #16

Wow .... get caught in a ponzi scheme and kick the cat sue mega corp? What ever happened to PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY?!?!

On the bright side, the dude with the 8.5% withdrawal rate probably SPENT more than he LOST. What are these people smoking?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #17

In my youth (a coupla years ago, as I was gathering info), I had a 'free dinner' and a follow up meeting with the FA. This is after I had already set things up ... and was curious as to what others were advising. So my DW and I go to the meeting with the FA and he starts to tell me about getting guarenteed 25% ... I asked a few questions on how this was possible and got a bunch of mumbo jumbo ... needless to say I tuned out for the rest of the meeting, thanked him, and got outta there. In the car, my DW asked me if we looked THAT dumb. My reply was '... that we learned something today ... , stay away from that guy, watch your wallet, and look both ways before crossing'.

The sad thing about this is that there were quite a few nice folks at that 'free dinner' and I am sure that there were some casualties.

I think the gov'ment should put a warning label on these guys... or a BIG RED F on their foreheads.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Seems intriguing that this story surfaces after how many years? Any advisor promising 25-30% returns is an idiot and a liar, wouldn't you think?

Seems to me there's bad eggs in all professions, but personal investing sells more columns..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Seems intriguing that this story surfaces after how many years? Any advisor promising 25-30% returns is an idiot and a liar, wouldn't you think?

Seems to me there's bad eggs in all professions, but personal investing sells more columns..........
... liars yes... idiot? ... thinking it's the greedy ones who actually buy into this return rate.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
... liars yes... idiot? ... thinking it's the greedy ones who actually buy into this return rate.
The stuff I saw and heard from 1998-2000 was truly astonishing..........

At least I'll know when the next bear market is about to hit, when my 65+ year old clients want to know about how to make 30% a year because "everyone's doing it"..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote