Buckets of Money LIVE

Scrapr

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So Ray Lucia was in Portland (well actually Tigard) Saturday morning. It was free so I went. I'\m interested in learning how to go into the withdrawal phase. I'm 54 but still have 10ish years left. (that darn Great Recession).

I was a bit dissapointed. There was plenty of folks there to hear Ray. I'd estimate 125 on a Saturday at 9:00 am. Of course the few 4-5 brokers working the crowd too. I didn't leave any identifying info. So hopefully no calls. Just coffee and sodas. Very disapointed in that. I was thinking a few donuts, rolls, etc. I sucked down some cafe and a soda while listening to Ray do his schtick.

It appears that his buckets of money really hinge a lot on these untraded REITS. He puts em in Bucket 3 (long term) and claims they throw off 6%. Maybe they do. I don't know. But, he let drop the 10% load. Yowzers. My jaw dropped. Of course I'm a Vanguard Indexer. So anything over .25% and I'm gasping for air. Ray was making it out as you really needed to see one of his advisors to get in on these untraded REITS.

Every other bucket seemed fine. But, he's been pushing Variable Equity annuities on his show. I read his first book (really skimmed it) Went to the show to see it fleshed out a bit. Disappointed in seeing behind the curtain. And where's the dang donuts:confused:

Guess I need to upgrade to Ruth Chris steak dinners. If there's 10% load for coffe what is the load on a RCSH "free" seminar?

Wow! Ray has really changed. We went to see him in Philly in '08 and he had donuts, danish and juice!

Seriously, sounds like the REIT bit is being pushed a good bit more now vs. then even though I seem to recall the typical returns being quoted were 10ish.

The worst thing about Buckets of Money is Lucia - hawking non-traded REITs in particular. His best move was his first book. Nothing new since than except annuitizing 20% after retirement.

I learned a lot from him for about 6 months, then less and less. Otard, Frank Armstrong, and several others have emerged as equally smart and much less cocky.

No donuts because of people like you aren't buying those REITs.

I heard him on his radio show trying to explain that you paid hidden loads on
the traded REITs, you just don't see them. He said you get 6% from the non-trade
vs 4% from traded, that over the long haul, paying the load up front instead of
every year is cheaper.
It involved a big assumption, that you get a extra 2% pop from non-traded REITs.

Anybody on this board can confirm or deny that NT REITs (Today!!) still return
close to 5-6%?? VG REIT yields 3.21%, so if they do, he has a point, long term
you would be better off with NT REITs.

TJ

Back
Top Bottom